Unfinished books

Russethouse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it. The same applies to Catch 22 which Tresco couldn't read - it's one of my repeat read books - just brilliant.  Yossarian keeps coming back to the experience of his friend the rear gunner dying and accepting the reality of this. The time switches are confusing. Pat.

I'm currently a quarter of the way into The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (great name that!).  I'm finding it really quite boring, all the jumping back and forth in time.  Has anyone else read it and is it worth perservering with?  The reveiws on Amazon rave about it but I can't see where the story is going.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I bought it following someones recommendation on here but what a disapointment. I kept reading, thinking it would develop, but it never happened, not for me anyway.

Or am I missing something ?

[/quote]

agree with some of the others, couldn't read On the Road, Time traveller's I read to the end but wasn't as wowed as the critics, BUT Life Of Pi I thought was absolutely fantastic and it does have a major twist at the end, so you are missing something!! oh god it would be hard to read over though if you didn't like it..... just read the last few chapters then......

When I was but a lad the two books I reread most were Coral Island and The Family from One End Street.

I can still remember my empathy for Lily Rose when she ironed the artificial silk petticoat too hot and it shrank - and her mother made her take it to the posh lady to apologise - but the lady was nice to her! Mrs Ruggles not being able to afford a replacement really hit home to me, as we were in much the same situation ourselves. Funny how trivial things can be so important...

[quote user="Suze"]I'm currently a quarter of the way into The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (great name that!).  I'm finding it really quite boring, all the jumping back and forth in time.  Has anyone else read it and is it worth perservering with?  The reveiws on Amazon rave about it but I can't see where the story is going.
[/quote]

You have to stick with it Suze - it's a wonderful love story.  It stayed with me for such a long time, it's a very unusual story and at first I almost gave up too. 

The secret is to NOT try and calculate how it's possible everytime he turns up in a different time - just let yourself go with the flow and you won't be able to put it down.  Make sure you have a huge box of tissues for the last few chapters[:(]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]When I was but a lad the two books I reread most were Coral Island and The Family from One End Street.

I can still remember my empathy for Lily Rose when she ironed the artificial silk petticoat too hot and it shrank - and her mother made her take it to the posh lady to apologise - but the lady was nice to her! Mrs Ruggles not being able to afford a replacement really hit home to me, as we were in much the same situation ourselves. Funny how trivial things can be so important...
[/quote]

I loved that book as a girl and bought it in paperback last year as a bit of nostalgia. It seemed a 'thinner' book than I remembered but still good. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was another one that I read the print off, I had the others in the series but could never get into them at all.

I re read Cider with Rosie, have only read one Terry Pratchett and I just don't get him at all. The Lord of the Rings.... never got past the first chapter.

[quote user="Russethouse"]I've still got my copy of Coral Island..........I must have liked it as I went to the trouble of covering it with library film. I wonder if any other ladies remember Ballet Shoes by Noelle Streatfield ? I read that lots........[/quote]

The Fossils! Weren't they wonderful; you could relate to all of them in different ways. Also agree about Katherine and Louisa May Alcott, such an interesting woman and from such an intellectual background. I don't suppose you were a fan of the Abbey School books by any chance?

[quote user="Valleyboy"]Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse; just could not get into it at all!
[/quote]

Snap, Phil!!!

I could get into it, it's just that I could not get anything out of it!!!

I thought it was pretty appalling - over-formulaic plot, writing style, a real p...take actually, much worse even than Dan Brown!

[quote user="KathyC"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]I've still got my copy of Coral Island..........I must have liked it as I went to the trouble of covering it with library film. I wonder if any other ladies remember Ballet Shoes by Noelle Streatfield ? I read that lots........[/quote]

The Fossils! Weren't they wonderful; you could relate to all of them in different ways. Also agree about Katherine and Louisa May Alcott, such an interesting woman and from such an intellectual background. I don't suppose you were a fan of the Abbey School books by any chance?

[/quote]

I remember someone called 'Bobby' (a girl) in a book based in a boarding school but was it the Abbey or Swiss Chalet series ?

The docent at Louisa M Alcott's house was excellent and described the parallels between the books and real life. Artwork by the sister who Amy was based on is on the walls, she was a much more accomplished painter than I thought. Also Geraldine Brooks visited the house when she was researching her book 'March' which I had read,  and is based on the father in Little Women

http://www.louisamayalcott.org/