question

Chauffour

Don't overlook Northern Ireland in football as well!  Although that's part of the UK rather than GB.

There again, in rugby union we manage to have 4 separate British Isles national teams plus a combined GB and Ireland team.

Then in athletics, we have a GB and NI team for most international events but separate teams for the Commonwealth Games.

Once a Scot, Welsh(wo)man or Irish(wo)man becomes successful in sport then they tend magically to become British. [:D]

[quote user="Chauffour"]

...and so is Dordogneshire [:)]

but getting back to the original question, is there a different rule for each sport then?

[/quote]

Yes, you are not allowed to kick a tennis ball. The ref gets all upset. And although football is a racket, you are not allowed to use one on the pitch [8-)]...

[quote user="Chauffour"]can anyone tell me why in football each GB country, England-Wales-Scotland, is on his own, and in tennis there is only Great Britain?   [/quote]

I think it's possibly because in the early days of Association Football and Rugby Union there was no-one else to play against.

Tennis was a sport for individuals, of any nationality, rather than national teams, until some interfering busybody, probably a Frenchman, came up with the idea for international team competition.

Patrick

Like it, Mark - another one for my trivia file! [:D]

You could say that tennis, an individual sport, was made a team sport by the Americans.  An American Dwight Filley Davis donated the Cup in 1900 for a contest between the USA and GB.  The competition later expanded to include other countries.