the secret inheritance

Tag

Commentators seem to think that this is contrary to a speech Mr Brown made in the week, how to start on the wrong foot, lesson one!

This just highlights the folly of the 6 week hand over period, whatever Mr Brown may think as he is not Prime Minister he is sort of stymied.

I certainly would not like correspondence I have had with local MPs made public. Some of it has contained highly personal information. If this is the price of open access to MPs expense details then it is a ridiculous law that needs redrafting as a matter of urgency.

Messrs Brown, Blair etc are mere amateurs in the matter of dodgy public dealings. Look at the record of the new French environment minister.

"I certainly would not like correspondence I have had with local MPs made public. Some of it has contained highly personal information"

The "constituents' privacy" argument put forward by certain mendacious, self-serving MPs is apparently worthless, as such information would be protected by data protection legislation anyway.

SEVEN WHO BACKED THE BILL AND THEIR EXPENSES

FRANK DORAN, Labour, Aberdeen North. Was highest-spending MP to back the Bill. Claimed £23,101 in total – £5,730 for car travel, £1,635 for rail and £15,736 for air.

PHIL WOOLAS, Labour, Oldham East and Saddleworth. Claimed £19,364 in total – £3,489 for his car, £8,736 for rail and £7,139 for air travel.

JANET ANDERSON, Labour, Rossendale and Darwen. Claimed £17,874. Of that, £16,612 was for her car – the largest figure claimed by any MP – and £1,262 for rail.

DAVID CLELLAND, Labour, Tyne Bridge. Claimed £18,128 in total – £5,315 for car travel, £3,699 for rail and £9,114 for air travel.

SIR STUART BELL, Labour, Middlesbrough. Claimed £8,436 for car travel, £7,861 for rail travel and £688 in air costs – a total of £16,985.

BRIAN DONOHOE, Labour, Ayrshire Central. Claimed £20,235 in total – £7,038 for car travel, £2,133 for rail and £11,064 for air travel.

DAVID MACLEAN, Tory, Penrith & The Border. Claimed £15,725 in total – £6,969 for car travel, £8,561 for rail and £195 for air travel.