Misunderstanding the English...

NormanH

Surely it was not just the french (from all over France) that lived in my old region that were never ever ever on time!!!! The expression le quart d'heure savoyard which was supposedly to cover that lateness, which was often a demi-heure and the rest!!!! Could even be an hour.

Fashionable........... mon oeil![Www]

No wonder most french cooking is so easy and flexible and doesn't spoil when people never turn up on time.

And it isn't just us english speakers, how often I have seen french people say something is lovely or good or nice and then the grimace as they look away.

Just people, that is what they do.

GG is right, it's often called le quart d'heure de midi here ... but often stretches to une demi heure  ...

Even in the north of France (we have French friends in 77), it happens - they told us that the stated time of arrival is the time at which French people leave the house, no matter how long it might take to get there!

But it is not always true, one of our French friends is always avant l'heure, and I won't talk about about Swiss friends - on the dot, or even one minute before!

Can be a nuisance if you are not quite ready for them!

[quote user="Judith"]

But it is not always true, one of our French friends is always avant l'heure, and I won't talk about about Swiss friends - on the dot, or even one minute before!

Can be a nuisance if you are not quite ready for them!

[/quote]

If we were early, we'd always sit in the car until it's time!

• 3 months later...