Happy St. Davids Day!

TWINKLE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bumping this thread back up to the top for the boyos!  Come on you lot - post something about the Welsh so that I can feel like I'm back home for St. Davids day!

When I was at school we always dressed in traditional costume and wore felt leek brooches on our shawls.  My mother would make us leek and potato soup[:)]

Thanks for that clip Twinks. Not least because it reminded me of a magic moment in St Petersburg.

I had taken a party of school kids to Russia in 1989 - the regime was still quite oppressive by our standards. Anyway my school group and a group of ladies from the Welsh equivalent of the Women’s Institute were waiting to be herded on to an overnight train to Moscow. It was cold and dark and we were all getting a bit fed up when suddenly these ladies burst out in Sospan Vach ! It was magical and strange to hear it in that place and at that time. Almost better was the reaction of the Russians. It had them scurrying about in groups and viewing all these awful westerners with suspicion. Our tour guide quizzed me about the words and when I said I couldn’t tell her because they were in Welsh which I don’t speak she was stunned. I think her biggest surprise was that there was a Welsh University which taught in Welsh.

Thanks again Twinkle and happy St David’s Day to all.

Hoddy

twinkle, cariad

my OH has just said, i've forgotten it's st david's day.  and, to be honest, we have not seen any children in their costumes.

that's the worst thing about being retired, you forget things like today because you are not at work and see others with their leeks and their daffodils.

anyway, happy st david's day.  what is the world coming to when you don't see the little girls with their tall hats and their red flannel petticoats!

Twinkle, so sorry I did not wish you hapus Dewi Sant.  I think you have a bit of hiraeth.[:(].  There's lovely films ewe 'av posted forus all[:D]  I must say though, I think you sing Amazing Grace better than Charlotte.

Happy St Davids Day to all the Welsh on the forum X

Ahh there's lovely[:)] 

I've just warmed up the Welsh sunday dinner you made for me the last time you were here. (It was in the freezer) 

OH has just pounced on it and wants to know where the mint sauce is?[:-))]

Get out in that garden and pick some mint!!  We are currently having lovely weather in Wales.  Bright and crisp.  The snow drops have finished and the daffodils are pushing up and ready to open.  I was in the Vale of Glamorgan this morning and the trees are in pink blossom.

very belated but then I have only just seen this thread  I was visiting my daughter  in kent on the 1st and we had welsh cakes and bara brith for breakfast and then I  pelted back here to a lovely welsh lamb roast and more welsh cakes my neighbours brought me around some daffs not even realising the significance so theres lovely !!