Re: Music to make you cry

frexpt

Don't know whether anyone will feel the same as me about the new tv advert for Sky Sports, called "The Word", featuring Eric Cantona?

The ad wends its tangled way for 30 seconds or so, as most things involving M Cantona do, but in the background a certain piece of music is building to a crescendo.

It was with absolute horror that I realised that it was the same piece that Brittany Ferries used a while back to wake you..........usually just after you have finally managed to drop off to sleep, on the overnight ferries from Portsmouth!

A beautiful waltz by Shostakovic, spoiled forever, by the thought of yet another marathon drive through France, feeling half-dead!!!!

For those who have not seen the ad, here is a link.........

http://www.tvadmusic.co.uk/2010/08/sky-sports-the-word-by-eric-cantona/

Music to make you cry ............

Last year I found the original films online of British and Australian POWs being rescued from the Pacific Ocean, September/October 1944, 3 days after the ships they were on had been torpedoed by American submarines, the rescuers being the submariners who had torpedoed them.

I've met some of the survivors and the submariners, all of whom were so effected by this that it has informed many of their lives subsequently.

Link to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVPux2y3f0&feature=related

The reason it makes me cry ........

One of the men being rescued is my father ..............

And every time I hear Carole King sing it now, it really makes me well up.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

The reason it makes me cry ........

One of the men being rescued is my father ..............

[/quote]

Well, I guess that puts the rather flippant title of my post into perspective!

My own father, a couple of years younger than Tony F's was a young Merchant Navy engineer on the Atlantic convoys during WW2.  He had stories of allied ships in front and behind his being sunk by U-boats.  Also recounted picking up survivors (and no doubt bodies), not only from the allied ships, but also crew members from the U-boats that the Royal Navy managed to sink.  Bound to have a profound affect.......

RH - snap -

'He ain't heavy...' - played before my younger brother's funeral - (he was 40) - that gets to me every time I hear it...

'Danny Boy' - 'Blow the Wind Southerly' - my mother's funeral.

Elgar's 'Nimrod' - no reason just does...

'The Lark Ascending'....

Last Sunday's Telegraph colour supplement - article about memories truggered by summer hit songs  - what about 'Summer in the City' - 'Summertime Blues'....oh the heady days of summer and youth...!!!    (Sorry - post-swerve - but a bit of counter-balance !!)

Chessie