Old age pension - tax return

Mrs Trellis

It's that time again! As in previous years, I put OH's teacher's pension on the pink form, copying it over to the blue one. Now, according to the Connexion guide, his state pension on the blue one.

In previous years I put a note to point out the TP is taxed in UK. The Inland Revenue reduced his tax code when the state pension kicked in - so does that mean he has paid UK tax on it? There doesn't seem anyway to put a note to that effect on the blue form.

You should contact the "non-resident's department. The tax code should not reflect the OAP.  We tell everyone to check UK tax codes anyway - many are wrong even without living outside the UK!

The OAP is paid gross but if a deduction is made form a tax code used on other income it is taxed that way.  It is how it is always taxed in the UK if they can.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]It's that time again! As in previous years, I put OH's teacher's pension on the pink form, copying it over to the blue one. Now, according to the Connexion guide, his state pension on the blue one.

In previous years I put a note to point out the TP is taxed in UK. The Inland Revenue reduced his tax code when the state pension kicked in - so does that mean he has paid UK tax on it? There doesn't seem anyway to put a note to that effect on the blue form.[/quote]

Hi,

It seems that the state pension is being wrongly taxed in the UK -this is done by adjusting the teacher's pension tax code .   I have recently found this happening to several friends , in one case for many years.  Contact the tax office that issued the tax coden and explain that you are french resident .  If they say they have not been notified , tell them you will download form "France Individual" and follow the instructions on the form .  

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]You'd think the Inland Revenue could work it out as they write to us at a French address!

So should I put a note to say the OAP has been taxed in UK? (Bit late to change it for 2014).[/quote]

Hi,

The french tax people don't care if the state pension has been taxed in the UK; all they know is that according to the treaty they alone have the right to tax it , and they will.    It's up to you to sort out the UK tax office's mistake.