Re: Senior moment which could have turned out worse

AnOther

I've only placed this in the lighter side as the outcome has not been as serious as it might have and we have both had a good belly laugh over it but it could easily have turned out much much worse.

My OH has been trimming back some Budleas outside our barn and we were planning to take the debris to the dechetterie.

I had to pop out but in my absence she decided to get the trailer out of the barn to load it up.

The drive up to the barn, and the 1st 3 or 4m going into it, is at about 25deg and the trailer weighs almost 200kg, can you guess what's coming ?

Now even I would have though twice about trying to get the trailer out manually but if I had decided to give it a go I most certainly would not have placed myself DOWNHILL of it - she unfortunately did - with the inevitable result that it immediately ran away with her first knocking her to her knees then running over her completely dragging her some 10m or so down the slope and finally coming to rest on top of her when the axle proved too low to pass over her body.

Our elderly French neighbour heard her cries for help but was too frail to really do anything practical so went and fetched a local farmer who happened to be attending to his vines and he managed to extract her.

Fortunately she has escaped with a grazed face (which may well turn into a shiner), 2 grazed knees, and a huge bruise on her hip which will be sore for days I'm sure so I post this just as a warning to pause and think before you act.

Lots of good wishes to your OH, AnOther, and hope she feels more herself soon - she's had a proper shaking up! It could so easily have been worse, and I expect many of us have done things without thinking them through. Hope she's being coddled for a day or two.

If she has arnica cream, that's excellent for knocks and bruises on non-grazed skin. Arnica tablets are also excellent taken before and after operations, falls etc to help prevent bruising, whether grazed or not.I'm also keen on Bach's Rescue remedy after shocks, upsets etc.

My OH used to be sc about such remedies, but has changed his view over the years, and it's better than taking drugs or mother's ruin etc!  [:D]

Never a video around when you need it.  There's a cert £200 you've missed out on on You've Been Framed.

But no, could have been a very different outcome. Good that she was able to see the funny side.

I'm sure a lot of us have done things without thinking them through properly and which could have turned out badly - well I know I have. Mrs Z is amazed I have survived this long.

I am very pleased that it didnt turn out worse and someone nominated her for the Darwin awards, as much as we laugh at them they must be painfull for the close relatives.

I have similar situations both here and in the UK with my trailers, I normally have to manhandle them myself and do it little by little by shuffling wheelchocks, why dont you buy her some to cheer her up? Much more practical than flowers [6]

Thanks you all for the kind sympathies, they have been duly passed on. Cuddles are a tad difficult with the growing aches and pains!

The most surprising thing for me by far is that it even remotely crossed her mind to get the trailer out herself. I was only going to be out for about 40 minutes and I would have gladly got it out with the car before I went if she had asked or I'd thought she would need it before I got back.

I have suggested a re-enactment for a YBF video but unsurprisingly she's not too keen [kiss]

Wasn't there a couple in France who were killed in front of their daughter, trying to stop a runaway car on their sloping driveway?

I think your wife had a very lucky escape.  Thanks for the warning - I've just told my teenage children, who could attempt something like this.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I was going to mention the £250 for the video but Mr.Zoff beat me to it. The one and only time I got involved with a trailer I could have earnt at least £250 for the Video. My trusty Hillman Minx estate broke down on a country lane, with help pushed it into an empty field,shut the gate and phoned friend with pick up truck and trailer. 3 hrs later he picked me up from phone-box about 1 mile from field.No mobiles then. Returned to field to find about 50 young heifers in-situ. They had removed plastic petrol cap and one wing mirror and wiped their rear ends all along the sides. Drove trailer into field,soon as tail gate down they started getting onboard, eating the ropes and chewing bits of wood plus depositing everywhere. We managed to get the off and load the car and quickly drove straight up to gate to avoid large muddy patch. Gate opened inwards and wheels spinning the truck plus car wouldn't reverse. Unload car and I expect you can guess the rest. I actually told my pal he could have the car as I didn't want to see it again and next day bought a Morris J4 van for the pricely sum of £100 which I used everyday for work for four years.

A few years ago an electrician I knew in UK for some reason bought a Toyota Landcruiser he was very proud of it.

One evening after returning to his house he got out of his truck and while walking into his house realised the vehicle was slowly rolling towards his neighbours house.

Foolishly he got in front of this monster and tried to stop it - he ended up trapped between it and his neighbours house.

Both his legs were nearly severed and he had to have one leg amputated and was told he would never walk again - plucky bloke got a false leg and was up and down ladders within three months.

He didn't have much luck a few years later in his mid forties he went to hospital feeling unwell and they kept him in for tests - he died during the night and they never found out exactly what from.

Ouch - but it could have been soooooo much worse.

About 18 years ago, we went to spend a week-end in Surrey with sil and bil, and left 17 year old youngest daughter at home. He boyfriend James, a likable rogue son of a local Headmaster,  decided to borrow my 2 CV (just 17, no licence, no insurance) to go and visit a friend and take him for a 'spin' in my Odile'mobile' - he parked on the steep drive of his mate's by the A47 East of Leics and rang the bell 'I Rob, fancy a drive to the pub?' 'well- yes, said Rob, how are we going to get .....' interrupted by hooting a a crunching noise. My 2 CV had slipped down the drive, right across the A47 between a couple of cars, and was lying on its back in the ditch. They got it all sorted out, including bodywork - and I only found out a few years later. KIDS!  It could also have been a lot worse!

Ouch - but it could have been soooooo much worse.

About 15 years ago, we went to spend a week-end in Surrey with sil and bil, and left 17 year old youngest daughter at home. He boyfriend James, a likable rogue son of a local Headmaster,  decided to borrow my 2 CV (just 17, no licence, no insurance) to go and visit a friend and take him for a 'spin' in my Odile'mobile' - he parked on the steep drive of his mate's by the A47 East of Leics and rang the bell 'I Rob, fancy a drive to the pub?' 'well- yes, said Rob, how are we going to get .....' interrupted by hooting a a crunching noise. My 2 CV had slipped down the drive, right across the A47 between a couple of cars, and was lying on its back in the ditch. They got it all sorted out, including bodywork - and I only found out a few years later. KIDS!  It could also have been a lot worse!