Music News

Dick Smith

[quote user="beryl"]

[quote user="missyesbut"]Nirvana... and many others! !![/quote]

Just reading that post had reminded me. I heard what I thought was a spoof on the radio, but it turned out to be Paul Anka singing Nirvana in big band style. He has also given his special treatment to Wonderwall. They really are bad.

[/quote]

Anka never was much of a singer. Incredibly successful songwriter, though.

I would have to include amongst my personal hall of fame, Gary Brooker, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Pete Wilsher (the greatest British steel guitar player and another local lad who was a barber!),  and for singers, Long John Baldry, Eric Burdon, Joe Cocker.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to include amongst my personal hall of fame, Gary Brooker, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Pete Wilsher (the greatest British steel guitar player and another local lad who was a barber!),  and for singers, Long John Baldry, Eric Burdon, Joe Cocker. (Gluestick)

Same taste then Gluestick !  I also like Michael Bolton (especially since he got his hair cut  - not that it has anything to do with his singing voice !!).  Love Ottis Redding too.

Saw a great programme about Freddie Mercury's life last week.  Any other Queen fans out there ?

There seems to be little mentioned about female artists (apart from KKK's post).  Female singers I like are Dusty Springfield, Ella Fitzgerald, Randy Crawford, Susie Quatro, Alison Moyet and in recent years Celine Dion and Whitney Houston.

That's it.  Nothing like a taste of nostalgia so I'm off to play some of the old stuff [:D]

>>>...Joe Cocker...<<<

Ahhh! Joe Cocker singing 'With a little help' at the Woodstock festival! Heaven! In fact the whole recording of that Festival!

>>>...Dusty Springfield, Ella Fitzgerald, Susie Quatro, Alison Moyet ...<<<

And Joan Armatrading... Ella singing Mac the knife!

Do you know : 18 months ago I was on a transit flight (Fly Emirate) back from Dubai after visiting my daughter in Thailand, working there at the time. Got bored with reading so I put on the flight CD thing on and from the list was a CD with Ella. The list included Mac the knife... waited patiently till the whole CD was played out and never Mac the knife was broadcasted! I listened once more to make sure I had not nodded off the first time and still NO Mac the knife! The song had been obliterated from the CD! Boohoo!! As if Mac the knife was an offensive weapon on board the flight! It is just a song!!.... The steward was not impressed with my remonstrating!...

Alison Moyet... velvet to my ears...

[quote user="Gluestick"]

For the guitarists amongst us, which early British performers do you rate (leaving aside the obvious like Knoffler and Clapton)? Mine would have to include Robin Trower, not only because I knew him quite well (another local lad) but because of his sheer musical talent. Again, not very well recognised.

[/quote]

[:-))] Where to start.. The wonderful George Harrison (much underated seen as part of the Beatles not a musician in his own right), Tony Hicks (The Hollies), Brian Jones (not Keef[;-)])Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Big Jim Sullivan, Paul Kossoff, Albert Lee, Geoff Whitehorn, Mick Taylor, Alvin Lee,Tony (T.S.) McPhee, Frampton, Richard Thompson, Jerry Donahue (OK he's American but was in Fairport Convention for many years) Manny Charlton (Nazareth), Alexis Corner, Richie Blackmore, Francis Dunnery..................................................where to stop LOL

There are some amazing French guitarists out there like Francis Cabrel and Paul Personne give them a listen [;-)]

>>>...Where to start.. The wonderful George Harrison, ..... Jimmy Page.....<<<

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant! Led Zep! Robert Plant owned a small cottage once upon a time about 2 miles from my place in Wales. It is the inspiration to their song 'Bron-yr-Aur'. He's  sold it since, but many Led Zep afficionados make the trek to see the place...

Often see him in our local or our small supermarket with his family. Quite weird standing at the check out with him in the queue... He still has lots of other property around here.

Where to start.. The wonderful George Harrison (much underated seen as part of the Beatles not a musician in his own right), (Bassman)

I couldn't agree more !  He was always a favourite of mine and I love all of his songs.  He always seemed to live in John's and Paul's shadows, which was a great shame. 

Yes!!

I remember when I was about 20 me and my family went for a meal in that village where there's apparently a haunted hotel/ restaurant.  Robert Plant and his cronies came in for lunch and my mum kept saying that he was looking at me.  I was ashamed - hiding one half  my face due to a lovely 'shiner' my step-father had given me the night before. 

Oh well, that at was a bit of a downer. 

Sorry[:$]

You Rock Misseyesbut!!!

Female singers?

Kirsty MacColl, Chrissie Hinde, and getting a little more obscure June Tabor, Maddy Prior - and of course the late Sandy Denny. Sorry to say I also rather like Joss Stone and Katie Melua from the current batch.

Christine Perfect - with Chicken Shack (Stan Webb again) - 'I'd rather go blind'.

Miss Nina Simone. Any and all, but especially "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free"

Bessie Smith 'Nobody knows you when you down and out'

Billie Holiday 'God Bless the Child'.

Janis Joplin 'Ball and Chain'

and so many more...

Yes.

Did a lesson last week on music relevant to civil rights:

Billie Holiday : Strange Fruit

Nina Simone : I wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (Billy Taylor)

Bob Dylan : Only A Pawn In Their Game

Went down pretty well.

But no Bessie Smith! No Ma Rainey! (Did include the story of the death of Bessie Smith, though)

[quote user="Will "]

Female singers?

Kirsty MacColl, Chrissie Hinde, and getting a little more obscure June Tabor, Maddy Prior - and of course the late Sandy Denny. Sorry to say I also rather like Joss Stone and Katie Melua from the current batch.

[/quote]

Nowt wrong with Joss Stone's voice Will [;-)] June Tabors OK as long as she doesn't try to sing Sandy Denny stuff (or Sailors Lament[:'(]) which she has done at Cropredy a few times [:(] Julieanne Reagan from All About Eve does a much better job of it [:)]

Other female singers?  Sean Colvin, Sam Brown, Joan Osborn,Eva Cassidy, Madelaine Peyroux

Bit of a Mac fan then Dick??? [8-|]

Robert Plant, bumped into him (literally) a few times at Cropredy

Ah the old Tolworth Towers, now there's blast from the past.Was it car

tax I remember it for or some govt office block ? The memory is dim ! I can remember just

how busy the Toby Jug could get though.

Not sure what the pub scene is like now for groups but once living not

far from Putney and Fulham, we sure got to see some good stuff. Strange

really looking back, the music scene in and around London seemed to change by

the decade. Once (a while ago now !!) it was all about the Scene,

Marquee etc plus trips with the local band to places like East

Grinstead (they would be on the undercard to groups like The Animals,

Who etc), then more pubs started doing live gigs. Got married, so it

was then normal hours so to speak and for much of the time,

late clubs were out and Pub gigs in and, in between all the changes,

concerts were always there.

Happy days.....................

Rambling now.....grass still to cut !

[quote user="Dick Smith"]The early stuff. We used to go and see them when they were regulars at The Toby Jug in Tolworth. I don't expect they play pubs much anymore.
[/quote]

Yes the REAL Fleetwood Mac [;-)] no I don't think they do LOL  I did see Gary Moore at the Sir Robert Peel in Kingston a couple of years ago though [8-|]

Miki - the pub scene for bands isn't that good anymore (believe me I spent the last few years gigging around here [:(]) apart from The Grey Horse where you can end up paying to play [8-)] and the Peel ( not a place I like much TBH) there are fewer and fewer pubs putting on live mucic these days [:(]