Declaring Online

Grecian

I wonder if anybody could answer a few questions as regards to declaring our tax return online this year please. It would seem that after next year we won't have much choice in the matter, so I might as well be brave and declare online this year for the first time.

When filling in the online forms can you save your work before hitting the send button?

I think the subject of how to inform the tax office of being in receipt of an S1 has been covered in another thread. If I understand it correctly there is a comments box to inform the tax office of any information you may wish to convey, is this correct please?

What happens to the form I have handed in every year with all our UK bank accounts on? Do I have to scan the form and send it as an attachment? Or just ignore it, and if they want a copy they will ask me for it?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

You can fill in as much or as little as you wish of the forms and your entries will be kept if you wish to leave part way through the process. If you fill in 3916 (sections 1 and 4 of each form, one for each bank account). the same forms will be there for you next year to edit.

Thanks for that Kong, I guess it makes sense that the 3916 form is online, along with all the other tax forms. I have not used the 3916 when declaring up to now, I just list the bank accounts on a plain piece of paper. They have accepted this method every year for the last seven years.

I accompanied a friend to the local tax office as they had queries on her last few years' returns. Amongst all the other things she hadn't been declaring was the bank account form, but the tax official told her she must now also put the balance as at 31st Dec 2015 for every account. Is this actually true? Or are they being nosey for wealth tax etc assessment?..... There does not seem to be any box on the 3916 for this information to go in.

Chrissie (81)

We just use plain paper too and never put balances - what is the point of a balance on one particular day in a year.

We have always filed online but just note on the form that we will be letting them have details on paper and then drop it into the tax office when next passing.

I may investigate whether we can "attach" a document to the online form. I refuse absolutely to complete the stupid 3916 form(s).

Hereford and Kong, I am sure you'd both know the answer to the question I posted on another thread as I do not file online.

That question: in which box do you put interest earned on savings in the UK, svp?

This is my last bit of the declaration in order to finish with the infernal form.

Thanks.

It seems I am going to confuse the issue then:

Our interest from the UK is taxed but we get it back via a SA form. We then enter it on the pink form in section B (Autre revenus....), to Line A as total and then below that to line 2TS

On the blue form the figure then goes in line TS (to match).

This is what we were told to do the first year we were in France and we do the same each year. The actual wording of the box on the blue form has changed but we have not changed what we do.

It gets taxed correctly anyway.

It is never added to any French interest as all of our French interest is from non-taxable savings accounts.

From April 2017 our interst will not be taxed in the UK of course due to budget changes.

Thanks, guys.  The reason I asked the question is because this is the first time we have had interest from an online French account.

In the past, I had always put the UK interest in 2TS but this year 2TS is for an assurance vie that is less than 8 years old.

So, then I shall now put both UK and French interest together in "interets et autre produits......2TR".  After all, you do pay tax on it in France and claim it back from the UK on an R43.  That sounds logical because you pay tax on it at the same rate after all.

I'd go down and ask at les impots but, at this time of year, I'm not sure I could be faffed hanging about ticket in hand waiting for my number to be called[+o(]

If my number were to be called, I'd rather wait for le bon dieu to do it!

Having now looked at a 3916 form online, not via the declaration section in our online account, but a PDF version to download or print.

Kong said to fill in sections 1 and 4 if declaring online, the 3916 form that I have looked at asks for the address of the bank/building society the account is held with, and the date of opening the account.

Can I expect the 3916 form to be the same that I would have to fill in if declaring online? I have no idea when I opened some of the accounts, as it was before we left the UK some seven and a half years ago.

[quote user="Grecian"]

Can I expect the 3916 form to be the same that I would have to fill in if declaring online? I have no idea when I opened some of the accounts, as it was before we left the UK some seven and a half years ago.[/quote]

Yes; and, when I had the same problem, I simply rang the organisations concerned and asked them when I had opened each account.

Thankfully each one knew the right date.

Sue

Thanks for the reply sue, I think this year I am going to stick to the paper version, I have two accounts that I declare that I am not even sure if they are still open in the UK, there certainly is no money in them if they are. That will be fun phoning the two building societies involved saying that I am not sure if I have an account with you, but if I have I want to close it.[:-))]