Gordo strikes again - a slap in the face for non working wives.

AnOther

Lets not shoot the messenger.

Whilst I agree with you in principal this mendacious and slimy lot have turned the process into an art form where barely a week goes by without yet another feather being yanked from the Goose [:-))]

Never forget the prime motive of a Labour government - TAX & SPEND...!

[quote user="fulcrum"]This is a typical Telegraph attention getter. [/quote]

Why say that, I can't believe you actually believe it.

Gordon Brown has screwed us for 10 years and 90% has been done in a underhanded way. What the Telegraph has reported is an actual situation.

Personally, I hope he gets his just desserts come election time.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="fulcrum"]This is a typical Telegraph attention getter. [/quote]

Why say that, I can't believe you actually believe it.

Gordon Brown has screwed us for 10 years and 90% has been done in a underhanded way. What the Telegraph has reported is an actual situation.

Personally, I hope he gets his just desserts come election time.

[/quote]

I am not a political animal and wish there was a bunch of people to vote for who aren't going to screw us in some way.

All governments will be faced with a huge problem of how to finance pensions for an ever increasing and healthier population. All GB is doing is ensuring that there will be sufficient funds to finance his governments future plans.

The conservative government only wish they had someone like Gordon Brown. They too would like to do underhanded things if given the chance. However they are trying to position themselves for re-election and can claim that they haven't done any bad things since errrrmmm 1997.

I am not sure that the present government have done everything bad for the British public. Well, apart from screwing us on pensions and the Iraq war. But overall, the ecconomic situation has been pretty good.

Fulcrum you sound a bit like the "So what have the Romans ever done for us?" bit in Life of Brian (but in reverse).

"So having inherited a booming economy, what have Tony Blair and Gordon Brown done wrong? Apart from pensions, Iraq, taxation increases, hospitals, schools, police, daft human rights legislation, foot and mouth..."

Inheritance Tax was introduced in the 1986 Finance Act and the Act received royal assent on 25 July 1986.  Now who was in power in 1986........... Oh I know the TORIES.  So who did THEY intend paid it then???

The decision the Torygraph are moaning about was made by the Tax Commissioners not Gordon Brown, what they have done is to block an attempt to reduce the amount of tax paid by people with property worth over £500K and it has been ruled illegal, not by any changes of the rules by Gordon Brown though, so marks out of 10 for accurate post title well 0/10 really. 

The difference between the two surely is that we expected the Tories to increase tax by stealth but not Labour. When they came to power so many people saw them as the great new hope for a different type of politics, open, clean, clear. Instead they have shown themselves to be devious, dishonest, double dealing, dodgy dorks.

[quote user="Renaud"]Fulcrum you sound a bit like the "So what have the Romans ever done for us?" bit in Life of Brian (but in reverse). "So having inherited a booming economy, what have Tony Blair and Gordon Brown done wrong? Apart from pensions, Iraq, taxation increases, hospitals, schools, police, daft human rights legislation, foot and mouth..."[/quote]

Renaud you do write some bowlocks.  Have you really looked around your poor hard up part of South London recemtly or do you just believe all you read?

Are you a Tory activist?  Because you just seem to be trotting out the same old tired bowlocks that is trotted out by Cameron and co and printed daily in the Daily Mail. If you are going to trot out the party line then at least get some facts into it.  I was in the UK recently at an NHS hospital in the North of England also recently featured on TV and it was such a tremendous improvement in cleanliness and speed of treatment to my last visit three or fours years previously.  There are more Police on the streets now than under the Tories, some 12,000  and how exactly was Labour to be blamed for foot and mouth wasn't it a pig farmer in the NE who started it ?  Schools kids continue to get better and better O and  A level grades and Human rights legislation was introduced by the EU, remind me again what part the Tories want to opt out of, Oh I know the bit that restricts how long you can make your staff work for. Yes Iraq was a cock up, but hang on, wasn't the invasion supported by the opposition. As you are obviously not a labour voter and would like to see a change of government remind us again what Cameron is going to do to change things, or who you think should pay for better public services, Oh hang on silly me,  better public services under a tory government, never been done yet has it?

Ron, I defended you when that 'wood' bloke called you an 'anorak'. I even offered you an olive branch over our clash of views over the 'Fat Controller (Prescott).

You really are way off base on this one and spouting out such drivel smacks of fanatisism of an almost religious nature.

It's probably to late for you but you seriously need to open your eyes.

[quote user="Tag"]When they came to power so many people saw them as the great new hope for a different type of politics, open, clean, clear. Instead they have shown themselves to be devious, dishonest, double dealing, dodgy dorks.[/quote]

Just being politicians. Non?

If the conservatives were to win the next election and then govern the country for a ten year period. I can bet that you will be writing the same thing about their term in office. Sad but true.

I am not a lawyer but I wonder if the situation could have been prevented had the proprty been a)initially bought 'in common' b) half gifted to t'other half.

Other than that I doubt it it politoical in a labour/Conservative way. It is opportunist. 500,000 families affected. A dot on the sea of pixels, however vociferous.  It took a lot more to overturn poll tax.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Ron, I defended you when that 'wood' bloke called you an 'anorak'. I even offered you an olive branch over our clash of views over the 'Fat Controller (Prescott).

You really are way off base on this one and spouting out such drivel smacks of fanatisism of an almost religious nature.

It's probably to late for you but you seriously need to open your eyes.

[/quote]

Bugbear, no doubt you'll come back with one of your 'classic' whatever.... responses, but is Ron A supposed to be grateful? 

What you've said is far worse than being called an anorak (though I agree, that's a silly thing to call anyone).

You are suggesting a loss of reason, which Ron - and others who hold a different view to the OP, and perhaps you (John Owens and Fulcrum) - have demonstrably shown is not their problem.

[quote user="Tresco"]

Bugbear, no doubt you'll come back with one of your 'classic' whatever.... responses, but is Ron A supposed to be grateful? 

What you've said is far worse than being called an anorak (though I agree, that's a silly thing to call anyone).

You are suggesting a loss of reason, which Ron - and others who hold a different view to the OP, and perhaps you (John Owens and Fulcrum) - have demonstrably shown is not their problem.

[/quote]

In your opinion, of course.

I'm not sure about the 'whatever' thing, as from memory, I've only ever posted that response once on this forum. Anyway, just for you, "whatever"........................................

What the f**k has this got to do with you Bugbear?    If I am so off beam, quote facts. not ill mannered rhetoric.  So , what have I written that is inaccurate or factually incorrect?  Come on you know so much about the UK,  and please quote recent personal experience not politically driven tosh you have read from the right wing press as Renaud did.   Here is a question for you, which party was in power when Inheritance tax, the so-called bane of Middle England was introduced? Give you a clue it was before 1997 and after 1979.

Gordon Brown had naff all to do with introducing Inheritance tax or the decision cited by the OP. Have you noticed anything about the Tory papers recently, they are digging up all the old stuff they can find about Gordon Brown, 1997 alleged pensions error, selling gold cheap in 2002, if these were such newsworthy issues how come they have waited so long to bring them up?  Could it be with the lack of any creditable policies coming from the opposition except hug a hoodie, the tory press are crapping themselves that the country might with the Iraq debacle out of the way with Blair, just look around and think its actually better in this country now with things like the harmonisation of human rights, a minimum wage for youngsters, better and more modern hospitals,  more police on the streets, low inflation and interest rates and good job prospects for those who want to work than it was under the Tories and Labour under Brown might, just might just get a 4th term?

I have no idea what you are talking about with the other issues, I have never had any altercation with Chris Head that I know about and as for Prescott, well you have your your views and I have mine and I certainly don't need your agreement or blessing to post my views and opinions.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

What the f**k has this got to do with you Bugbear?   

[/quote]

Charming, and well out of order but  no more than I'd expect. As to what it has to do with me, well, unless I'm mistaken, I'm still allowed an opinion and I choose to express mine without resorting to such bad language.

Get a life sunshine........................................[:@]

I don't understand what you are trying to say. This is an OPEN forum and if you post something, then everyone on here has a right to reply. If you want a private discussion where everyone will agree with you this is not the place to be.

Getting back on topic read this and then no doubt come back with your usual comment about twisted facts and stuff.

Whoah, whoah.  It could be a really interesting debate this but PLEASE stop fighting, you guys.  It's worse than the house of commons on here!  Where's Mr Speaker?  ORDER! ORDER!  One thing I learned about political debate in my days as a shop steward - it does not pay to lose your temper.  You will certainly fail to get your point across.[:-))]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]1997 alleged pensions error[/quote]

Despite being the OP this has all got too inflamed for me but I simply cannot let this one pass....alleged pension error.....pray what's alleged about it.

FACT: Virtually on day 1 Gordo "stole" 5bn PA in dividends tax credits from the pensions industry, an act of crass and ill conceived vandalism which has resulted in the catastrophic collapse we now witness. Certainly the industry itself is far from blameless what with grossly underestimating life expectancy, extended pension "holidays", and simply poor management, but these factors pale in relation to Gordo's contribution.

As for being newsworthy, as I recall in 1997 when he did his smash and grab it was big news but, as with so many things, over time the news moves on and the majority of the british public forget and sleepwalk on in blessed oblivion and are only now waking up to the reality of what's been done to them.

I don't mean to pry Ron and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, from what I've read in some of your other post's, personal experience of "The Fat Controller" etc., I'd hazard a guess that you may be in the highly fortunate position of being in a gold plated public sector final salary pension scheme and therefore totally immune to all this.

In fairness to Gordo though, he did say he wouldn't put up income tax and in that he's been true to his word.

Could it be with the lack of any creditable policies coming from the opposition except hug a hoodie, the tory press are crapping themselves that the country might with the Iraq debacle out of the way with Blair, just look around and think its actually better in this country now with things like the harmonisation of human rights, a minimum wage for youngsters, better and more modern hospitals,  more police on the streets, low inflation and interest rates and good job prospects for those who want to work than it was under the Tories and Labour under Brown might, just might just get a 4th term?

On the other hand they might turn round and say that inheritance tax is hitting people it was never intended to and that Gordons increase in the stamp duty threshold is still woefully inadequate to exempt first time buyers in a good proportion of the country.

How did a chancellor who calls himself 'Labour' manage to do away with the 10p rate of tax that helped the less well off ? I know several people people  who do not anticipate benefiting from any balancing  adjustment, they will just be poorer, and they were already not well off.

At the same time the health service system has been mishandled in a way that means that newly qualified doctors are missing out on jobs (with many opting to go abroad thus depriving the UK of a skilled person we have contributed toward) and that nurses are out of work because their health authority ran out of funds before the end of its financial year.

The hospital you visited may be a paragon of cleanliness but yesterday it was reported that one hospital, with an already poor record on infections, is telling staff to turn sheets over and head to toe, rather than change them for fresh.

How many times has the education system with meddled with ? Yes, children are getting more passes in GCSE's but when those exams are in themselves often devalued and criticized by would be employers who have experience of the young people coming out of the system, it doesn't mean much

Then there is rubbish - with many local authorities attempting attain 'green credentials' and opting for fortnightly collections of ordinary rubbish and recyclable rubbish in rotation.........this will lead to fly tipping, more fires, neighbor disputes and is a recipe for disaster.IMHO. I already am a 'rubbish' tourist having to take at least 1 bag to my mothers each week. While I recognize that may not be strictly a Westminster government issue I think that peoples day to day experience does influence they way they perceive the state of the country.

Thanks for your link read this  Bugbear, I've been engrossed in the site for yonks.

I though I was at least aware if not fully up to speed on most of Gordy's schennigans but there are pearlers here I'd never even heard of.

I sent it to a Brit pal in the US and his Yank pals thought it was a joke, which in the sickest and most depressing way it is.