Gordon Ramsay prog tonight

Gardian

Switch off after 8 minutes.

Call me old-fashioned, but what a load of cretinous, inane b******s.  More appropriate to Saturday morning kid's tv (apart from the extreme language and the naked woman cooking her whatevers).

It's probably me - everyone else doubtless thought it was great.   

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gardian"]

Switch off after 8 minutes.

Call me old-fashioned, but what a load of cretinous, inane b******s.  More appropriate to Saturday morning kid's tv (apart from the extreme language and the naked woman cooking her whatevers).

It's probably me - everyone else doubtless thought it was great.   

[/quote]

Agree with you 10000000%, he's absolute hyper, and with his new "thing" of slapping the palm of his hand and bouncing up and down to the tune of his foul language I think we could have switched over at the same time.     Apparently he's doing marvellously in America, I just wish they'd keep him over there.      I read he stated people who don't like his style "are not in the real world", well he can stick to his planet 'cos I definitely don't want to be on it.   Give me Jamie Oliver any night of the week, a truly nice talented lad.     

No, the language doesn't bother me either - I only mentioned it in the context of my comment about it being more like a kid's programme.

I must say that the cooking progs are struggling a bit just now - everybody is looking for a new format & largely failing.  For me, some of the recent offerings (last night, Nigella, etc) make some of the Keith Floyd series look pretty good.  I think that he did more to take the mystique out of cooking than anybody since (with the exception of Jamie Oliver).

I also really like anything that Rick Stein does, but his stuff is more like a travelogue than a cookery prog.

Anyway, did anybody see the whole programme last night - did it improve?

"Anyway, did anybody see the whole programme last night - did it improve?"

I saw it. A bit of a "roller-coaster" hurtling from one course to the next and what the cooking challenge with various celebrities in between courses I don't think it was the best of programmes.

I like Jamie but he seems to have re-invented himself recently as a gardener and I don't think that works, the poor lackey who really does all the hard work in the garden always looks quite depressed!LOL

A few too many eating / cookery programmes at present for me!

[quote user="memb"]

Give me Jamie Oliver any night of the week, a truly nice talented lad.  

[/quote]

Essex boy done good.

I hadn't realised till now that Nigella was a cook but one lives and learns.

There are far too many progs about cooks and cooking with very few ways to make a prog "different" - and let's face it most only exist as a vehicle to sell the latest book.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="memb"]

Give me Jamie Oliver any night of the week, a truly nice talented lad.  

[/quote]

Essex boy done good.

I hadn't realised till now that Nigella was a cook but one lives and learns.

There are far too many progs about cooks and cooking with very few ways to make a prog "different" - and let's face it most only exist as a vehicle to sell the latest book.

John

not

[/quote]

If the public did'nt watch cookery programmes they just would'nt make them, they must get good viewing figures for them to be on as much.    Ramsay mellowed somewhat when he got the backlash from his initial intro to telly - can you remember when he hit the young trainee chef with the skillet/saucepan/whatever?     Now the young trainee chef had every right to swear and pick the skillet up and wedge it in Ramsay's mouth before walking off the job.     He just swears for swearing sake lots of the time, and its not necessary.     Can you imagine the weather forecast after watershed time......"well, its f-in rained all day, and sadly it will last into the f-in night.  Tomorrow will turn f-in cold and in the evening there's a chance of f-in icy roads".     Just does'nt sound right, does it?[:'(]

.........I like Jamie but he seems to have re-invented himself recently as a gardener and I don't think that works, the poor lackey who really does all the hard work in the garden always looks quite depressed!LOL

Because this new show of Jamie's is Jamie at Home, he's showing his herb garden and tells us what herb goes best in whatever.      I agree though, his gardener could do with an injection of personality.      

[quote user="Gemonimo"]I quite agree - Jamie Oliver is by far the best and one of the few tele chefs who really respect the ingredients they use. My most unfavourite cooking program is Ready Steady Cook. I believe the format was tried in France but bombed out.[/quote]

Seems there's quite a few Jamie fans on here!   By the way does anyone know if they caught the morons who robbed his parents? Jamie put up a good reward.    We both like Masterchef as well.     I like to watch Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall prog's but his recipe book is my most unfavourite.     Also like the style of Rachel Allen.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]I quite agree - Jamie Oliver is by far the best and one of the few tele chefs who really respect the ingredients they use. My most unfavourite cooking program is Ready Steady Cook. I believe the format was tried in France but bombed out.[/quote]

I like Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein (still have his first book when he still called himself Richard) and dear old Keith Floyd.

I cooked Jamie's kebab recipe today (the one he showed on Thursday) but substituted my chums organic sausage meat for the lamb - it was absolutely brilliant.  I really like the grow it/cook it programmes (one of the reasons we moved here) and despite his gardener's lack of zip, don't we all have days like that?  And could it be he just doesn't like being on the tele.

The good thing is he's a proper gardener, not a plant it for one season, what's the latest fad type but a good, old fashioned, Victorian kitchen gardener/potager gardener - more please.

I agree Jamie is a good chef and does great recipes ... but I always find myself wishing that he would have a wash and do something with his hair!!  I think that chefs should always look clean and tidy and well presented, with no risk of finding a stray hair in the soup!!  Am I the only one that thinks that, in the Sainsbury's ads, Jamies looks as if he needs a good bath?  Puts me off a bit ...

" I really like the grow it/cook it programmes (one of the reasons we moved here) and despite his gardener's lack of zip, don't we all have days like that?  And could it be he just doesn't like being on the tele.

The good thing is he's a proper gardener, not a plant it for one season, what's the latest fad type but a good, old fashioned, Victorian kitchen gardener/potager gardener - more please."

Tony

I think I heard that the doleful gardener on the Jamie's at home prog has since left his employment.

I have to say that I don't always find Gordon Ramsay a good 'watch' but I recently read his biography, I bought it in Oxfam with intention of giving it to my mother to read (she only reads non fiction !).

The story was inspiring in so far as he certainly had a tough time as a child and in his youth, however the language was such that I gave the book to a younger, more broad minded adult, and by passed my 87 year old mother..........

Give me Rick Stein or Raymond Blanc...........

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I have to say that I don't always find Gordon Ramsay a good 'watch' but I recently read his biography, I bought it in Oxfam with intention of giving it to my mother to read (she only reads non fiction !).

The story was inspiring in so far as he certainly had a tough time as a child and in his youth, however the language was such that I gave the book to a younger, more broad minded adult, and by passed my 87 year old mother..........

Give me Rick Stein or Raymond Blanc...........

[/quote]

A good idea I think!   We were at Canal du Midi last summer exactly at one of the stops Rick Stein did, magical.      Did anyone hear G.Ramsay badmouth M.Blanc last night?  I only know because its been mentioned on an e.mail to me today.   I also liked his recent show where he gave couples the chance to prove themselves worthy of owning a restaurant with him.

I did - he basically said he couldn't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay £2,000 a time to go on one of his cookery courses but to pay that much each to go on four, as his guest did, he thought was totally barmy!  Basically didn't seem to have a high opinion of old Raymond!

[quote user="Scooby"]I did - he basically said he couldn't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay £2,000 a time to go on one of his cookery courses but to pay that much each to go on four, as his guest did, he thought was totally barmy!  Basically didn't seem to have a high opinion of old Raymond!
[/quote]

Would'nt do for us all to be the same, like the same food, people etc, Gordon Ramsay (i.m.o.) would gain a bigger audience if he calmed the foul language.     Is it necessary on a cookery programme?     Ok, ok, a slip here and there, but its constant and just not necessary and must put a lot of people off watching his programmes.

I taped the programme last night and haven't watched it yet.

I am getting tired of his constant swearing too, and did noticed that he hardly used any swear word in the "Kitchen Nightmare" show based in an Indian restaurant a few weeks ago, which clearly demonstrates he can watch his language when he wants/has to!

I do like watching his programmes in general though., but he is turning himself into an entertainer, unlike Jamie, who chooses to be a preacher...

I gave the last Nigella series a miss and I did the same for the "Jamie at home in the garden" last year and this week too... Seen one, seen them all... (yawn)

http://www.orient-express.com/web/olem/olem_c5c_courses.jsp

I guess the person went on the 4 day courses ?

My sister got married at Le Manoir in 2006, she had shopped around the area for somewhere suitable and found that Le Manoir was the best value. ( At one place, only £5 per head cheaper the look was so shabby she actually asked if they planned on redecorating)

Everything was just perfect, banish any thought of usual function catering, the food and service were outstanding. The gardens, which you are free to wander around are worth a visit on their own - my bet is that those courses are really good value.

I like Jamie Olivers ideas but the constant feeling he should comb his hair drives me nuts..........

I used to like Mareille (sp) Johnson, but after two series we saw no more of her.