Grand Canyon Skywalk

Clair

A spectacular glass viewing platform has been built over the edge of

the Grand Canyon which allows visitors to gaze deep into the abyss

beneath their feet.

www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/

I've braved the glass lift at La Défense but I would not go there for a zillion pounds!

It reminds me of a pizzeria above the Gorges du Verdon. There was only a short wall and a glass screen between the terrasse and the void, but at least it was not see-through![:-))]

It made me feel ill just to look at it.  I never used to have a problem with heights but the older I get the worse it gets!  I know I'd be on my hands and knees, frozen to the spot if I managed to even get a couple of feet out on to it!!

I saw that on this morning's news and would go out on it without hesitation.

We were in NZ a couple of years ago and along with glass bottomed lifts there is a glass panelled walkway around the top of the Sky Tower in Auckland and whilst I have no problem at all with these things the OH is very nervous so to try and demonstrate their safety I walked onto one of the panels and started jumping up and down which freaked her completely (along, I have to say, with a couple of innocent bystanders, one of whom actually screamed at me to stop..!) [6][:-))]

If you don't like heights etc, then I suppose this would be out of the question then  http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/bungy-jump-sites/nevis-highwire.html

Is it brave or stupid; I don't know, probably leaning towards the latter, but either way it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life and I'd do it again in an instant...........[:D]

Definately not something I would want to walk on.  OH had to peel me off the railings just coming down one of the legs of the Eiffel Tower.  And I had to come down the steps at Rocamadour on my bum (got a few funny looks from those going up them).   However, I have no fear of aeroplanes though either.

I once walked all the way up the outside steps of Beaubourg and after a coffee and a look at the view from the top, realised I'd have to walk down the same way: metal industrial stairs with open slats and no risers... [:'(]

I had not even given it a thought until I looked to the lower landing and realised I could see through all the way down to the Place Beaubourg...

I gripped the handrail so hard my knuckles were white, my heart was in my mouth and I have never been as relieved as when I stepped onto the cobbles 20 minutes later... or it could have been 2 hours, I'll never know!

When I was a teenager I was taken to see the sister bell to Big Ben in Dunblane, right the way up the spiral staircase to the top, I looked down and there was just an inch of floorboard between me and a very long drop, I shuffled all the way back  down that staircase on my bottom !

I visited the Grand Canyon some years ago and took the helicopter ride.  We flew towards the rim at about 100' with the '2001 Space Odyssey' music in our earphones reaching it's climax.

When we went over the edge, it was simply amazing.  Many of the world's natural wonders can be overplayed, but that place is incredible.    

I tried to click on Clair's link, but it wouldn't work.  Saw the YouTube link.  So, is the walk out not covered, meaning open air with only side to hold on to?  Does this mean it will become the new suicide location?  Surely it is closed with a ceiling??

No, I could never walk on it.  I can hardly DRIVE over bridges of any length.  I can't even drive my car up to the top of Mt. Ventoux without getting white knuckles.  And, once up there, walking out to the edge is unthinkable.  Walking across long bridges is an absolute no no for me. 

YouTube link took a while to download, but when it came on both OH and me were saying Oooooooooh no.  Definately not.  I would love to do a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, but even though the U-turn is covered in it has a GLASS walkway and no toilet facilities.  Definately not for me.

[quote user="beryl"]Though I might be tempted if the commentator on the You Tube video was anywhere nearby, dear me, that is not a voice for TV.[/quote]Couldn't agree more in fact I had to turn the sound off. How "gawd" awful is that voice............[+o(]

Just to prove that there can still be surprises after nearly 40 years of marriage.......

Quite independantly of this forum or thread and completely without prompting or even a mention from me, my wife has this morning calmly announced that she would quite like to have a go on the Grand Canyon Walkway......!!!!

Sedated, in a straight jacket and strapped into a wheel chair I would have said but hey, what can I as a mere man know ?

Women...........[:D] [:(] [:'(] [:@] [6] [8-|] [+o(] [:-))] [8-)] [;-)] [:$] [Www] [blink] [kiss]....!