I need a map...

Kitty

My brain hurts.  Every time, I read a thread that has a name of a place in France, I think 'where on earth is that?'.  multimap.com is visited nearly as often as this forum.

How long do you have to live in France before you know where everything is and the numbers of the departments?

I do not suppose that many people will ever know  where everything is whether it be France or the UK. I solved this situation by having a very large framed poster type map of France with all the regions and departments including the numbers hanging in my study. This is so much easier than looking at Internet map sites. These posters should be easily obtained in map or poster shops.

If any difficulty contact  Blondel La Rougery, 268 r Brément 93561 ROSNY SOUS BOIS CEDEX  01 48 94 94 52

Baz

[quote user="Cathy"]How long do you have to live in France before you know where everything is and the numbers of the departments?[/quote]

Forever?

The amount of times we're in the car and we're overtaken by a 12 (or whatever) and then the discussion starts.... "OK Aude is 11 and Bouches du rhone is 13 so it comes between "Au" and Bo" " and so it goes on until we finally dig out the map of france and  check (although this is cheating.) 

My husband is a French Geography teacher [:$]

How long do you have to live in France before you know where everything is and the numbers of the departments?

V.Good question Cathy.... my 81 y.o. French mother in law and life long resident of France still has to look up quite a few on a map. Mind you, she did spend the first 60 years of her life in Paris......... And my wife has even less idea where places are - again too long in Paris and now she would say too long in England! So it seems you will never know unless you have "Rain Man" like abilities.

We have a Michelin poster style map on the wall by the PC with the dept nos. and main routes - think it was free with a rival publication to LF a few years back - very useful.

regards

Our poster came from Leclerc. It shows the hexagone with regions,departments, department numbers and main towns and DOM TOM departments, territories and collective territories (whatever they are). My husband is a bit of a number freak. He knows all the department numbers and their prefectures. He has even collected, train spotting style, vehicles one from each department in sequence! 90, 2A and 2B being the rarest.

>>>2A and 2B being the rarest. <<<

Do you mean 20A and 20B being Corsica North and Corsica South?

Just wondering as Aisne (02) is not that big in population (or otherwise) to be split in 2 (sub) departments.

Collective Territories are remnants of colonies. These territoires are a collection of islands mostly situated in the Pacific. They have their own internal government but have a link with France through some kind of préfet person who represents the French Président and the interest of France on these islands. Most (in)famous territory, to non French person, is Mururoa.

Possibly a bit like the Falklands are British Territory and have a Governor representing the Queen and the interest of Westminster on these islands... or the Chagos Islands which UK rents out (minus the locals taken to other islands) to the USA for their military base of Diego Garcia....

PS edit:

As one learns one new thing everyday : I have on my desk this map of France with these départements, territories etc.... (as Sadie's poster from Leclerc) It's been here under my keyboard for over 10 years now.

I have JUST noticed (Shame on you Missy!) that Corsica is 2A and 2B!

I was taught as a child that Corsica was number 20! My father made me learn the list and the prefectures by rote!

That is the why of my query at the top....

I definitely need stronger lenses on these specs..