Music News

Dick Smith

First of all, great sadness as the death has been announced of Desmond Dekker, one-time workmate and earlier success of Bob Marley. Sad,

Also - I see that Vauxhall has used a Lonnie Donegan recording (Rock Island Line) in their new UK ad. Will this lead to a skiffle revival? Should I resurrect my tea chest bass?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first record I ever bought was.........Cumberland Gap, and only a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Rock Island Line..Putting on the Style..Cumberland Gap and I'm a Travelling Man onto my MP3 thingy.  Now I can whizz around cutting my grass and wailing to Lonnie's music.

I also saw Lonnie playing with Chris Barber on the BBC radio programme Jazz Club, after queuing to get in free.

weedon

But Burt - you must have been on the same bill at some time!

I never saw him play, but started buying his records (mostly EPs as I remember) in the early 60s. I was part of a skiffle band that lasted 1 whole gig (in a youth club) about 1962 - after it was all over...

Ah saw Lonnie at a Cropredy festival a few years ago [8-|] And have bumped into ................... Bert Weedon a couple of times in recent years once at a music fair at the NEC and once outside a Fairports gig in High Wycombe when the band were outside having a ciggie  and he and they  started discussing my Beatles T shirt with me LOL

Wonderful memories![:D]

Both Lonnie and Bert Weedon, of course, were originally banjo players and changed to guitar as the new era opened. Who still has their copy of Bert's self-tutor and chord reference?

For fun, a reunion meeting in circa 1999 of the Ailsa Five, the first group I formed in 1957. (in those far off days bands were large amounts of people with all sorts of different instruments, which they could actually play and tended to be sight readers!).  One of the five missing was a bloke called Ian Gregory, my close mate at school and in fact the only one to actually cut a disk and reach 7 or 8 in the UK charts! Which was interesting as he was tone deaf and couldn't sing! He was Blondel the minstrel in a prog called Ivanhoe on TV amongst other things. These days an eminent ceramicist.

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/3-TheAilsa-2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

. Who still has their copy of Bert's self-tutor and chord reference?

[/quote]

Errrrrr I have [:D] Bert Weedons " Play In A Day" although the guy that runs my local guitar emporium ( too posh to be called a shop [:-))]) reckons he should be sued by everyone that bought it LOL  got a rather nice American Standard Fender Strat in Fiesta Red ( very Hank)for my birthday yesterday [8-|]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Bassman/standard-1993-red_m.jpg[/IMG]

Happy Birthday, for yesterday & happy strumming!!  [8-|]

I bought Mark a Fender for his 40th - & he bought himself a Tokia Les Paul, for my 40th!! [:@]  I think I lost out somewhere along the line?!!  He is trying to cut down his collection, before we move - & bought two more in the last 3 months!!  He's got 9 now!!  [:-))]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/Livingstone_Mark/DSC00035.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="aliards"]

I bought Mark a Fender for his 40th - & he bought himself a Tokia Les Paul, for my 40th!! [:@]  I think I lost out somewhere along the line?!!  He is trying to cut down his collection, before we move - & bought two more in the last 3 months!!  He's got 9 now!!  [:-))]

[/quote]

It was my 50th and I got a  Premier drum kit as well [:$]

Oh dear I'm up to 16 now [:$] a Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Fender '69 re-issue Strat, American Standard Strat, LAG V100(a French guitar) Fender Jazz Bass, Fender 5-string Jazz Bass, 2 x Precision Basses, Rickenbacker 4003 Bass in Mapleglo, Takamine EN10 electro acoustic, Yamaha acoustic, plus 4 others[:-))] It's call G.A.S.  .............. guitar aquisition syndrome LOL [:D]

Nice Strat, Paul. Same colour as my first original 60s job, rosewood neck and all. Wish I still had it!

Bought an early 70s re-issue about 8 years ago. These days I'm down to an Echo jumbo, an original Hayman 1010 (which of course was used by Hank in the early 70s), a Les Paul Gibson and still trying to find the time (and money!) to rebuild a very rare beast indeed: a very early 60s Burns sunburst jazz guitar, similar to Gibson et al, semi-accoustic, double cutaway, twin humbuckers. It is not even listed on the Burns site! Needs a new neck and a re-chrome and will eventually be completely re-built and re-finished.

On books, I still have my late 1940s copy of Eric Kirshaw's "Chords for danceband guitar": great if you have thin hands with digits about five inches long! The inside shapes taught me lots, though

There does seem to be quite a lot of musicians in France!

[quote user="Bassman"][quote user="aliards"]

[/quote]

It was my 50th and I got a  Premier drum kit as well [:$]

Oh dear I'm up to 16 now [:$] a Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Fender '69 re-issue Strat, American Standard Strat, LAG V100(a French guitar) Fender Jazz Bass, Fender 5-string Jazz Bass, 2 x Precision Basses, Rickenbacker 4003 Bass in Mapleglo, Takamine EN10 electro acoustic, Yamaha acoustic, plus 4 others[:-))] It's call G.A.S.  .............. guitar aquisition syndrome LOL [:D]

[/quote]

Mark says "Respect" - especially for the Lag & the Ricky!  [8-|]  He's got G.A.S. as well!! 

He also quiet fancies a Vigier - just to blend in with the locals!! 

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

And there's the top girl.

[/quote]

Quite agree KKK!...

Many happy memories of listening to her gravelly voice! In my younger days I lived in Paris in the 9ème, in some undistinct studio under the roof on the 7th floor, NO lifts!  I was a waitress then, in want of a better job, saving money to go round the world...

Going home every night after a hard day I used to put that very LP (in the photo) on the record player ... an upgrade from the wind up gramaphone ... The thing was on SO loud!

'O lord! won't you buy me a mercedes benz! work hard all day etc...' Those were the days!!

The neighbours used to bang the walls and the ceiling below for me to stop the racket!... Which I did.... for 5 minutes!... In the end it got so bad that the concierge ask me to move out !... 

She was before my time. I was an eighties chick but I remember her music as a child and always loved her.  She is become quite popular again now.

My track is Me and Bobby McGee.  But I love them all.  I love Maybe too the music is that is superb very dramatic.  If I could release a song it would be that.  The words are quite easy to remember too.  I can imagine a young girl in the seventies living in a paris appartment.  What an era.

Janis Joplin

[quote]And there's the top girl.[/quote]

We were  at a Leonard Cohen I'm your Man tour concert at the Albert Hall and a fight broke out (yep at an L.C concert !!) as Cohen broke out in to his Chelsea Hotel, some wag some rows in front of us, shouted out "Hypocrite" 

Cohen stopped singing to tell the chap just how much he had thought of

Janis and please could  he refrain from interrupting the concert (or words to that

effect) the man shouted it out again and next thing, another chap a few

rows in front of us, turned round and bopped the chap bang on the

button. Who by fire eh !!

I've just finished reading John Peel's autobiography, and in it he was saying how sad it was that many people remember Lonnie Donegan only for My Old Man's a Dustman and Does Your Chewiing Gum Lose its Flavour.