French pension

johnycarper

We have been here for 10 years and running a business so paid taxes over here also for our English company pension,I just wondered if anyone has any idea,

a.roughly is the french pension worth chasing when we reach 65.

b.is there anyway we can see what its worth.

We will be returning for good to the uk early next year.

Thanks

There is no 'state pension' as such in France. If you joined the correct 'chambers' for your profession then you would have paid into a scheme recognised by them. These schemes are run by the companies that typically run the mutuals as well so it won't be a lump payment but a specific payment to a specific source. Every year you will receive a statement showing how much you have put in and what your entitlement will be when you retire at the pre determined age because the age of retirement varies depending on what you do for a living. In short if you ain't had a statement then you have nothing. You can buy the way buy up to 7 years worth of UK state pension stamps if you are short on your existing stamps under the new UK state pension scheme and it ain't much either.

[quote user="johnycarper"]We have been here for 10 years and running a business so paid taxes over here also for our English company pension,I just wondered if anyone has any idea,

a.roughly is the french pension worth chasing when we reach 65.

b.is there anyway we can see what its worth.

We will be returning for good to the uk early next year.

Thanks[/quote]

Hi,

I would think it would be worth applying for it when you get to  retirement age; if you give details to the UK pensions office you will be paid a combined pension by the UK  ;

Here is a Calculator issued by the government ;

http://www.marel.fr/

[quote user="idun"]The state never sent us a statement only the complementaire ever did.

http://www.la-retraite-en-clair.fr/cid3190813/retraite-auto-entrepreneurs.html

Does this help JC???

[/quote]

This have changed and continue to change Idun. Bit like computers, turn you back for a minute and there is a new one or something changes.

Only valid if you were registered as an Auto Entrepreneur. If you were a Micro BIC or any other form of 'reel' then that link woud not be applicable.

parsnips has already provided the link to the simulation:

http://www.marel.fr/

As you will see it deals with:

"Travailleur indƩpendant'

and allows you to calculate:

Le montant de votre pension Ć  cette date selon les diffĆ©rentes hypothĆØses d' Ć©volution de vos revenus
Les incidences si vous partez plus tƓt ou plus tard

Basically there are two different things to consider.

1) Eligibility

This is calculated taking into account the total number of years you have paid into pension schemes UK and France combined

2) How much you get

I am pretty sure that you will be eligible for both a French 'complimentaire' pension and a UK one, but you need to  try the simulation to get an idea of how much.

I have three (tiny) French pensions, one from each 'branch' I worked in, plus an OAP from the UK which in my case is full since I paid 32 years worth of contributions and when I got to 65 the qualifying numner was 30.  I think that has changed.

Yes my UK pension is independent of the French ones  despite the 'rules'.

I applied for them first in France and there was no communication between the countries, then a bit later I applied for the OAP direct to the UK.

This is not how it is supposed to work, but it is how in fact it did.