Blues music.

Chris Head

Coming back from this fastinating discussion to the original question, have a listen to Paul Jones' show on radio 2, he plays all the greats plus more than a few who are new to me.

For me John Lee Hooker will always be my favorite, but here's a link to Son House doing John the Revelator, it is a slow start but terrific.

Regards

Simon

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Dave, hubby thought I must have got it wrong (again!)and has been doing a lot of sniggering while muttering about John McL under his breath!!!! Al last I can get one over on him on music!

Nothing wrong with a bit of air guitar.....always performed with style and panache (not the liquid sort). I'm sure your version is magnificent!

Aly

[quote user="Fluffy Kitten"]JH plays a mean honky tonk piano - didn't he used to be in a band called Squeeze?

[/quote]

Yes he was and I agree, a very mean honky tonk piano, his brother Chris is also very talented. I have to say I am glad the monkey with the lipstick and big glasses has gone, he was scary[:)]

short but very nice, http://www.worldblues.com/bbking/prairie/sounds/thrill.wav

have to keep on the blues track, Twinkle may be watching[;-)][:D]

best regards

Dave

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Have we mentioned Skip James?  I'm sure Fluffy Kitten will be familiar with his work and the link with Henry Vestine.

[/quote]

Skip James - 1902-1969.  Blues pianist/guitarist with a great voice main work during the 20's and 30's.  Hits include - Evil Devil Blues & Devil Got My Woman.  Disappointed and bitter with the music buisiness he left it to become a Reverand while juggling jobs in the mining timber industry.

He was a cousin of bluesman Ishman Bracey, who in 1964 was managing a trio of American musiciens and got them to visit Skip in his hospital bed who was dying of a tumour. The visit however inspiried him to play at a Newport festival a few weeks later after years of musical silence. 

The Yankees were - John Fahey, Bill Barth and Henry Vestine (Canned Heat).

Do you want to hear some white Welsh boys play the blues? 

I just found this this morning -  I'm so happy 'cos' it's footage of my dads group in the 60's.  He used to play bass with this band but saddly he's no longer here - so this is a tribute to him. 

Hopefully it will help bring back this great thread to life[:)]  Turn the sound up........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUFsjtxXWI

I loved it, it's the kind of music I listened to a lot in the 60s. Anyone ever heard of a band called Louise?

I enjoyed the way the whole thing just relaxes towards the end and the walking bass line takes over. Thanks for that. Odd harmonica technique, though - but it worked.

You're all going to go 'duh!' because you've known them for years, but I've just come across a duo called the Indigo Girls (they collaborated with Joan Baez) - a sort of folk/country/gentle rock sound. Have a listen if you can.

Micky Jones is the best improvising guitarist on earth[;-)] but his harmonica playing may not be the best -better than mine anyday! 

Their 'thang' was Prog /rock but they liked to throw in a sprinkling of blues in their sets. Still do. 

I don't know of Louise - I'll check them out on YouTube.  No - I don't know Indigo Girls.  I love YouTube!

Hi all,

interesting about your Dad Twinkle, I went to hear Man at the Roundhouse sometime in the 70's, they were very good and had John(?) Cippolina playing with them with these amazing chrome horn speakers (only way I can describe them! I have 'Man - Be Good To Yourself' on my HD if anyone is interested PM me, OK. I read of this site,have searched to see if this has come up before but found no reference so here it is:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

it has a 'concert vault (you have to coplete a very simple registration process then you can stream live concert audio from 100's of old concerts by bands as diverse as 'Flock of Sea Gulls' to 'Mother's of Invention' unfortunately Twinkle there is nothing from Man but they are adding to the list. I have posted here because the list includes Muddy Waters and BB King. It is possible to record the audio but you will need some other software that is available here as a trial version (fully working)

http://www.polderbits.com/download-sound-recorder-uk.htm

You can read up on Wolfgang but basically he bought a load of archive tapes and has had them remastered for the internet and he maintains that he is broadcasting them as a radio stream and is paying the royalties due for that but some of the Bands are saying that he really needs their permissions others are quite happy that this music has come to light, so there is a row brewing and maybe in the future it may not be free. Go have a listen while you can. You will need to be on a high speed connection I think to stream the audio successfully.[:D]

best regards

Dave

Just been pointed to some music which proves that white boys can play the blues.

Go to   youtube.com   and search for   seasick steve   then scroll down to

Seasick Steve - Live At Belladrum Festival 2006

and also check out

Seasick Steve - Live Jools Holland Hootenanny 2006

Enjoy...!

Clearly we are talking about two different things when we talk about the blues!

I think Seasick Sam is actually decent average, good guitarist, so-so vocalist, certainly blues influenced but no blues voice in any degree. Tends to lose the plot when he gets excited (good sign he isn't a bluesman!). In the Jools Holland clip (which is far superior) he describes his music as boogie-woogie, which sounds about right. A bit Canned Heat-ish in places (that's praise in my eyes).

But he still sounds like a white boy to me...

Just rented Lucky Peterson - "Move" from the village library.  Check it out if you like upbeat funky blues.  The rhythm section is amazing with Johnny B. Gayden on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums - they are so tight.  Great songs and some super covers of R. Cray, Ashford & Simpson The Isley Bros, and Prince.

Prince has done some surprisingly good things, and Robert Cray is OK, a bit anaemic, a bit BB King if you see what I mean.

I'll check it out.

Twinks - could you go back to an earlier post and edit the link - it's so long that later posts are hard to read as they go off the screen!