Menopause and Weight Gain

Suninfrance

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to put a spanner in the works, but after not having a period for five and a half years, hot flushes easing off, and the miseries not so bad either, I have had three little bleeds, had loads of tests, no problems whatsoever, have now been told by gyny consultant, that I am still not yet through the menopause, I asked now what? he shrugged and said Start counting again, I am 61 by the way. So hopefully, by the time I'm seventy, I can expect a "NORMAL" life.

there's a great website, MinniePauz, under http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/ which has a humorous approach to the menopause but also has extremely good information and very helpful and supporting forums.  Always worth a visit.

My weight has piled on in the last year, despite eating the same, and I feel 'stockier' and less agile than I used to.  I'm right in the middle of all this menopause nonsense, hot flushes abound.  The worst bit is that if I drink a single glass of wine - WHOOOSH, red shiny face and everyone thinks I'm drunk, but I'm not.  It's like my system can't process the wine and it makes a flush. 

What is very helpful is plenty of soya products, soya milk on the breakfast cereal.  The rattiness and general depression has really eased off and I'm pretty convinced it's due to that.  The MinniePauz site is full of helpful hints about what to eat.

But with regard to the weight ... I think it's stuck there now, despite my best efforts.  Oh well, didn't they used to say that famous artists like Rubens always preferred the larger rounded lady?  Perhaps one day my generous curves will come back into fashion ....

Oh Pierre, I loved it.   Sums me up at the moment.

And, back to original question, I have always been a skinny thing (whole family).   Not sure I have ever really topped over the 8 stone mark, size 6 or 8 on a bad day (ho ho, or size 4 if we are talking M&S clothes !).   Suddenly noticed the other day something that could almost (yuk) be described as 'love handles'.   Anyway, dug out the old CK size 8 jeans and yes they do still fit, BUT they are a tad on the tight side.   Now trying to decide if it is the copious amounts of wine or whether it is a menopausal symptom.    Night time hot flushes are back by the way ... they had gone for a few weeks .. not as bad as first time though, and lets be honest I might even be slightly grateful for them if this winter is as cold as last !

Glad to see we ladies all have a sense of humour! Also suffering insomnia, how annoying is it to toss and turn... dropping off just before the alarm is about to go off...

Apparently  a recent study has found that women find different male faces attractive depending on where they are in their menstrual cycle... for example when a woman is ovulating she prefers a man with rugged features. However when she is menstruating she prefers a man doused in petrol and set on fire, with scissors stuck in his eye and a cricket stump shoved up his back side....