Refund of Taxe d'Habitation

Mrs Trellis

Last year we got our bill - to be paid with 2--3 weeks - and when I asked if we could pay it monthly I was told it was for 2014 so I should pay it now. A few months later it was refunded.

I didn't organise to get the taxe onto monthly instalments so this year again paid in full by cheque. We've just had a letter saying it will be refunded!

I don't know why as, though our income isn't huge, it must be above the rate that qualifies for help. A friend who is 77 had the same experience. We are under 70. I paid before the deadline as I didn't want a penalty for late payment. Why didn't they send the letter saying we don't have to pay before the payment deadline? Silly me, it's France!

I have had exactly the same thing happen this year.

I delayed paying the tax to be honest, but when I did, last Monday, the lady in the office wanted to fine me for late payment.

I told her I thought that would be criminal, jokingly of course, at which point she waived the fine.

The very next day a letter arrived to say that I didn't have to pay. The money will be refunded in March or, if I claim by November 10th, it will be refunded within 3 weeks. Needless to say, the letter arrived on December 1st.

So, how many people has this happened to and how much interest will be earned by taxman by March?

I too have no idea why I don't have to pay, unless it's to do with my disabled daughter.

I'm slightly worried that one day they'll decide they made a mistake and ask for it all back! So I hesitate to ask them why they refunded the tax.

Similarly, our income tax letter said we should pay 400+ euros but they only wanted 50. We aren't usually asked to pay income tax here as OH has a teacher's pension so all tax is collected in UK except for my small state pension.

It's all a mystery here - see my post re the driving licence saga!

When I went online, I saw a different letter posted which showed the deadline.

I hope that I read it correctly.

Here is a link to that letter; http://proxy-pubminefi.diffusion.finances.gouv.fr/pub/document/18/19996.pdf

Hope that helps a little.

So someone who was exonerated in 2014 will be again this year even though they now earn more and dont qualify, as you said - WHY?

Also why are people who have never been exonerated now being told they will be refunded or dont have to pay.

I never filled out a tax return until I had income to declare, I thought that they would not believe that I had been living on nothing and wanted a quiet life, I filled one out (late) for 2014 and 2 very late backdated ones for 2013 and 2012, this years taxe d'hab gave me a 90% exoneration, had I been over 60 it would have been a full one, this was based on my low RFR for 2014, given that my RFR's for 2013 and 2012 were zero I went into the hotel des impots today to ask them for a taxe d'hab refund for 2014 and 2013.

No chance I was told [:(] I am too late, yet on the other hand they are giving the taxes back to those who should pay them without even explaining why!

She did however refund all of my taxes foncières for 2014 but I think that was just to get rid of me, it was in the form of a dégrèvement, in the past I have just set them off againts what I had to pay, will they send me a cheque for this one?

Well, I am now a little more clear on why I am exempt. All to do with my age and household income, etc.

Nice to know my Tax Foncieres will be less in the future too. Perhaps!!

Here are two links to the information I found should anyone wish to read up on what's what re Tax Hab' & Tax Fonc'.

Sorry, you will have to copy and paste.

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/local-property-taxes/

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/local-property-taxes/fonciere/

I too received a demand for the taxe d’habitation several months ago, even though for the last ten years I had been registered as being handicapped. I did put this down to the rise in the exchange rates and therefore exceeded the tax threshold.

Then last week I received another letter stating that my taxe d’habitation would be repaid directly back into my bank account within weeks which as you can imagine, I was very pleased about..

You also need to be over 60 IIRC or registered unemployed or other stuff, a plain Under 60 inactif like me will not get an exoneration even with an RFR of zero, I get a partial exoneration based on 3.44% of something or another, it also means that I have to pay the redevance audiovisuel as I am not (completely) exonerated from taxe d'hab.

I made a mistake in my last posting, the degrevement I was given yesterday was for taxe d'hab, having read up and printed out legal texts I'm going back to battle for more going back over 3 years.

An update for you all.

Today, I went back to the office where I paid the bill.

I showed the lady the letter concerning the exemption and she asked if I would like a refund.

804 euro's is a lot of money so there was no way I was going to say no.

Anyway, she filled in a few lines on a form, got me to put my address and signature on it and that was that. A refund should be forthcoming in January she said.

I presume she means January next year!!!

Unlike most French bureaucratic things, this was quite easy.

Merry Christmas.