Sharon Osborne...Good role model???

Carolski

Raindog...there was a little more to the story of Peter Green than being shy...yes he was.

He was...as I see it ...a little finer[as a guitarist]than Eric Clapton.

Did any of you go to The    Marquee in Wardour street London?
Long John Baldry.The Move......Ten Years After.....of course...... and Skye Wine.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="jon"]

Did any of you go to The    Marquee in Wardour street London?

Long John Baldry.The Move......Ten Years After.....of course...... and Skye Wine.

[/quote]

Jon, I hope you've been following the 3 part series on the beeb on Alexis Korner? The whole roots thing of British Blues told by Chris Jagger (Mick's bro) You can get it on their 'listen again' system.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

I found the Ollie Read clip really sad.  Yes, I can laugh a people being drunk on television and, I think it sends the right messages to my kids who cringe at this sort of behaviour.  However, producers were known for getting Ollie, who suffered from alcoholism drunk in his dressing room purely for the entertainment factor and, for that reason, I consider them a disgrace.

[/quote]

ah!Katie...............................so it's called 'suffering' eh[geek]

Yes, the truth is that it is sad...............but it shows the real world, that there are those who are only too ready to exploit others weaknesses[:(] why did you not think that the 'serge' clip was sad.........is it because he's French, and as Gluestick said "Ollie was a decent guy" , perhaps a 'british institution'. and as you said, it's a good example to show your children! People often make 'value judgements' as is so often seen on forums like this, Mrs Osbourne for instance, is over the top and crass..................where as, poor old 'ollie' is just a decent guy who had a problem and was exploited. Value judgements are based on a persons moral, religious, political and personal preferences (to name just a few) and at the end of the day, instances like Oliver Reed just show that no matter how high you rise in society, there is still the risk that you can 'hit rock bottom'. There is definately some 'male orientated' value judgements on this post............as mentioned already, OK for men to make fools of themselves, but not women.............for men it's the 'angel or whore' but not the two together! debate. Mrs Osbourne can do what she likes as far as I,m concerned............she's lucky enough to have the money to cushion such behaviour. Showbusiness has often shown that there are people who can't stand the pressure of 'being under the microscope'...........look at Heath Ledger! And as has been said on another post here to someone who was having problems with the responses.........'If you can't stand the heat......' ,this applies to all walks of life, but unfortunately, for many that is too difficult, for whatever reason, vanity, greed, self interest etc Sorry to put something serious onto a forum that was starting to be 'witty', but just some observations...........

Trouble is, there are many brilliant guitarists around who fail to enjoy the lucky break that catapults them into the mega-millions.

As an example, there is my old friend, Robin (Rob) Trower.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R5Yh4HY9k&feature=related

Rob first played with a local (Essex) R & B band called The Paramounts. The pianist/organist being one Gary Brooker (who went to my school).

When Rob joined Procul Harum, Whiter Shade of Pale had already been cut. Like so many bands in those days, they formed, split, joined other bands and etc. Gary phoned Rob two days before PH were due to appear on Top of the Pops and asked Rob to stand in! Since they were all miming anyway................

In the early 70s, Rob used to bring his E Type Jag to my garage for servicing and tuning and at that time, one evening, he explained how he was far bigger in the States as a session man and A & R whiz than he was in the UK.

A couple of years ago I went to a gig, locally, where Gary Brooker had returned to his roots with his then new touring band, No High Heels Shoes (There's a story to that one!), with Andy Fairweather-Lowe (Amen Corner) and others. Andy is yet another brilliant musician and guitarist.

Personally, after Clapton left Cream, I have never rated him particularly: his style is totally limited since he uses a pick, only. Not a shadow on Knopfler!

Or even Tommy Emmanuel.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU&feature=related

[quote user="jon"]Gluestick do you play blues or.......you are never to old to enjoy music....and necver too young either.[/quote]

Blues, blues?

I grew up on it!

Big Bill Broonzy was my first inspiration.

And after that, real rock riffs. And John Lee of course!

And after that, soft jazz since Barny Kessel et al were also inspirational masters of subtle 12ths, 13ths and inside shapes!

[quote user="Hoddy"]"Mrs Osbourne can do what she likes as far as I,m concerned.." Of course she can. If she does it on TV however, one way or another we're paying for it and I think that gives us the right to have an opinion. Hoddy[/quote]

yea, but I don,t........................pay for it that is..............................or are you paying just to have an opinion![:-))]

There are subtle but critical differneces in Ollie Reed and Ms Osborne, Artsole.

Reed's extraordinary and probable anti-social behaviour was a by-product of his illness. He didn't exploit this for his benefit: it was after all, very much to his professional and familial detriment. And he had talent; lots of it.

Ms Osborne, on the other hand is clearly, like her father, a manipulator, for her exclusive benefit. Who, in their right mind would really wish to expose the social, mental and behavioural inadequacies of their family to full public view for money?

Ms Osborne was also fortunate enough (or probably manipulative enough) to position herself next to the objectionable Mr Cowell and thus ensure that with no real talent other than a motormouth, she could add yet more millions to her bank account.

Anyone with a reasonable ear and love of music must find the stream of  mainly tonedeaf young hopefuls that Ms Osborne at al champion as putative megastars, grate. That said and of course, the manipulators know that since the current pop music scene is a totally contrived false industry, where the post-recording sound processing electronically perfects bum notes, they can still saturation sell their inferior products to an evermore idiot market!

Which has the byproduct of making it very hard if not impossible for those with real talent to succeed.

Perhaps the singular difference between the Olliver Reed days and now, is that TV will not refrain from stooping to the lowest human depths of behavioural psychosis to earn a few more bucks: Big Brother representing this core reality rather excellently.

Ollie's problems were incidental to and not a core part of his abilities and image.

Unfortunately, the ever impressionable young, tend to copy their transitory heroes and heroines and now seem to believe that unnacceptable behaviour and language is normal.

These so called "personalities" continue to make money because enough people watch them and like them.  The producers of these programmes are not fools and you can bet that if audience figures drop off because the presenter is universally disliked, then the advertisers will very quickly withdraw their support and next year they'll find somebody else who is "acceptable" to the target audience then.

As said above, and by artsole, I can't help but think that sexism is rearing its ugly head here.  Ms Osborne may not have any talent that we perceive, but somebody thinks she has, or she would not be where she is today.  Personally, I don't mind what others perceive as foul language, but I honestly believe that the reason why it appeared to have been more acceptable in Ollie Reed than Ms O is that he was a bloke.  As to his drunken-ness on air - "pathetic" was the word which sprung to mind at the time, and anyway, I myself hate embarassing telly and switch it off (am I the only one who could not bear programmes like the old "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em which totally rely on the so called "hero" ending up in embrassing situations?) - it just makes me cringe.  But it's obvious that it appealed to millions of others.

If you don't like it - switch off. Viewing figures are the only thing which keep Ms O's "career" alive.

Ultimately, maybe many on this forum don't like Ms O because we are, in the main, - dare I say it - a bunch of old f*rts![Www]

Sharon Osbourne is the complete opposite of many of you here. She is very attractive, charismatic, exciting, very wealthy and successful and is admired by millions, and she loves dogs. I bet all of you that have made those derogatory remarks about her here really resent her for all these reasons and are maybe a little jealous too? I have seen some very ugly people on this thread[:@]

[quote user="cooperlola"]OK Furry, a bunch of jealous, ugly old f*rts then![/quote]

Dear Lola, (Sharon has a dog called Lola) I never meant ugly in the physical sense, I know there are some very beautiful members of the forum that are not only beautiful outside, but are also beautiful on the inside, and perhaps that is where we should all be at our most beautiful.

Well gluestick as you came from Essex.....and I came from East London.The Small Faces/The Proof..My best friend in those days was very  romantically involved with Peter Green for several years..... in those days ...[she lived in East Ham].The group which I managed came from Putney, Stratford.E.15 and the other two were from outside London somwhere.They were good.

Me.....I neither read music or play it...usedto dance to it.

As you know Jon is female...in the real sense of the word! However my other half is a John  and plays guitar rather well.Plays Flamenco, modern jazz/funk......

Glue stick may be Colin or Carol......your not the easiest bunch.

Saw Peter play a few years ago in Shepherds Bush London......an incredably sad experience it was.

Eric Clapton sold his sole after Cream.Jack Bruce wrote some very good songs.

Remember Beautiful Day anyone...or Esperanto?

Edwin Starr was my next door neighbour for many years back in the Midlands. He was a lovely man and was one of the best neighbours anyone could want. We often sat up into the early hours singing Irish rebel songs and exchanged ideas for songs and he recorded 2 of my own in his studio. He has passed away now[:(]