Re: Hazards of the hot weather

Weedon

Being a caring sharing sort of chap I thought I would just warn of potential hazards in this warm weather.

Being so blooming hot I suppose most of us have shed clothing down to the (bare) minimum. Doing a quick bacon sarnie at lunchtime can be quite nasty when that hot oil spits at you.

Remember to tip the seat of the ride-on mower up or else it can give you some painful burns across the bootocks.

More hazardous is the self- propelled motor mower, the one with the bar underneath the handlebars that you give a squeeze too to make it drive. If you are just about the right height if you are not careful it can give you a nasty grab in the families. Then you hobble to take a seat in the lounger you get a second attack from the hot fabric of the lounger across your back and cheeks.

Actually there are some pleasures as an ice cube spilt in your lap can be quite sensual after the initial shock.

Folks in the UK don't know how tough it is out here.

Be careful not to get dehydrated.

In the heat wave of 2003 (much hotter than now) I suffered phlebitis, an pulmonary embolism and then a stroke because of the heat.

It is no joking matter.

Yesterday it was already 37° here..

Be warned.

It is still 31 degrees outside in my courtyard and 33 degrees in the insulated grenier where I am working and it is 10 `O` clock at night!

The grenier would be much hotter but for the insulation but as the lower floors have no insulation on the walls or ceilings the heat is just rising.

Even if I go into the cellar for some respite it is 2o degrees borne out by my incoming "cold" water being the same.

I think that I might just have to break the habit of a lifetime and stary work early in the morning from now on [:(]

[quote user="Chancer"]I think that I might just have to break the habit of a lifetime and stary work early in the morning from now on [:(][/quote]You need an iPhone, it has an app which turns it into an AC [:D][:D][:D]

(private joke [;-)])

[quote user="Weedon"]

Being a caring sharing sort of chap I thought I would just warn of potential hazards in this warm weather.

Folks in the UK don't know how tough it is out here.

[/quote]

Nice one, W.

The one you failed to mention is the 'SOS', otherwise known as the 'Sunshine Oggle Syndrome'.

Had to leave OH at the docs this morning for her 6-mthly repeat prescription: usual 1hr+ wait. Forced to plant myself at the Cafe du Midi with a beer (or 2). The old currant bun in the sky does bring out the skimpiest of kit in some of the local females ............... but mostly tourists[Www]

When OH finally returned, she apologised for keeping me waiting. "Quite right too, I've been bored to death".[6]    

[quote user="NormanH"]Be careful not to get dehydrated.

In the heat wave of 2003 (much hotter than now) I suffered phlebitis, an pulmonary embolism and then a stroke because of the heat.

It is no joking matter.

Yesterday it was already 37° here..

Be warned.

[/quote]

37 C Pah!!!!

A pleasant temperature to some of us.

Try 48 and high humidity

When all those people died during the heatwave in Paris a few years ago, did they die because they went out in the sun or were they at home?  Did they not drink enough water?  How could it be prevented in future?

It's intrigued me as I wasn't in France that summer and so didn't get the news.

There were something like 14,000 heat-related deaths in France in 2003, mainly elderly people. In places there were seven days when temps were over 40 during Augus 2003.

Many families were on holiday at the time, and weren’t aware that their relatives or neighbours couldn’t cope. Returning from holiday must have been a big shock for many families. A lot of people set off for a month on campsites etc, and it was weeks before all the bodies were claimed.

The 35 hour week got some of the blame, and the government apparently didn’t start to react in time to have effect.

Particularly in the north people weren’t used to such high temperatures, and houses didn’t have aircon; normally houses cooled at night, giving relief from heat, but didn’t do so as temperatures stayed so high. Elderly people with families or in care homes tended to cope better, as they had people around to make sure drank plenty of water, didn’t over-exert themselves. Often, weaker people who had support managed and survived, whereas fitter elderly people on their own often died.

I remember reading about that and thinking what a difference just a small amount of support could have made; apparently the heat day and night made people confused, and they tried to keep to their routine, rather than resting, drinking water, wearing less.

I seem to remember that the Pentecost holiday was given up by public service worker in 2005, to raise money to prevent anything like that happening in the future, but that was later dropped.

We were on a camping holiday in France in 2003 (august), under canvas. It was definitely not a comfortable time. We even considered packing up and flying back to the UAE just because of the temperatures.

Aircon makes a massive difference, and having, at the time, a black car without A/C made life much more uncomfortable.

• 3 weeks later...
Before you go out on a hot weather make sure that you are feeling well first, that you are not obese and dont have similar cardiovascular problems etc. Also make sure that you drink plenty of water and try to wear a hat as well.

[url=http://www.orcpad.com]Cool Games[/url] | [url=http://www.orcpad.com]Cool Free Games[/url]