How can I empty address bar / previous google entries

Beryl

Every place I have ever visited on the net seems affix itself into my address bar and any term that I've ever googled pops up when I try and do a new google seach.

How can I get rid of all this? - in words of less than 3 syllables please![:$]

Been visiting those naughty sites again, Beryl?[;-)]

Simple: open Google: put in "A"; move the curser onto the first entry you wish to remove (which highlights it); press "Delete". proceed to the next.

Then proceed to "B" etc right the way through until "Z".

Finished.

The only annoying thing is that if you wish to retain some entries, the list autoscrolls and you have to go right down again![:-))]

This will cleanse the main search fields.

Cleansing the address bar at the top of IE is another matter!

For this go to "tools" Dropdown menu. Select "Internet Options".

Select Temporary Files. Delete Cookies: then delete Files. Done.

MR G Why are you suggesting deleting cookies just to get rid of  the address bar  history?

If you delete cookies you will  have lots of problems Beryl with any passwords or other things that you have set up, like your LF log in for example. 

All you need to do is to go to Tools/internet options and clear history.  You could also delete your temporary files as Gluestick suggests ( emptying your cache as its sometimes referred to) as this is necessary from time to time, but NOT cookies.

I did delete cookies and had to log back in but luckily could remember my password. Thanks for trying though GS

Did the bit that you said Ron and it has done the trick , second time today you have helped this damsel in distress [:D][:D] 

Ummmmmm..................

As a matter of course, I always delete the cookies.

These allow what is called Consumer Profiling software to report back to a whole raft of places over which you have no control. Worse, the details are often sold to Third Parties, who then use what is called Data Mining to assemble details about you, without your knowledge.

This data is extracted from the web servers of the site we all visit, without our knowledge.

At present, this area is a very disputed part of eCommerce and online marketing.

Personally, I always save my log-on details and the effort of re-entering this data is not too bad: personally, I also periodically cleanse the whole system. If you go to the folder "Documents and Settings", you'll find a whole raft of stuff which persists, even after you have used the clean-up tools provided by IE.

Still, we are all different!

I think you have been reading too many IT books Mr G  that are really scaring folk into buying spyware protection.  If you have a half decent virus and E mail  protection, set up your security settings properly on your PC so that you only download the cookies that you want IE  those that have security certificates, none of the stuff that you are worrying about can happen.  Deleting cookies is really OTT and does not actually do what Beryl wanted which was to remove the history on her address bar,  but each to his own[Www].

I do this quite often and while it looks like they are deleted, they still appear on the drop down list. Very annoying. Once it approaches 'overload' AOL deletes the lot. I also delete old e-mail by going into AOL's Manage E-mail. They told me recently that I had over 6,000 e-mails that I thought I had deleted.

I don't know much about this computer malarkey but I just click on the word 'google' beside the google search bar and then click on 'delete search history'; am I missing something?  I just wish my offspring would do, it then I wouldn't know where they have been!

[quote user="Owens88"]

Why is this in the lounge not the computer/telephony area ?

Why are there not three different answers ? I thought that windows demanded at least 3 different fixes for all problems ? (smile)

[/quote]

Only three, John?[:D]

All depends which SP you are on: and how many "Roll Ups" you have installed: how many security patches you've installed: and how much you actually know!

And, I suppose, which "Expert" you are relying upon................

Or you could always run Mozilla Firefox in a Linux environment, of course.

[quote user="Owens88"]

[/quote]

Sorry, I was having a chardonnay at the time [;-)] Yes it should have been in the computer area, but have you see it lately? [geek] I thought I might get answers I could understand here.

Click on Tools at top of the page then Internet options then  contents then click auto content. Remove the ticks in all the boxes except forms and click clear forms. Now put back the ticks in all the boxes and OK. Google is now cleared.

Hope that solves your problem.

Baz

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Oooh! Can't use that! It deletes cookies!![:-))][:@][Www]

[/quote]

Ahh but you can, just add the cookies you want to keep to OPTIONS -> COOKIES -> COOKIES TO KEEP - et voila! all your fav sites are not touched

[quote user="Gluestick"]

I like your site, Mike: very clean and crisp. Loved the homepage graphic, too.

[/quote]

Merci!

Nathalie, I think you accidently sent me a Private Message recommending i use your friend to build me a website - LOL, thanks a lot!

[quote user="Owens88"]

Why are there not three different answers ? I thought that windows demanded at least 3 different fixes for all problems ? (smile)

[/quote]

Because it's the same problem as when you need to change a light bulb! [:D]

How many men does it take before the job is done!  [:-))]  

Oh dear!.... far too early for a glass of wine whilst waiting for any of them men to turn up.....[6]

From a business mag in Dublin.

Q. "How many men does it take to change a lightbulb in Dublin?"

A. " Two; one to hold the bulb and one to twist de man holdin' de bulb!"

Q. "How many men does it take to change a lightbulb in New York City?

A. " Fifty; one to change the bulb. One to hold his tools. Twenty four to decide the best way to address the project. And twenty four to decide whether the bulb actually needs changing!"

Q. "How many men does it take to change a lightbulb in California?

A. "Fifty; one to change the bulb. And forty nine to share the experience, Baby!"[:D]

I asked this question - "deleting Google topics" in the French

Satellite TV etc forum last November and got 9 replies. Look on page 18

of that forum, if you're interested, last posting 13.11.2005. Sorry

can't do fancy tricks like giving a clickable reference. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]I asked this question - "deleting Google topics" in the French Satellite TV etc forum last November and got 9 replies. Look on page 18 of that forum, if you're interested, last posting 13.11.2005. Sorry can't do fancy tricks like giving a clickable reference. Pat.
[/quote]

Just shows how some answers were correct; some were partially correct; and some were plain incorrect, Pat!