latest on those pesky social contributions, please

mint

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Daft Doctor, not sure if I rattled any cages, but like yourself I had not heard anything, in my case it has only been 5 months since I lodged my claim. Unlike some on here, who seemed to have received an acknowledgement that their claim had been received, I have not received anything. So last week I e-mailed my local tax office, who replied back within about 2 hours, telling me that my dossier had been forwarded to their office in Niort, and I should hear something in the following weeks.

So if you have not enquired at your local tax office it may be worth sending them an e-mail, and see what response that you receive.

Hi Grecian, I have emailed the tax office twice, once after about 3 weeks to make sure they'd received everything, and after about 4 months. I was told everything had been forwarded to the legal section in Annecy, then after my second email I was told that there was a huge backlog of cases and I just had to wait. That was nearly 4 months ago however, and it's hard not to get frustrated when other areas of France seem to be dealing with things much more promptly.

My claim is still pending as well, DD. They reckoned it would take another two months minimum and that was two months ago, so I am not holding my wind.

There is probably only one person working on the claims and given that the do not work that many days per year, you can see why things go very slowlllllllllyyyyyy.

Anyway, this is France and the State is in a state of shock at being caught out in a fiddle, which has paralysed it.

Well DD, it would seem like there is not much more that you can do at the moment then. At least you know that they have received your claim, and as Wooly says it just seems like a case of sitting back and waiting, and waiting and waiting...[:D]

[quote user="Fittersmate"]Have now received repayment of Social Charges into our bank account. However, no interest has been included. Before we head down to the tax office or email them regarding this just wondered if the interest is paid separately.[/quote]

YES, we have had 3 separate sums for the years, 12, 13 and 14 plus a further sum that was the interest amortised.

• 4 weeks later...
Check your bank account, Wools.  Mine was paid directly into the bank account, together with the interest, just a couple of days after the date on the letter.

I have now also had a further sum that I claimed for on interest in savings accounts in the UK, interest on an on-line savings account in France and OH's PEL.

The second lot of money which I claimed was agreed very quickly (well, very quickly as we are in France and it IS May with multiple public holidays), something like a couple of weeks.

OTOH, money claimed back from HMRC took about 3 months but when they left out one item, I wrote to them last week and the repayment cheque came yesterday!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Are we claiming a rebate for the 2015 tax year? Does anyone know if the fisc have changed the rules so we pay or not?[/quote]

Hi,

Very difficult to get a definitive answer to this ;  most sources seem to think CSG paid on 2015 income will be repaid , but the advice is - keep putting claims in for all future years as well , regardless of official announcements, as there are actions underway at the ECJ disputing the legality of what the french have done.  

• 1 month later...
  Hi,

No, you are not alone ;  I recently read a piece in (I think) Les Echos where the finance ministry acknowledged that they were taking a long time due to the volume of claims (and presumably lack of staff), and asked people not to contact them , as there would be no question of the delay constituting a rejection of the claims.

I have been mocked many times in the past for living in Dordogneshire.  But, guess what, my rebate including interest was in our bank account after only a very few weeks.

The second rebate, relevant to interest in French savings accounts, was repaid in a very few days.

Sometimes it pays to live where the foncs are used to les anglais, methinks[:)]

Glad you got a result,Mint. When I went into our Charente tax office the guy helpfully rang Angouleme to ascertain the current position and he was told that the document were all there and there was lots to do and they were waiting for clarification..... In the meantime we were told to claim again for the last year and the current year as soon as we received our tax Avis in the summer . I think they are waiting for something to turn up ....

Thanks for the tip re last year and the current year.  Parsnips gave the same advice so all to the good![:D]

Don't worry about it being late, in my experience they do come up with the goods in the end.  Other thing is, they give you interest for waiting and their rates are considerably more generous than what you could get from your UK bank[:D][;-)]

• 3 weeks later...
Hello D Doctor-good news on our claim . We had a letter asking for a RIB which I sent off and although Mr. B says don't count the chickens , I am planning little presents to ourselves to reward us for our wait . Silly I know but it makes a break from the endless gardening . So be patient and keep smiling .

[quote user="mrsblack"]Hello D Doctor-good news on our claim . We had a letter asking for a RIB which I sent off and although Mr. B says don't count the chickens , I am planning little presents to ourselves to reward us for our wait . Silly I know but it makes a break from the endless gardening . So be patient and keep smiling .[/quote]

I don't know how or why but this appeared at an earlier stage of these sagas . I suppose I sent it to the wrong person . Sorry

• 2 months later...
Hallelulah! Letter from the fisc arrived a few days ago. 90% of my claim has been accepted, plus interest. No mention of recalculating impots for 2014 & 2015 due to less CSG being available to offset income in those years, so maybe they're overlooking all that.

The letter says there is 2 months to appeal, which of course I've no intention of doing. Does that mean they won't pay out until that period has elapsed, or should I expect something imminently?

Nice to have good news for once!