Re: I miss Dick!

Ivor Nidea

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="woolybanana"]He has retired, dotes on his grandchild and posts on facebook.[/quote]
As I remember he was already in his dotage when he posted here.[:)]
[/quote]

Er, "dotage" as in second childhood?

Yeah, I'd go along with that.

Well!! Would you Adam and Eve it!

I was watching the Adam Hills comedy show on Ch4 tonight and there was the Dick Smith Oz advert. That's what I call being ahead of the game.

Talking of Dog...Mrs Tooting was. I think Dog was the one who used to fly Indian Fighting Kites wasn't he?

YES!  That was Dog.  I asked him where in France he got his rice paper to make his kites from and he was flabbergasted because he couldn't imagine how I'd have known about that!

I never let on to him that my dad used to build me kites made of rice paper [:D]

Hope he's not reading this now or I am well and truly rumbled.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Renaud wrote the following post at 26/01/2013 23:03: Dick Smith was near to being the soul of this forum, it is poorer for the lack of his postings. Rubbish, IMHO.[/quote]

I totally agree, Steve.  Not only rubbish but BLUSTER to boot!

I liked DS. I know that I used to drive him mad sometimes, and we didn't agree about lots of things, but I still liked his posts. There are a few posters I miss, and it wasn't as if we would always agree, far from it, but I liked and respected their point of view.

If you have some time to spare it's nostalgic to look through old threads . Some - eg Health - go back to 2001.

Here's one from 2006 in Other Topics started by DS:

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/1/695960/ShowPost.aspx#695960

I always was entertained by the postings of Dick Smith and Gluestick, often I did not agree with them and often disliked the way they attacked others entertaining though it may have been the forum is a better place without it.

I think I would have quite liked them in real life, one of them sent me a PM when he was being banned, I think the forum allowed him to say goodbye like that effectively, he seemed very surprised and regretfull which surprised me as I had seen it coming a long way off.

There are several who have been banned that would have been an asset were they able to curb their worst excesses and hence remain on the forum.

I draw the line however at saying publically "I miss dick!!" [:-))] as I am not that kind of a boy [;-)]