Winning mouse trap bait

Ian

I'm going to bait 3 traps: one with my favorite the cashew (from experiments this outperforms chocolate about 3 to 1), another with nougat and a third with a lardon.  (gotta go to the shops for the nougat - haven't bought that in years...might get a bit for myself)

Place your bets......

When we returned to the UK, the builders left some gaps in some areas. So when we returned we have had a problem with mice. I bought some humane traps and I caught some with chocolate and some with cheese. I have now set six free in our local mouse refuge and have seen no more. [:)] Fingers crossed that's it.

I have bought a few of the sonic devices that I will use to deter anymore from entering. I have to admit I think they are very cute but don't want them living in the house with me. But can't see how anyone could use those snap traps on them. [:(] I could never do it but just the thought of having to wake up to having to dispose of the poor thing particularly if it is maimed and not killed would be something I would find very upsetting. Using poison is out of the question also not only because I wouldn't want to but because of our dog and the owls and other wildlife that live here. In any case, have had empty cages for the past week. [:)]

Interesting no one has mentioned using cheese. I thought that was a favourite.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/cheese.jpg[/IMG]

I have tried cheese, the favorite of cartoon mice the world over.  It faired pretty well - just behind chocolate and about the same as stale bread and homemade fig jam!  Haven't tried a lardon or nougat yet, tho I did try bacon rind (based on a tip from a man in a pub - always risky) back in the UK and found it hopeless. French mice=french lardons!

These

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/Catsandscenes11.05001.jpg[/IMG]

work best for me (when they're awake).  After 5 days away in Belgium, we returned to be greeted by no less than 11 mouse corpses on the doorstep! (Don't try using them as trap-bait though, please!)

I have one of these, but he has declared a 'mouse amnesty' inside the house.     If they are in the house, they must be other pets, and therefore to be respected.    I think he is still confused about dog arriving, and now has resigned himself to all manner of animals being brought into his house.

I use mouse-friendly trap.   However, ours was not particularly friendly, because the design seemed to mean that any mouse with a tail longer than around half an inch would get it caught in the door when it snapped shut, either breaking off tail completely, or just leaving it thrashing around in agony until we heard it and released tail.      Tip for anyone who is experiencing this and hasn't worked it out for themselves (probably no-one !), put a little screw in bottom of cage and then door shuts but with just enough room for mouse to pull its tail inside without injuring it.

Anyway, aside from that, Ive always gone with cheese (which does go disgustingly mouldy after a few days), so might try some of other suggestions.   Definitely not cashews though because I would probably be getting up in middle of night to go down and remove last one from trap to eat it myself - love them !

Ours were rather partial to crunchy peanut butter.  However, we now have 5 cats and not had a single mouse in the house since we got them.

Also keep stores (anything in bags and not jars or tins) in plastic containers in cupboards.  Although when we first got the kittens and they hadn't discovered "mousing" we were sitting watching telly one night and kept hearing a rustling sound.  Tracked it down to a mouse who had chewed it's way through a tough plastic cat biccy bag and was having a feast.  Kitties then associated mice with food and presto!