The Politicians we Deserve

Hoddy

Last week someone said that we get the politicians we deserve and that set me thinking about the people who'd represented me in parliament over the years. These are the ones I remember.

(Lord) George Brown - the man for whom the expression 'tired and emotional' was coined.

Margaret Beckett - easily the best and very different from her media image.

Edwina Currie - remember 'pensioners should wear woolly hats' ?

The only distinction my present MP, David Taylor,  has achieved so far is that of voting on both sides in the hunting debate. I didn't know it was possible until he did it.

So did I deserve them ? I'm not sure. Did you deserve your MPs ?

Hoddy

The only distinction my present MP, David Taylor,  has achieved so far is that of voting on both sides in the hunting debate. I didn't know it was possible until he did it.

Was Mr Taylor one of those who supported the exemption for MPs from the Freedom of Information requirements? If so you could always write to him and congratuate him for his outstanding self-interest.

We have Robert Wilson who seems fairly quiet in Parlimentary terms, we certainly did not deserve our previous MP (Jane Griffiths) who was nearly deselected and then later was deselected and who used to ride about on a bike in a goody two shoes type of way.......in fact I rather envy the MP of the next constituency, Martin Salter, who agree with him or not, seems to be a man of principal.

Or going in the other direction we have Boris..........[:-))]

I didn't ever live in the constituencies that they served, but for what it's worth, here's a few names that I have time for:

• Frank Field - knowledgable, seemingly, a man of integrity
  • Austin Mitchell - sense of humour
  • Ken Clarke - robust / no-nonsense

Desperate isn't it?  Struggling to think of any more.