IKEA Southampton !

Frederick

Oh dear ! Silly me for thinking  that  the thousands of second home owners and  those planning to be. living in the south of England might think the information posted in the NON French section might be of interest to them ...   The store is to be sited  40 minutes from two main ports to France.... Poole and Portsmouth and from what I have read on  this site IKEA is a popular place to shop for people wishing to take stuff over....Should I slap my wrist and promise not to mention Southampton again ?  Some stuff is cheaper in France....a lot .... if its available both side of the channel .... you will see a euro price and a pound price shown as the same on some furniture so  if you are spending a lot .... in France you can save a lot .....Some stuff is cheaper in the UK ....you need to check their sites on line and compare then decide where to buy .....I dont know when they are starting to build it  ...as far as I know the store could be sitting flat packed on the dockside  now... and  be up and selling meat balls in the cafe in a week.. but ..I had better not say when its open ?  

[quote user="Panda "]Interestingly isn't stuff supposed to be much cheaper in IKEA France than the UK, (I've heard quoted 30% on some things) if this is the case, then Normandy would be a better bet!![/quote]

It's a bit sad to trawl through the two catalogues for the truth, but as we stay not far from an Ikea when we visit the UK we have checked out prices of intended purchases.

Everything we looked at was cheaper in the UK and amongst other things we bought three Ikea kitchens there - one was 40% cheaper.

Steve

Am I missing something with IKEA?  I don't have anything IKEA either here or in France.

Croydon is my nearest store so we trolled off there just once to see what we could find for our (at the time) new place in France.  Yet we found nothing at all, the store was a shambles, actually getting to buy anything was chaotic with hoardes of people crammed against the tills trying to get served and OH getting crankier by the minute as we were swept along with the tide of humanity in there.  Needless to say we were out of there as soon as we could escape, but OH was very impressed by the fried breakfasts for 99p which sort of salved his fevered brow!

Is this fiasco a peculiarly Croydon thing or is it perhaps an IKEA phenomenom?   I have to say that after our last experience I would be very reluctant to attempt IKEA again, and, I suspect OH would refuse to go with me anyway.

Is this fiasco a peculiarly Croydon thing or is it perhaps an IKEA phenomenom?   I have to say that after our last experience I would be very reluctant to attempt IKEA again, and, I suspect OH would refuse to go with me anyway.

Croydon traffic system is enough to put anyone off going to the IKEA there. However the last time I went the store had been much improved. I have to say the IKEA Bordeaux is a completely different story, it's a good lunch stop and chance for a quick shop on the way from the airport to the maison secondaire.

Definitely it is a case of picking the right time to go.

My first experience of Ikea was a salutory lesson.

It was when one had only recently opened in Lakeside Essex and 'er indoors and daughter said they were going for a look se, I foolishly said I'd tag along for the ride. What a mistake.

We ended up with an estate car stuffed with so much gear that daughter was almost buried by it on the back seat not to mention a bill for a 2 or 3 hundred pounds. I'm not saying I encouraged it but at the same time er' indoors would never have dared to bring all that lot home without prior discussion so ultimately it was my fault by being there !