I was always taught to say thank you.

Bugsy

Sometimes on the internet. you forget where a site is, especially when your internet service provider does not do a list of visited sites.  I've got lost on the internet!   But I do agree everyone should always say thank you.

Bugbear - are you always polite?  [Www]

Depends on the nature of what people are asking.  If its a "my circumstances are ... and what should I do" then I agree.  However, if its a general discussion type question then it is a bit of a waste of time as others who contributed will just start getting e-mails, etc. and it is more os a general interest, chat type of thread.

And I notice the person who asked the original question in this thread has not said thank you for the responses.  But then maybe the nature of this thread is such that they feel saying thank you is not appropriate (which it isn't) so maybe their lack of thanks has sort of answered their own question.

Ian

Thanks in advance for answering all my future questions, for putting right my future misapprehensions, and for any kind words you may say over the next year or so.

Will that do? [blink]

Seriously, I agree with Bugbear. Many people put a lot of time and effort into giving well-researched replies, often to almost the same question asked over and over again, on forums like this. They don't do it in oder to get recognition, but even the briefest message of thanks makes it worthwhile, as well as being a basic courtesy.

I also agree with Bugbear. It's only common courtesy to at least respond with an acknowledgement of some sort, because the people that have taken the time to do a little research and respond don't know if the OP has even seen the response. However, I know it could be easy to forget after some time has past and where it is, particularly for those that look in infrequently.

This reminds me, I wonder if Newtofrance has sorted his treasure trove. He should at least give us an acknowledgement and update us on the situation so far. [:@][:D]

But then how long should people be given before the digging messages are posted.  Should people be expected to come back and see the answer and say thank you within 15hrs 9mins (overnight) and after that people answering can start getting "put out" and post digs to the thread.  Seems to me that 15hrs 9mins overnight is not really enough as not everybody spends their entire life on the forum !!

Ian

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Thank you Ian, how are your cucumbers by the way.................[;-)]

As for the rest of you, who actually know what I'm on about.....Thank you [kiss][kiss][Www]

[/quote]

Oh, I missed that. Do give those of us that don't have a clue a hint, because I want a kiss too. [:)]

Actually, I can accept (grudgingly) not being thanked. What I find unbelievably rude is when I do reply, with a genuine answer, and the OP comes back and thanks, specifically, by name, someone who's given them a different answer, and totally ignores the fact that I've gone to the trouble to reply. I also find it rude (and this happened to me quite recently) when you answer a question for someone or point them in the direction of a website, and they respond (with thanks) by going on to ask you for more information because they "are too busy" to check it for themselves. That's rude,and it takes the biscuit.

As a relative newcomer to posting on forums, the question about when to say thank you has been a tricky one for me.  I could say thank you as soon as I get an answer..... but then when I did that it seemed to close down the debate when actually the initial answer only really half-helped.  So another time I let it run a day or two ..... by which time various posters had started a discussion of their own, and it seemed rude to interrupt to say thank you (though I did).  And once I had said thank you, the discussion continued afterwards, so should I have posted another message to show I was still interested....?

I'm not looking for answers to these conundrums - but just wanted to put in a word for those of us who are struggling to find our way in internet protocols and maybe get it wrong without meaning to!  

Helen