Re: Macca is getting to look like....

mint

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I am going grey with dignity, although my girlfriend's 11 yo daughter keeps telling me to dye my hair. She says her dad's older than me and has no grey hair at all... Dyeing is not for me, and it works for Richard and George, so why not me?[/quote]

My Dad had black hair and I always thought he dyed it. When he was 81 he was taken in to hospital and spent a long time there before he died. As time passed I realised that there were no grey or white roots showing so his hair colour was natural.

Personally, I did not start with the Grecian 2000 early enough.

Age is a wonderful thing. Now I am an older lady, I actually find older men  far more attractive than young ones. I look at young blokes, and they can be the most handsome on the planet, but they feel like they are kids and my 'maman' reactions come into play, so that little spark of 'desire' or what ever it is, doesn't happen anymore.

If I now 'prefer' older fellas, well certainly not all, as baby faced ones who look like Paul, I now find creepy looking. Please bear in mind that I really 'loved' Paul when I was a girl AND he was a young man.

Apart from his great music, the great thing about Paul was that he didn't go for the most beautiful girls around, even when he was in his prime and I like that about him.

As with everything, each to their own.

[quote user="idun"]

Apart from his great music, the great thing about Paul was that he didn't go for the most beautiful girls around, even when he was in his prime and I like that about him.

As with everything, each to their own.

[/quote]

I agree, idun. He and Linda seem to have been faithful to eachother during their marriage, unlike most other musicians of those free and easy days.

And he can still sing - his voice has hardly changed since he was a young man.

As Frenchie says, SW17, I think you picked a terrible photo!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

And the gorgeous

Alain Delon  [:P]

Paul never did it for me - not my type.  But then neither did the Beatles (although I did see them live early on.)

I have no problem with old, just old pretending to be young.

[/quote]

Yes, Coops, in a nutshell......after all OH was 80 earlier this month and I still find him quite endearing!

Changing the subject slightly whilst remaining with old f***s (me in this case) - where did this Macca (Bazza, Shazza, Tazza, Boozza etc etc) thing start?  I think it's rather horrid myself.  Sorry, Sweets - I know you only started the thread, not this trend.

Here you go coops , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macca

"Macca (or "Macker" in Ireland) is a common British nickname for somebody whose surname begins with the Gaelic prefix Mac or Mc (meaning "son of")."

I am a "Mc" but have never been called Macca , I was Mac when at school and my mate was Loo ....(Lewis).

I dont know when Paul became Macca but a hell of a lot of people know who you mean when you say Macca.

Term of inderment to me , along with Brucie , Cilla and a whole lot more.[:D]

Interesting, Krusty  - although I know several people with Mc/Mac surnames and have never heard them referred to as such. 

So, OK, then why was Paul Gasgoigne (I think that's who I mean) Gazza?  And why do I hear people called Sharon referred to as Shazza and Barry as Bazza etc , mainly by Estuary-ites and the Meedja?  I'm sure these are relatively recent "innovations".

Personally, I think it's laziness - like referring to an Application as an Ap' and an Episode as an Ep'.  Yuk.

Yours,

BoF (who had no idea who this thread was about until she looked at the picture - and even then she wasn't certain.[:-))])

Yes I can see that Alain Delon was has always been very attractive and like many men even improved with age.

Take the flatering photograph of Macca, take away the wig (or maybe it is just died hair) photoshop on a slap-head and he would look like a very old version of the ageing Gary Glitter.

I think without the hair, which may or not be his own and may or not be died, you can see why so many of us men feel the need to die our grey hairs or wear ridiculous looking syrups!! [:D] (For you Frenchie, syrup (of figs) = wigs, rhyming slang).

I watched a daytime programme in the UK the other day, the one where ginks buy property at auction and do them up and they get in two local estate agents to value them blah blah blah........... Cant remember the name though.

Anyway they always seem to feature the same "media friendly" auctioneer, they even now use him as a talking head for his views on how well the renovation has been done etc what the local market value would be etc, lord knows why he should know. He always looked a quite youthfull chap until the camera betrayed him wearing a full jet black syrup over a very grey baseline, he looked like a mohican badger, it was easy to imagine him with his actual bald slap-head, the wig, on TV at least took 20 years off him but boy would you laugh if you met him in person.

How about Eddie Jordan then? Rumour has it that he wears a syrup, in all the years of watching TV footage of him the camera will never allow you to see his neckline at the rear, one time he was joyfully pushed in the swimming pool by his victorious colleagues on camera, he looked panicked and furious in equal measure as it looked for a minute like a small furry animal was going to abandon his head and strike out for safety. I bet there were a few redundancies after that!

Everyone thinks my OH dies his hair, but he doesn't, and I'd know. He wouldn't have a clue without the assistance of the lovely Idun, and that is a fact. And if did ask, I'd say he was a silly old fart and to leave well alone, me being me, would anyone expect me to say any different[;-)]! Anyway, he's 60 and has  tiny whisps of grey hair at the temples just starting to show and the rest of his hair is very dark apart from his neckline where there are grey hairs which get razored off with a hair cut. He has grey whiskers too. In his case it's a family thing his uncle didn't get grey hair properly until he was a great age.

Still look at Alastair Darling, dark eyebrows and white hair, just like a friend of ours. 

When we were in our early 20's a lot of my mates paid loadsa money to have grey highlights à la "Wham" etc, I didnt need to I was already going grey, my uncle in his late 40's looked great with his very thick wavy salt n pepper hair, my grandad with a full shock of brilliant white hair looked great as well.

All in all I had a lot to look forward to as it didnt seem to be that baldness was in my genes, although my father on the other side of the family was thinner on top.

The only slight problem was I didnt like the intermediate stage so was left with the choice with dying my hair darker or greyer  for a few years, I opted for the just for men between I guess the ages of 30 and 40 and then allowed my natural grey distinction to grow out which by that time covered the whole of my head, to be fair in the latter years I had gone for a very grey shade and had never wanted to recreate the black hair of my youth.

I do know some people who still have pretty much jet black hair in their 50' and 60's and it does indeed look natural but older guys with died black hair look as unnatural as French women with the red colorant or the English with a blue rinse., in fact I think they look much worse, at least womens hair colourings can resemble a natural colour.

IF I was going to dye my hair, it'd be blue. A la Marge Simpson, but short, maybe a punk look really if anything.

Not sure what a blue rinse is, I know there it is an expression ,but I have forgotten what it means.

So tell me what is it with all these French women over a certain age and the dreaded red dye ? that seems to be all the rage in the deepest country side of France. I always say to my wife when we go into the supermarket shame they don't speak English as I would love to shout out, Ginger!!! because most women in the shop would turn around. No offence meant just my sense of humour. [:D]

I have no idea what it is about the 'red' hair thing. Even an english friend of mine in France got it done, her hairdresser recommended it. Maybe that is why I am grey, I prefered to let nature do it's job.

One of my first boyfriends had the most gorgeous long red hair.  When I mentioned it to him a couple of years ago (we are still good friends but he's nearly bald now and what hair he has left is grey) he almost yelled at me that he had never had red hair.   Such a shame that a natural physical attribute is so villified that it makes the owner (who has no control over it) so ashamed of it.  If we took a bit less notice of the physical attributes people are born with and have no say in, we might begin to judge people by who they are, and not what they look like.  I cannot imagine that the human race would be worse off as a result.

It's one of the most pleasant and appealing aspects of a forum - we get to like people (or not) before we meet them, and judge them on what they say, not what they look like. 

It's not 'real' red hair which is not nice; it's the peculiar colour that French women dye their hair - not a colour that's ever existed in nature!

I think Paul McCartney (NOT Macca!) looks ridiculous with his youthful hair (wig, inplants whatever) on top of that saggy pensioner face.

I'm another who doesn't do make up. I have my hair cut nicely (tidily anyhow), shower frequently and that's it!

[quote user="Pommier"]It's not 'real' red hair which is not nice; it's the peculiar colour that French women dye their hair - not a colour that's ever existed in nature! I think Paul McCartney (NOT Macca!) looks ridiculous with his youthful hair (wig, inplants whatever) on top of that saggy pensioner face. [/quote]I agree.  It is a shame though that natural redheds are made fun of - I rather like red hair (Damien Lewis, David Caruso, Alan McNeish[:P])

What I find surprising is that somebody with so much money has made such a poor choice.  Looking at the most recent pics of M. Delon, it would not surprise me if he didn't have his hair dyed (as opposed to died, which is what it seems happened to the rat on PM's head) but, if it has, it has been done very well.  Why, oh, why, can't McCartney, with all his money, grow old a bit more gracefully and at least get a bit more grey added to make the thing (whatever it is) look a bit more realistic?  He just looks plain daft. 

Sorry, Frenchie!  On a general point though, I doubt whether the average celebrity is much fun to live with for just this reason - they are far too self-obsessed and the media encourages them to be so.  Not that such things are ever likely to trouble the likes of me - these days or in the past!