HMRC residence and remitance

lindal1000

I should say that as my income is well below the tax threshold I am highly unlikely to be investigated as there is no potential for them to claw back any money. Lol (sorry I can't get the smileys to work from my tablet).

But were that to change I can't see keeping details of the crossings would prove much as OH books them online in his name and they never ask for details of the other passengers.

If you want to add to the confusion I have a 50 hour contract to work for a UK company but do all of the work remotely, never stepping inside the UK for a second, in relation to the job. If I ever had to explain that one I'm sure it would send the HMRC staff into apoplectic fits.

Well interestingly HMRC do seem to want me to declare it to them as it is a UK contract. The work can and is carried out wherever I am at the time. I have done it from France, Spain, Greece etc. I do as it happens also declare it in France as most of it is done from my desk in France. However as it is also done via a server hosted in the UK that produces other complications. As it is below the tax threshold in both countries I don't think either of them pay much attention to it.

I agree, declaring income tax in France is the least of things needed in France. You

should be registered in some shape or form with the french authorities if you are working in France, especially if you are a french resident.

How do you get your health care?

It's not that simple though. I'm in a similar situation except that I'm self-employed, but like Linda I work remotely and I might start a job in one country and finish it in another. I tried to get some sense out of HMRC but they stuck their heads in the sand and kept telling me I had to keep separate records of what I did in each country and invoice separately. Which is just not do-able - say if it's a big translation project, are you supposed to count exactly how many words you translated in which place and send the client two different invoices, one as an AE in France and one as a UK freelancer? The clients will love that. It's a ridiculous idea, and anyway I charge by the word not by the hour so what about the time you spend in the UK revising a page that you translated while you were in France?

In the end HMRC got up my nose so much that I decided to put it all through my AE, which leaves me worse off because I pay cotisations on it all, but it seemed simpler and I'm scareder of the fisc than of HMRC, though that might change. I'm expecting it all to hit the fan one day but like Linda, I don't earn enough to pay significant tax, and if you divide it between countries I would pay no tax at all, so if anybody does decide to investigate all it will do is waste their time.

The main reason I did it that way round was that I need a siret number in order to get the work in the first place. Apart from that it would have been tempting to stay UK based and get healthcare in France via a worker's S1 on the basis that I was self-employed in the UK but carrying on a subsidiary activity abroad, Which is what I did for the first year I was here. But, I needed the siret.

I am registered .. I have a small AE which brings in more than my UK income and I pay charges on that. In addition I declare my UK earnings in France. I'm not going to start a long discussion with them about whether the money is UK earnings, French earnings or whatever as no doubt it would have both sides spinning round so fast that they would disappear up their own backsides.. I fill things into the correct boxes and wait for them to ask more questions.

If you are registered in France then I simply would not worry about UK tax. I'd just keep straight with the french authorities.

They can very easily check how many times you were in the UK, I do not believe that they cannot. What with mobile phone use and bank cards, they can see where we are most of the time, if they want.

Is it not true that if you earn under £5000 that you don't have to do a tax declaration anyway? I'll have to look into that, I have a tiny income in the UK and spoke to them a couple of years ago and they said it was too small to need a self assessment form filling in and I'm sure that the figure they mentioned was about £5K.

• 2 years later...
I was not even up at 8.32 today, and it says that I posted at that time today on the listing for this thread.

Have I been hacked or has someone been tweaking an old post??????

Would rather like to know which, as if no one has been doing something to an old post, then maybe I have problems[:(]