Transfer funds from Sale of House

JeanS

When we moved money from the UK to buy our French home we used Currency Fair to exchange most of it. Nowhere else came close to offering us the same low charges (plus excellent exchange rate) for the vast amount we moved.

That was at the end of 2011, so the goalposts may have moved very slightly since then.

Sue

Unfortunately, as CF have 'lost' a transfer I made last week..... I could hardly recommend them, now could I.

I'm not saying that they will not find it, but, it should have been in my account with them at latest Thursday afternoon, usually would have been in on Wednesday, but is still not in my account!

[quote user="idun"]... it should have been in my account with them at latest Thursday afternoon, usually would have been in on Wednesday, but is still not in my account!

[/quote]

So, you changed CF's bank details with your UK/French bank; even so there have been initial snags and delays with the new banking system. But matters seem to be improving gradually.

Our money, uploaded to them on Thursday in the UK, exchanged via marketplace overnight Thurs/Fri, arrived in our French bank around lunchtime today.

Sue

Though I have to add that up untill that exchange via CF last week I had been using Transferwise for the previous 2 months and been very pleased with their speed, efficiency and the rate I got.

Trying to be fair I wanted to use CF once again just to compare their exchange with that of TW. Unfortunately it happened to coincide with CF's change to new banking arrangements and the mess that resulted as regards delays and lack of information.

This poor showing by CF cannot have done Transferwise any harm.

Sue

Hi

We used CF for transfer of proceeds from sale and also for ordinary transfer to French bank account - always good service and exchange rate. Did transfer last week using new details and all ok.

Whichever transfer company you use will be much cheaper than using a bank. The charges they quoted for transferring proceeds of sale were horrendous.