Clinton -v- Obama on Super Tuesday

Kitty

Don't know, but it can wait till the morning eh?

May I ask though, how does the system work?  Do you have to be a paid-up member of the Democratic party in order to vote, or can anybody just turn up?   Surely it can't be the latter, yet I see film of canvassers at the subway exits in NY.

No problem, Gardian.  I've managed to find a BBC site and it looks as if the polls close from midnight GMT to 4am GMT, depending on the state, so I'll have to wait until the morning, anyway.

I'm intrigued about this particular contest.  Mainly because I'm interested in whether the US will vote for a woman.

If the BBC etc started  broadcasting the Labour, Tories and Lib Dems candidate selection processes, given that the chosen candidate may not even be chosen as the MP when the election occurs,  do you think the Americans would be interested?

No?  So why do the BBC ITV SKY etc think anyone in the rest of the world cares a toss at this time who the candidates for the nominations for being elected as US President are?

Strikes me that its only the journalists flown out to the USA to cover these inconsequential shindigs that are really bothered, the rest of us could not care less and by November will be bored senseless.  Worrying isn't that after all these primaries, votes, conventions, selections etc that the USA ended up with a dimwit like George W Bush

I think that what bothers me most is that despite massive coverage, I still have no idea what the candidates policies are. Obama is for change, but what change ? We just seem to be told over and over again that Obama is black and Clinton is a woman. So what ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"] We just seem to be told over and over again that Obama is black and Clinton is a woman. 

[/quote]

That's in case you haven't noticed. [:)]

The Dems seem to have painted themeselves into a corner in that both their likely winners could be unacceptable to a large proportion of the voters - not just the 20% or so who do not blindly follow the party line - thus handing the winner's rosette to someone even older than Ronnie.

John

not

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

No?  So why do the BBC ITV SKY etc think anyone in the rest of the world cares a toss at this time who the candidates for the nominations for being elected as US President are?

[/quote]

Here, here, Ron. I couldn't agree more.

I really don't understsand how the system works.  Do you have to be a member of the Democrat party in order to vote on your Democrat candidate, or is it an open election and any registered voter can vote for the candidates?

Silly question perhaps, but it's never been explained to me!  Please can someone enlighten me?  thanks.

Thanks, Cooperlola, but it still doesn't explain who can vote!!  Also, I rarely trust Wikipedia since anyone can alter the information..... just for mischief one day I changed the entry for Cherie Blair to read that she was aged 193 and was born on Mars.  It was three days before anyone noticed and changed the entry back ....

[quote user="nectarine"]...  It was three days before anyone noticed and changed the entry back ....[/quote]

That's probably because there are so many other people changing things 'just for mischief'.  Perhaps if there weren't, someone would have time to add the information you seek?

[quote user="Hoddy"]

I think that what bothers me most is that despite massive coverage, I still have no idea what the candidates policies are. Obama is for change, but what change ? We just seem to be told over and over again that Obama is black and Clinton is a woman. So what ?

Hoddy

[/quote]

Interesting you say that. Neither am I. Nor anyone else I know. As you say one is for "change" and the other for "experience" and also "change." All completely baffling. Perhaps there are some policies there, but its difficult to tell due to all the froth.

And I suspect that all the froth is mostly there in an attempt to convince the world at large that the US is a democracy. Not just any old democracy, mind, but THE democracy. A democracy where the highest office in the land is open to absolutely anyone who can raise quarter of a billion bucks.

It seems a weird and flawed process but there is actually democracy at work in the American primaries - more than we have in the UK (by what exact democratic process did Gordon Brown become PM?). The elections in ancient Athens and Rome also were mired by money and tricks so nothing new.