Tax declaration

whistleway

He may not pay French tax on it for various reasons, one of which I outlined;  that is that it may fall into the 0% tax band if that is all he has as income.

However if he doesn't pay it won't be because it is classed as a social payment. It is classed as income.

The advice given by the particular  person that your father saw depends largely on what he had been told and the level of language ability of both of them.

Advice is only as good as the accuracy of the information it is based on.

Sh1t in = Sh1t out.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"]Well you clearly know more about this than the French tax man. The proof will be when my dad gets his tax bill but he was defiantly told he won't be paying tax on his UK state OAP because it is classed as a social payment.

If it were me I would go see the French tax man and see what he says about what to put in what box.[/quote]

Defiantly told, definitely told, whatever......BUT I can tell you that it is taxable in France.  Have lived here 10 years, have always declared it and have always been taxed on it.

Please do not lead people astray[I]

Judith, my understanding is the same as yours.

UK (and other EU country) OAP go into Am1

company pensions equally go into AM1

both are declared as private pensions on 2047K.

Government pensions (armed forces, some NHS, most teaching etc.) appear on AL1 declared as a public pension on 2047K

Sue - is this any help below? I got it from a well know publication. I've read the red & blue 'how to' that arrived with the forms and read it as all company, private and OAP pensions are lumped together in 1AM/1BM so that's what I've done. Mrs KG

From the publication:

UK government pension income

There is a new box in section 1 of the main 2042 form, for pensions from abroad that attract tax credits including government pensions. in other words to make sure that if you insert these pensions on the main 2042 form there is no confusion between foreign ‘tax credit’ pensions and other pensions.

After declaring these on the 2047 form as usual the appropriate box on the 2042 is now 1AL/1BL (not 1AS/1BS as for French pensions).

Other UK pensions

Other UK pensions, assessable in France, are declared in a new foreign pension box on the 2042 (after declaring on the 2047 foreign income form) at boxes 1AM/1BM (not 1AS/1BS).

NOTE: Page 1 of the 2047 asks you to cross boxes to say if pensions are public and/or private. Tick public if your foreign pension income includes government (‘tax credit’) income. If you have other kinds (eg. a state old age pension) tick privé (tick both if appropriate). Total up the foreign pension income in the Revenu en € column.

Thanks everyone,

Once I've got my Saturday brain working, I think that all makes sense now - everything but govt pensions (these are - central and local govt service) are separated out on 2042 to 1AL, 1BL, and all other pensions no matter the source (OAP, private, company, non-govt) ..go in 1AM, 1BM.

They are all "lumped" together in 2047 as before.

So will have to recalculate some sums and re-do.

I am very confused about where you declare UK bank interest on both forms.  Form 2047 seems simple until it asks for the "taux" applicable, which I do not understand.

After filling in form 2047 using 0 for "taux" applicable I then cannot see where to put this UK bank interest on the 2042 form as the 2047 is confusing as to which 2042 box to put it in, and the form 2042 does not help.

Hopefully,

David

David - UK interest goes into box 2TR on 2042 form.

Also, can I say a big thank you to all you clever people out there for your assistance with my first on-line declaration. After reading through this thread a few times I finally ironed out all the answers and niggles !!! Cheers folks...

So, Nell, was there not a box to tick on 2047 for bank interest? Last year I wrote in my notes that we needed three ticks to open the correct boxes on 2047. We are fine with the two for pensions, but can't find the one for bank interest. ?

[quote user="Blodwyn"]OH has a teacher's pension. When his state pension kicked in, the UK tax office revised his tax code, and reduced it. I assumed that meant that he is paying UK tax on the state pension.[/quote]

That is why he should fill in

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452999/france-individual.pdf

as the OAP is taxable in France, and should be declared as explained, but that form means it will no longer be taxed in the UK, so you can avoid double taxation

Well, thanks to all you good people I thought I had it all sussed on paper only to fall at the first hurdle.

When signing in I managed the fiscal number and the access number, but I could not fill in the third box.

They ask for "saissez le montant figurant sur votre dernier avis d'impot sur le revenue" but I have no idea what number they are referring to.  I am sure it is very simple but I would be grateful for advice please.  This is my first time declaring online.

David

Gardian wrote the following post at 08/05/2017 12:58:

"It'll be the 'RFR' number which is printed on your last Assessment (2016 for 2015 income)."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much, especially for replying so quickly as I was panicking a bit.  I found several RFR numbers but I finally found one that the site accepted.

I had intended just to register and then make the declaration at leisure but once in I could not find a way out, so I had to complete the declaration!

Anyway, it seems to be done now, and much relief.  Only the UK bank accounts to declare now.

Although I was worried about declaring online, I persevered and now wish that I had done this sooner as my tax bill on the simulator was drastically reduced as opposed to submitting the declaration by paper, and this was confirmed when I had completed the online declaration.

I now wonder if it might be possible to appeal previous years tax on the basis of this years simulator?  That is enter previous years data into the simulator and see what the result is?

Thanks very much to everybody who posted helpful advice, and I can confirm that the advice has worked for me.

David

DAvid,

It is actually quite possible to go back in a re-do it, I have now done that 3 (yes, three) times, thanks to everyone on here who set me straight too.

You do have to go through each screen each time, even if there are not changes but until the deadline date you can change it.

As per previous post, many thanks all - now done, correctly.

For future reference, can anyone tell me what I should say in French for government pensions, those that are exempt from tax.  I said pension d'état - is that right??

Thanks.

My friend puts 'pension de vieillesse' so that might work for an old age taxable-in-France state pension.

But as Tinabee says it is completely wrong for a government taken-into-account-but not-taxable-in-France pension such as a teaching pension.

Edited : That'll teach me to totally misread a post - thanks to Tinabee for bringing clarity and sanity with her reply.

Sue

[quote user="Judith"]As per previous post, many thanks all - now done, correctly.

For future reference, can anyone tell me what I should say in French for government pensions, those that are exempt from tax.  I said pension d'état - is that right??

Thanks.

[/quote]

Hi, it will depend on the source of the pension, e.g. teacher, civil service, fire, police, military etc. So for example fire brigade would be "pension pompier", civil service "pension service publique" etc. Pension d'etat may be interpreted as OAP which IS taxable in France.