Re: Back to the Holiday Home for winter !

Frederick

I jokingly told my next door neighbours if we get snowed in this winter I may be seeing them sooner than they expect

I have just seen this long range winter forecast not good ...... and now the latest power price increase today Npower is going up 11.1% for dual fuel. At this rate we OAP's could be following the lifestyle of the Canadian Snowbirds who head for Florida and perhaps reopening up our holiday homes ...... Any body already doing it heading back to warmer France when it gets really cold ?

The Forecast I have just read

November Snow & Cold - As Forecast 7 Months Ahead

As we head into next week it will remain largely unsettled, with further periods of heavy showers and windy conditions developing for many parts of the country. Temperatures are also likely to feature at around or slightly above the seasonal average to begin with for most parts. However, as we progress throughout the final part of October and into November, it is likely to turn significantly colder for many parts of the country. There will also be the additional risk of some developing wintry weather in places and severe widespread frosts during the evenings, especially in parts to the north of the country.

It is also likely to become progressively colder and increasingly wintry as we progress throughout November, especially in the second half of the month. This will bring the risk of some significant snowfall in places, especially in parts to the north of the country. However, some parts to the south of the country are also at risk of seeing some unusually early falls of snow in November. There may also be the potential for some record-breaking conditions to develop in terms of snowfall amounts and overall temperatures. This really will be a major shock to the system after a warm start to autumn (as forecast 6 months ahead). These conditions will also prevail into what is likely to be another horror winter, which could have scenes reminiscent to the UK and Ireland winter of 1962/63 in scale of severity.

You keep that weather in the UK please, Fredo. I am quite happy with the largely dry and warm autumn we have been having, touch wood and diddle Bobo's dangling ears. Long may it last.

Anyway, passing the winter in the Lower Vendee swamp is not a very attractive proposition either with all that flooding, storms and OAP's being drowned in their burrows!

You have one advantage over me Wools ... If you do get snow you must have the best hill in the Vendee to ski down .. I knackers me just walking up from your riverside car park . You have a good restaurant on the way up ... I like where you are and almost bought a house in Mache

Frederick, I think you will find that the long range forecast holds good for France as well, following the trend of much wetter and colder winters in Northern Europe over the last few years.

For a true comparison with the Florida snowbirds you need to get much further south to the Canary Islands, which shares the same lattitude with Florida, as the relatively short distance as the crow flies between Dorset and the south Vendee, is not sufficient for a meaningful improvement in the winter climate and in fact many areas of inland France will be a lot colder than Dorset, which benefits from the moderating effects of the Gulf Stream..

Even where I am on the Med, recent winters have been abysmal!

I have a certain cynicism over the accuracy of long range forecasts. I have seen too many that were for want of a better word just plain wrong. For example last year we were told it was going to be a wonderful barbeque sommer in stead of the poor one we actually got and this year the weather only improved after the Met office assured us we were in for 10 years of cold wet summers.

In recent years the Daily Express has had headlines promising/threatening new ice age winters. But this has not accurred.  Thus demonstrating the Excesses talent for detting things wrong[:D]

[quote user="Sprogster"]

Frederick, I think you will find that the long range forecast holds good for France as well, following the trend of much wetter and colder winters in Northern Europe over the last few years.

For a true comparison with the Florida snowbirds you need to get much further south to the Canary Islands, which shares the same lattitude with Florida, as the relatively short distance as the crow flies between Dorset and the south Vendee, is not sufficient for a meaningful improvement in the winter climate and in fact many areas of inland France will be a lot colder than Dorset, which benefits from the moderating effects of the Gulf Stream..

Even where I am on the Med, recent winters have been abysmal!

[/quote]

Thank you Dismal Jimmy, that is all I need. Another winter like last year and I go south, a long way south and I don't bl**** come back!