Terms and Conditions

Cassis

I have decided I need some really clear terms and conditions so that B&B

guests know exactly where they stand.  And sleep and eat.  I want to avoid potential misunderstandings or disappointments on both sides.  And in the middle.

Could someone give me some advice, please?

Did you mean to post this very sensible and worthwhile topic in the... Lounge? [:-))]

Well, I'm not normally one to pick up on spelling and grammar errors but...

...would you recommend warning people in advance that they are going to be sleeping in a slay bed and that they must endeavour to leave it in the same condition they found it? [6]

Edit:

O.M.G. There really are slay beds.

http://www.stanze.co.uk/leather_bed_slay_bed_uk/bed_leather_slay.html

As an organiser of exhibitions and other events, I often found it useful to have a catch-all clause buried in the small print.  Something to the effect that, "In any event where none of the foregoing terms and conditions can be deemed to apply, the decision of the proprietor shall be final and binding on all parties."  Or possibly "....the proprietor shall be entitled to add a new clause to these terms and conditions at any time and without notice".

Once you've got this in, it doesn't really matter what all the other clauses say.  No-one ever reads them anyway.

Patrick

[quote user="catalpa"]Did you mean to post this very sensible and worthwhile topic in the... Lounge? [:-))]

Well, I'm not normally one to pick up on spelling and grammar errors but...

...would you recommend warning people in advance that they are going to be sleeping in a slay bed and that they must endeavour to leave it in the same condition they found it? [6]

Edit:

O.M.G. There really are slay beds.

http://www.stanze.co.uk/leather_bed_slay_bed_uk/bed_leather_slay.html

[/quote]

Glad you got my drift, Catalpa. 

Should I put in a clause about the maximum quantity of hair permitted in a plughole before public flogging ensues?

Bit surprised that slay beds actually exist commercially - I thought they were sleigh beds.  Just shows that weird spelling isn't confined to this forum. 

Actually, we do have slay beds but they are a bit different.  Here is our version:

[img]http://meanderings.typepad.com/meanderings/images/torture.jpg[/img]

Glad to see you spell-checked your second sentence.

I am sure they are sleigh beds. Weird spelling is taking over the world, I think. Well, apart from in Sir's Year 7 classes, of course. [:P]

I hate to think what would happen in the scene above if you barged in carrying your cleaning pack and a vacuum cleaner at 10am...[:-))]

Remember to state in your Ts&Cs that no guests with long dark hair of a shade darker than mid-mouse will be allowed in the showers without a tightly fitting swimming cap. Or was it Wen that objected to black hairs being shed by thoughtless guests and left to adorn her shower?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Phil - I think you ought to include a dress code, a rule about snoring and a no-hairs in the bath stipulation.

[/quote]

I've covered the hairs bit.  Dress code - how about ties must be worn?  So if your tie isn't frayed I can fine you 10 euros?

[quote user="catalpa"]Glad to see you spell-checked your second sentence[/quote]

....... [:D] The spelling mistake version might be a more effective deterrent, C!

[quote user="catalpa"]Remember to state in your Ts&Cs that no guests with long dark hair of a shade darker than mid-mouse will be allowed in the showers without a tightly fitting swimming cap. Or was it Wen that objected to black hairs being shed by thoughtless guests and left to adorn her shower?

[/quote]

I think so - something about dreading seeing guests with long black hair and makeup getting out of the car.  [:D]

[img]http://cdn-39.cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users12/shir01/default/msg-11555849962.jpg[/img]

First book on the pile:

"The History I have Studyed

I have studyed Lots of things in History like: Victorians, World War 2, Henry VIII, Egyptains, Vikings and a few more. I did most of them when I was in class before year 6"

So that would be Year 5, then. Only 2 spelling mistakes, and one of them was on the board when I wrote out the title...  Not a native English speaker, either, which shows what can be learned in a few years with support, but of course in England foreign-speakers do get support.

Another kid tells me he studied Midevil times - hmm, wonder when that was.

Any guesses when chooter times were? You got it.

Would War 2 - I dunno, would it? (Again, only a couple of years of English)

And how about this - ESL again:

"My favourite area in History is how people lived and what they did. I like it because I can compare my life style to their life style. It also gives me a rough idea of how the world's going to change in the future"

I think I'm going to enjoy teaching this lot!

[quote user="powerdesal"]Phil, is that really you?

Does the price include all extras?

Can I book?

[/quote]

Steve, that picture is a serving suggestion only.  As such it bears no resemblance to the real thing.  Jude is on the right.  That's me on the left.  Well, we all like drag now and again, don't we?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]First book on the pile:

"The History I have Studyed
I have studyed Lots of things in History like: Victorians, World War 2, Henry VIII, Egyptains, Vikings and a few more. I did most of them when I was in class before year 6"

So that would be Year 5, then. Only 2 spelling mistakes, and one of them was on the board when I wrote out the title...  Not a native English speaker, either, which shows what can be learned in a few years with support, but of course in England foreign-speakers do get support.

Another kid tells me he studied Midevil times - hmm, wonder when that was.
Any guesses when chooter times were? You got it.
Would War 2 - I dunno, would it? (Again, only a couple of years of English)

And how about this - ESL again:

"My favourite area in History is how people lived and what they did. I like it because I can compare my life style to their life style. It also gives me a rough idea of how the world's going to change in the future"

I think I'm going to enjoy teaching this lot!

[/quote]

Oh the joy!! ESL can be fun too. Did you know that "agony" is the name for those adolescent spots that cover your face? (Sounds the same if you're from Beijing, apparently). If your mother makes clothes for other people, she's a sewer (that was an oral error, BTW). Oh, and my friend's staffroom opened a book on who would be the first to crack the code when a new pupil wrote at length about an egog. Answers on a postcard.

Shall we have a rule about guests using incorrect grammar or spelling on booking forms????

Phil - believe it or not I am marking in between painting the hallway and filling the rest and sitting in front of the TV with the laptop.

ESL is English as a Second Language, although that term has been superseded by English as Another Language (EAL) and I forgot. We have several Year 7s who speak 3 or 4 languages (we are a language college). Always fills me with envy!

I love 'agony' - but can't get 'egog' - what was the context?