Illegal drugs - How's it done???

chris pp

Somethings been troubling my little brain for the last few weeks and I can't figure it out.

Just sticking to the UK, every day of every week vast quantities of illegal drugs are available in the UK, from street corners to the stock exchange, a veritable supply chain that Tescos would be proud of with apparently a continuous flow with few, if any, shortages.

My question is:

How do all these drugs get into the UK in such vast quantities given the modern security and technical abilities available to the forces of law and order?

Chris

Chris

We are always assuming that the law enforcement agencies in the UK understand what is going on. Given the fiasco of illegal immigrants going missing after their discharge from prison and nobody thinking that maybe they should be detained. I guess we have an idea of why no one knows what's happening with drugs.

I suppose they could always say they do know what's going on and are waiting to catch the big guys. [8-)]

"I suppose they could always say they do know what's going on and are waiting to catch the big guys".

Well, that's my point really, it's not about the odd person here and there with a condom of cocaine or heroin in their intestines - it's really huge amounts. If the system is so "leaky" there could be planes flying into the UK with small armies of terrorists, but I don't think this can be the case - can it?

Sniffer dogs are everywhere that either goods or people enter the UK, all boats in the waters around the UK are monitored, as are light aircraft.

How's it done??

Chris

OK, I just found this...

""The price of cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis and other drugs is at an all-time low, clearly indicating that efforts to stem the spread of illegal drugs on Britain's streets are failing.

The data, based on a survey of more than 2,300 people last year, shows that cannabis resin sold for an average of £43 per ounce, down from 2004's figure of £45 - and a big drop from the 1994 average price of £120 per ounce. Even at this low price, the profit margin for the dealer remains high, at 169 per cent.

The annual survey of drug prices, to be released by the charity Drugscope this week, shows how prices remain low.

Cocaine, sold for around £44 a gram, is one of the less profitable drugs, with a profit margin of around 95 per cent.

Britain's continuing "pill-popping" culture, particularly in its clubs, is indicated by the falling price of an ecstasy tablet, which is usually bought for less than £3.

Amphetamines are also down in price, and cost an average of £9 a gram - yielding a 237 per cent profit margin.

Heroin was one drug that went up in price - from £38 a gram in 2004 to £58 a gram last year. Its profit margin more than doubled, to 152 per cent.

Illustrating the economies of scale underpinning the demand for drugs, dealers selling ecstasy tablets for less than £3 were still able to pocket £1.50 a pill.

There are a number of factors involved in what is rapidly becoming a "buyer's market", according to drugs counsellors. The decreasing purity of some drugs is one reason for the fall in prices, as dealers import drugs and then adulterate them with other, cheaper chemicals in an attempt to hang on to their profit margins.

Another more fundamental reason for the steady drop in prices is that traffickers are flooding Britain with illegal drugs, because demand has increased.""

So, consumption has grown and the price has gone down, our technology has improved but it's easier to smuggle into the UK.

Smoke and mirrors, Tresco? I don't know about that but it does make me wonder if the authorities are really trying, or is it really that easy?

Night, night, Chris

Smoke (weed) Mirrors (cocaine).

It was half a joke.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the profits involved (despite what you have quoted) are imense, and that those importing large quantities can arrange for diversions of attention, to say the very least.

There will be people trying, but the people who stand to gain more (much more, personally) will be trying harder.

Chris

if you visit Dover at any time they have a news board that proudly proclaims that (for example)

"Yesterday the port of Dover handled 15672 Goods trucks, 2104 coaches and 47950 cars".  Roughly the numbers I recollect from my last off-season visit.

There is no way on this earth that customs and the police can keep a 100% track on that flow of traffic (50% in and 50% out).  Now multiply by all the ports with international RORO connections, then add on the freight and container only ports.  Add a few sailing marinas and fishing ports.  Add all of the international airports, and Eurostar and Eurotunnel for good measure.

The volume of international traffic these days is truely staggering.

And that's how its done.

In a previous existence, many years ago I was a Customs Officere. Yep one of the boys in blue, mainly at Fokestone and Dover.  Back then we were mainly concerned with (and officially told to concentrate on) booze and fags to 'Protect the Revenue' Drugs were barely on the radar. When I started at Folkestone, there were around 30 officers to check the cars and lorries off each boat, and the boats could carry around 100 cars and 30 frieght or some combination thereof.  With that manpower we could still only check a fraction of the stuff coming through. By the time I left, and it was one of the reasons I left, the boats were bigger and there were just 3 officers with the occasional roving task force which would drop in like the Sweeney from time to time.  In addition there was one officer to deal with small boats/aircraft and he was given a beat up old mini to patrol from Rye, all the way round the coast to Ramsgate.  Now ask how's it done.

So, the consensus seems to be that there is just too much "stuff" on the move along with too many people, therefore any attempt at control of almost anything, guns or drugs, would appear to be a waste of time, although I still find it a trifle odd that there seems to never be a supply problem, the big importers must be very well organised.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

So, the consensus seems to be that there is just too much "stuff" on the move along with too many people, therefore any attempt at control of almost anything, guns or drugs, would appear to be a waste of time, although I still find it a trifle odd that there seems to never be a supply problem, the big importers must be very well organised.

Chris

[/quote]

Supply problems do exist.  Afghanistan is one of (or the) world's largest producer of opium. Once the 'war on terror began', production levels greatly increased.  I can't remember any more about this; I either read something on the BBC site or saw a French tv program detailing this several months ago.  Here's a link to a wiki article, for those who are interested.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Production_in_Afghanistan[/url]

On more than one occassion small private boats have been swooped upon just off the south devon coast.  They have been carrying quite large quantities of illegal drugs.  So it seems that the age-old way of smuggling still exists.

"Supply problems do exist.  Afghanistan is one of (or the) world's largest producer of opium. Once the 'war on terror began', production levels greatly increased."

But Tay, that was when the Taliban were preventing production of opium poppies, we soon sorted that out though, didn't we, got things back to normal.

Chris

Sorry, that was a poor choice of wording on my part.  I should have said 'supply problems CAN exist' rather than 'do'.  And yes, an unfortunate side effect of the interference from the West...

[quote user="Pip"]

On more than one occassion small private boats have been swooped upon just off the south devon coast.  They have been carrying quite large quantities of illegal drugs.  So it seems that the age-old way of smuggling still exists.

[/quote]

I was once "swooped upon" just outside the Isle of Wight. Customs RIB came charging-up and I expected a long delay whilst the boat was searched. When they asked "where have you been". I just answered "nowhere exciting" and the left us in peace. Ever since then I have wanted to carry a bag of flour on-board so next visit I can start emptying it over the side as the get closer !! (probably not as I have better things to do with my time but maybe I have a warped sense of humour).

Ian