Facebook.com

Normandie

Hello all

I've been meaning to ask (for a week or so) whether you limit your emailing/online habit to a certain time of day so as not to spend too much time on your 'virtual' life?

Is it something you do in the evening for example?

I used to check this forum out (when at work) very quickly before 09.00 or at lunchtime, or at slack moments but now I'm at home on maternity leave (and have got a pc at home at long last) I've been online a lot more although it has meant that it has become less exciting now it's not so elicit!

However, I've just signed up to Facebook and I hope that the novelty will soon wear off as it's wasting far too much time ... and I can't seem to control the usage!!!  I just can't resist wasting time on it esp now the days are shorter and darker - all the more reason why I (and baby!) should get out at least once a day!

Have a good weekend ...

• 3 weeks later...

It's a 'social network'.  You can look up friends on it (if they've joined!) but it's a pretty large database so if they have an unusual name it's much easier to find them. Try facebook.com

It's great for following, for example, a friend's progress on his round the world trip and keeping in touch with close friends easily and even finding people you may have lost touch with (which I've done).

The addiction has worn off now though!

I've now found freerice.com which is great for getting my brain exercised a bit more ...

[quote user="Normandie"]

It's a 'social network'.  You can look up friends on it (if they've joined!) but it's a pretty large database so if they have an unusual name it's much easier to find them. Try facebook.com

It's great for following, for example, a friend's progress on his round the world trip and keeping in touch with close friends easily and even finding people you may have lost touch with (which I've done).

The addiction has worn off now though!

I've now found freerice.com which is great for getting my brain exercised a bit more ...

[/quote]

Oh right. My kids are always trying to get me interested in stuff like this.  Trouble is i'd never get any bloody work done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurray!

Got to 48 at long last!!!

The repetition of certain words helps plus does any French/Latin knowledge, and some good guesses (plus no trick answers).

Now feel a bit more confident about my brain's ability to go back to work in January ...

Hope you all have a great weekend (once you've got your thermals on!)

[quote user="Normandie"]

Hurray!

Got to 48 at long last!!!

[/quote]

What have I done... [:-))]  Had a look at the site and called OH over... "have a look at this site - it's good isn't it!"  now he is determined to get more than 48 and I suspect he'll not move until he does!  I guess that means we're not going shopping for a while then!  [:D]

He wants more than 48?! 

48 isn't good enough?  Oh no, I was satisfied with that score so I guess I'm going to have to keep playing ... [:@]

He's not googling any words is he - or is your OH just dead brainy?

How are the rest of you getting on?

Will you actually use any of the words that are new to you?

Work a conversation round to a subject just so you can add in the new word!!!

Oh dear, this is going to take up lots of time!  I briefly touched 48 - I blame all that latin I learnt years ago - but the way it deducts points for every word you get wrong means that I didn't get to stay there very long!  Interestingly though, a fair number of the words at around that level are straightforward french ones like plage.  Maybe it reflects its american origins?

Other than those, I can't see me using any of the words!

Helen 

[quote user="Normandie"]

He wants more than 48?! 

48 isn't good enough?  Oh no, I was satisfied with that score so I guess I'm going to have to keep playing ... [:@]

[/quote]

mmm that's my OH... always has to win!  Our children learnt at a young age not to race daddy at anything... and of course it rubbed off!  you just wouldn't want to play monopoly in our house!  Me, I prefer to make drinks and watch!  [Www] [:D]