Re: M E R C I

Frenchie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back.

I only belong to this and another forum (completely different topics) and I always think it is a shame that people feel that they cannot have their say without feeling harrassed for doing so and therefore leave the forums.

Im sure that some people leave comments that they wouldnt dream of doing face-to-face and they only do so because they can hide behind their computers.

Better to say nought than upset someone, thats just me though.

Hope you stick around as you have been an asset to this forum, as said, report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

[quote user="bettyboop"]Welcome back. I only belong to this and another forum (completely different topics) and I always think it is a shame that people feel that they cannot have their say without feeling harassed for doing so and therefore leave the forums. I'm sure that some people leave comments that they wouldn't dream of doing face-to-face and they only do so because they can hide behind their computers. Better to say nought than upset someone, that's just me though. Hope you stick around as you have been an asset to this forum, as said, report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.[/quote]

I think your right there, I wouldn't write what I would not say to a persons face, its a bit like phoning somebody rather than say it face to face. People always disagree about something but the fact that another does not seem to agree with you and states their case which is different to yours does not mean they are a bully, just different. In the past I have come across many who when somebody disagrees throw their teddy in the corner, collect their ball and go home rather than try and state their case in a calm and rational way, perhaps they get over passionate about the given subject and it clouds their logic, I don't know, but we all have a right to our opinions be they right or wrong.

[quote user="Quillan"]Perhaps the problem comes when fact gets in the way of a wrong opinion?[/quote]

But, Q, are you always able to distinguish fact from fiction?

I know I can't but then I don't claim to have particularly wonderful critical faculties![:)]

Cyber bullying

cyber-bullying.jpg

Definition

Cyber bullying is defined as the use of Information Communications Technology (ICT), particularly mobile phones and the internet, deliberately to upset someone else.

Maybe that is what I felt.. [Www]

With that definition then I was most certainly cyber bullied when I posted my very first post ever on Living France and was for quite some time afterwards. The posts were not even to upset, but were totally agressive in nature. I was to be at least put in my place, or best got rid of. Obviously I am made of sterner stuff than that.[6]

Iduns experience was entirely different with, if I remember correctly someone deliberatley publishing her private information on line (Idun, please correct me if I am wrong) That was way before the time of mods, and not long after the forum first started.

Lots went on then that wouldn't be tolerated now, luckily things have evolved.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Cyber bullying

Definition

Cyber bullying is defined as the use of Information Communications Technology (ICT), particularly mobile phones and the internet, deliberately to upset someone else.

Maybe that is what I felt.. [Www]

[/quote]

The definition of cyber-bullying is misleading as it does not define initially bullying but only considers the medium by which the bullying is effected.  In particular it makes no reference to the repetitive nature of bullying over a period of time.

Yes, my private info was published. My was that poster mad that I had posted, I was obviously the biggest baddest troll on the internet. They said that I knew nothing about France, then posted my french address and french phone number, along with my name. So, if I lived in France, maybe I knew something about France? just something that the idiot had obviously not considered in spite of me saying that I had lived in France for a long time too, but they weren't having any of that.   

However, it certainly was not just that person who was 'attacking' me. It felt like I had lit blue touch paper and forgot to  stand back. A whole host of rose coloured specs people jumped on me, some with vigour, some just disagreeing vehementally. And a few stood up for me too, I haven't forgotten them either[:)]. 

So different experience, well  I think it was worse really.

Using the info Frenchie has given I have been bullied so many times I can't even count. Honestly, what are we really saying here is that if somebody says something you dislike and it upsets you then they are bullying you. Well I dislike Tony Blair and anything he says (I am probably not alone) does the mean he is bullying me? Saying something you dislike does not in any way mean you are being bullied. Calling you names like "stupid cow", "w*anker", "Fat slut" or some extremely personal comment about you on a public forum  in a threatening way, now that could be called bullying or simply just plain offensive and would not be tolerated. If people simply don't like, or disagree with what you are saying and say so that is not bullying. Lets be frank about this we are talking about the DSK thread and if the moderators thought there was bullying then some form of action would have taken place. There was no bullying and no action was taken. If anyone reading that thinks differently then perhaps it might be best if they didn't post or read the forum because they are sure going to see a few things they dislike.

[quote user="idun"]Fair comment, so I was attacked and then bullied a little? But does it count as bullying if the bullying is water off a duck's back?[/quote]

"Sticks & stones will break my bones but words will never harm me!"

All relative to the particular sensitivity and sensibilities of the victim.

Often a primary school pupil will be subjected to relatively mild bullying but this will be done by a collective group making the consequences serious for the victim, often due to the resulting alienation from his peer group.

Pacha, words can and do harm.  Isn't that one of the reasons that one can now no longer use words like "cripple", "spastic" etc and not come across as insensitive?

I know it's easier said than done but, in a big way, it's difficult to be the subject of "bullying" if one refuses to adopt the role of "victim".

And I'm not talking about children or the mentally unstable here.  If you are a fully-grown up person and you are in full charge of your faculties, then you should be able to defend yourself against bullying .....but, of course, there are limits.

As you have pointed out, Pacha, it would be hard to avoid a bunch of fives....[:'(]