Unfinished books

Russethouse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"] Just reading Haig's War Diaries at the mo'
[/quote]

Regarded as a somewhat controversial figure by some historians, but there are very few in military history that come anywhere near his achievements. (Maybe something to do with a ready supply of the family beverage!)

If you can get hold of a copy, Haig wrote a book titled  Dispatches shortly after the end of the war which is also a good read.

Known in some circles as the 'butcher', he went on to devote the remainder of his life to the welfare of former servicemen via the Royal British Legion.

Have you read any of Lyn MacDonald's books?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I've never read Harry Potter or been to a film either -

[/quote]

You've not missed much IMHO. Though I do believe the Dark Materials Books by Philip Pullman  to be well worth a read. WARNING. Do not attempt the third one first.  (I know that sometimes one does enter a trilogy at odd points, then back track. It doesn't work well in this instance).

As for never finishing. Sorry but the stuff by Salman Rushdie is nice wordflow but takes me nowhere. Certainly I never reach an end.

Loved Life of Pi and Catch 22 is one of my all time favs.  And yes, I have read all of A brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell.  In fact I thouoght they were real page-turners, couldn't get enough  [geek].  Also like 'Bang' by Brian May (yes of 'Queen') and Patrick Moore, they should have given it to me to proof read first - full of typos and grammatical errors, maybe it was rushed out for Christmas last year.   I'm struggling a bit with 'Imagining the Tenth Dimension' , not because its dull but the concepts in it are so hard my poor Winnie the Poo type brain needs a long time for it to sink in (e.g. if there are 10 dimensions, why does he go on about Time being the 11th?  [blink] )