Where will you be watching the Football?

TWINKLE

I know Dotty's watching it at her parents house, but I was wondering if any of you will be going to Germany for any of the games. 

I loved it 8 years ago, we would often go into Toulouse to watch a couple of matches.  The atmosphere was fantastic.  People from all over the world all in high spirits, it completely changed my view of what football is about.

We are going to watch the French games on the banks of the Garonne. There are giant screens and bars availalble.  There is usually entertainment before and after the match.  I think the Mairie de Toulouse organise it all. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch football[8-)][8-)] I'd rather poke my own eyes out with a pointy stick [:-))]

In my teens I used to go every week home and away games.... then I grew up and realized I may as well support ICI or Smith Kline Beecham or any other big company as that is all football is about these days .....money, overpaid players who cry at the slightest injury and don't seem to actually play half the time, whats the point in supporting a team (Ok the WC is different in this respect ) where most of the players don't even come from the same country never mind the same town [8-)] Man U are a prime example where even most of the supporters aren't from Manchester, I just don't get it any more, people seem to pick a team at random or one they think stands the best chance of winning something and then support them instead of their local team [8-)]

Has anyone else noticed in the last few months, just how many miserable old gits are now on the forum ?

Admin, can't they have their own Victor Meldrew section. It does get me

down but what does really makes me laugh, is that one can picture the

sandals and sock brigade in their zipped up cardis, walking miles to

save 10 centimes on a demi, uttering bonjour to everyone they pass and

mistake the grimace they see on the other person as an acknowledgement

and the grunt as bonjour and not the reality ( who the blinking hell was that utter twit!)

Whoops nearly fell in to the same mode !

I will be watching it wherever the flags are flying and the folks are

smiling, the beer cold and the support is for good old togger (and

Eng-er-land in particular !)

Roll on Samedi

I can't stand footy - the rest of the family will be watching the games - but I'm firmly in the "do anything to avoid" camp - even ironing! Now Rubgy or Cricket - especially the 20/20 matches - they're exciting and fun to watch.... and rugby shorts are so much more attractive that footy ones

Football bores me rigid. I don't even like watching my sons play - although I'll go along out of duty and cheer appropriatly.

So heres hoping that the sun is shining & I can enjoy my time pottering in the garden, feeding the chooks, drinking a nice glass of chilled chablis or reading a good book - or failing that a beer and a curry in front of something else / anything else on TV ( but not not big brother)

Sorry for going off thread here but Miki you are spot on.  I know I am generalising but lots of Brits in France to seem to be a bit socks and sandally.  Like, you don't see many British socks and sandals around Benidorm do you?  They are mostly the Germans.  British in Benidorm.  Heavily suntanned with lots of gold.

I don't know, who's todger ? Could it be Roger the todger ?

No certainly not we, I get grumpy at the grumpos, they grump me right off.

Katie, I doos need my spell in good old Spain and a few nights in

Benidorm, bling, sand, sea and sangria. Sets me up for this tranquil

life oop norf for the rest of the year[:D]

We do Benidorm in the Winter and couldn't survive being lost in the Lot for the rest of the year without the Benidorm fix. Will be watching the footie on our terrace on the new big screen tele we bought today. We got a huge reduction at Carrefour they obviously havent sold the stock they got in anticipation. Just had a thought perhaps we could sell tickets and provide refreshment, barbecue etc.

We came across four sandal and socks brigade today. They came into the restaurant at lunchtime spent only half an hour having lunch and no wine. Where are their manners [:P]

I'll be sat, in front of the telly, in our lounge.

I always try to cook something for dinner in support of the team we want to win, that night!!  Spain = tapas, South Americans = Chilli, Italy = Spag Bol (all veggie versions for me, of course!!) etc.   Mark also tries to get beers, to match (I'll be sticking to the wine) & loves looking out for all the different ones he can pick up.  Some countries, like Iran (who don't drink alcohol) & Ghana (does anyone out there know of a Ghanaian beer?) pose him a problem - so we just support the opposition!! [:-))]

Roll on tomorrow - for the first kick-off!!!!!  Yippee!! [:D] [:D] [:D]

[quote user="Goldengirl"]

I can't think of anything less exciting

than watching a bunch of overgrown boys in fake tan and blonde streaked

poney tails chasing a bit of leather (or is it plastic these days)

around a field.[/quote]

Quite right GG,

Can't stand those hooray Henry Polo types meself, poor horses do all

the work whilst the men preen themslelves for the gals to admire [:D]

[quote]

I'll be sat, in front of the telly, in our lounge.

I always try to cook something for dinner in support of the team we

want to win, that night!!  Spain = tapas, South Americans =

Chilli, Italy = Spag Bol (all veggie versions for me, of course!!)

etc.   Mark also tries to get beers, to match (I'll be

sticking to the wine) & loves looking out for all the different

ones he can pick up.  Some countries, like Iran (who don't drink

alcohol) & Ghana (does anyone out there know of a Ghanaian

beer?) pose him a problem - so we just support the opposition!! [:-))]

Roll on tomorrow - for the first kick-off!!!!!  Yippee!! [:D] [:D] [:D][/quote]

Reading your post ali, I knew there was something !! We are missing the fun times offered when

the one of the Irish teams are in the finals. I love it when they qualify,

they generally come up with a few shocks in the World Cup and the way

they enjoy it, makes it great to watch. About time the Northern Ireland team got through though !

[quote]

About time the Northern Ireland team got through though !

The greatest shame, ever, was that George Best never got to play in a World Cup - that would have been something to see.

[/quote]

Just thinking about it makes me shiver, but not as much as the defenders would have been !

[quote user="Miki"]Has anyone else noticed in the last few months, just how many miserable old gits are now on the forum ?

Admin, can't they have their own Victor Meldrew section. It does get me down but what does really makes me laugh, is that one can picture the sandals and sock brigade in their zipped up cardis, walking miles to save 10 centimes on a demi, uttering bonjour to everyone they pass and mistake the grimace they see on the other person as an acknowledgement and the grunt as bonjour and not the reality ( who the blinking hell was that utter twit!)

Whoops nearly fell in to the same mode !

I will be watching it wherever the flags are flying and the folks are smiling, the beer cold and the support is for good old togger (and Eng-er-land in particular !)

Roll on Samedi

[/quote]

Hey just because I don't enjoy the same pastimes as you that doesn't make me a miserable old git [:-))] anyway miserable young git pleeeaase OK 50 last week [:)] Now I enjoy watching motor sport( Like I said may as well support a big business) you may hate it , I enjoy seeing live bands and playing in them you may possibly hate that too I wouldn't know as I don't know you, just like you don't know me OK,[:D] I am as entitled to my opinion as much as the next man or woman, errr I think it's called free speech innit?? Live and let live eh? without resorting to name calling???

Hey I'm with you Miki, but I'd prefer the section to be called 'The Old Farts Forum', anyone over 50 should be shoved into it, they could share their Fanny Craddock recipes and talk about the latest crown bowling stars! Oh....and I'd remove their right of free speech too, they've had 50 years of it so if they haven't made their point by now, too late! Sorry wrinklies!

Chris

[quote]Hey just because I don't enjoy the same pastimes that doesn't

make me a miserable old git [:-))] anyway miserable young git pleeeaase

OK 50 last week [:)] Now I enjoy watching motor sport( Like I said may

as well support a big business) you may hate it , I enjoy seeing

live bands and playing in them you may possibly hate that too I

wouldn't know as I don't know you, just like you don't know me

OK,[:D] I am as entitled to my opinion as much as the next man or

woman, errr I think it's called free speech innit?? Live and let live

eh? resorting to name calling???[/quote]

Mmm , is that guilty by association or just p*****g in the dark [:D]

Grand Prix !Take it or leave it, follow me leader in recent years,

change the rules to stop a German winning every year  until

he  is 90 and what about Monaco? First out the trap, if engine

holds up, winner, thrilling eh [:(] Oh I think you will find that music

is a big and lifetimes pleasure for us, it has been recorded on here

umpteen times.

If you wish to be known as either a young or old grumpo, that's your

judgement, the name calling was your interpretation, who it was aimed

at,  was your choice as well. Me, I named no one but waited for

the heads to come above the infamous parapet one down............ to go

[;-)]

Hold on Chris,

You are as grumpy as you feel you know.

I have to come out and say that I am over 50 but do feel 25, OK 49¾ on a few occasions, so I am allowed to stay (my rule).

In March, I  danced (well moved rather in-elegantly !!) to the Beatles,

MeatLoaf, The Searchers, Leapy Lee Sticky Vi.....no sorry not to

her,  in Benidorm and fell in to bed 48 hours later. I have

affidavits  confirming I don't  do grumpy [:D]

It's the grumps from 25-75 I want to see locked away in their own padded forum !

[quote user="beryl"]God how do you dance / move in-elegantly or any

other way to leapy lee? Have you got any pictures?[geek][/quote]

Oh perlease Beryl, there really is no need to call me by that name [:)]

Well, with Little arrows for instance, it is a kind of fast but jerky, robotic hip

hop movement, which sadly was too fast for any mortal camera to capture

the exquisite movements. I did see people watching me with smiles on

their faces...but now come to think of it, they might well have been

chuckling [;-)]