Sharon Osborne...Good role model???

Carolski

After seeing Sharon Osborne presenting (if you could possibly call it that) the Brits last night, I was appalled by her total disregard for any form of acceptable behaviour. Her language was disgusting ( and I am by no means a prude) let alone her aggressive outbursts. Should we be allowing this sort of behaviour to prevail in a culture that seems to have lost so much when it comes to general manners and where sadly this sort of outburst has become the norm. It begs the question..would this sort of language and behaviour be accepted on French TV? Whether we like it or not she is a role model for so many young people; should there not be a standard set? or do we ignore such behaviour at our peril? I would like to think that Sharon would feel ashamed in the cold light of the following day and could find it in her to apologise..lets hope so!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid she is just one of those people - Janet Street-Porter is another - who cannot age gracefully and has to display what she regards as 'yoof-appeal'. Certainly such people are in a minority and mostly despised; Sharon's daughter did not appear to be very impressed with her mother, and I can't imagine any other young person regarding her as anything other than a figure of fun. An attitude is understandable - almost appealing even - in somebody like Kate Nash or Lily Allen, but not in somebody old enough to be their parent. Yet Lily's dad - like Sharon's husband - is a well-known hell-raiser, but they manage to be rebel-oldies in a rather less cringeworthy manner.

Still, it didn't get anywhere near the nadir of embarassment of the Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwod Brits presentation from a few years ago. Unfortunately there was no repeat of the water attack on John Prescott, or Jarvis Cocker making it plain what he thought of Michael Jackson, but a hurried commercial break was begun when one of the Arctic Monkeys' acceptance speeches started to say something uncomplimentary about the Brits Academy.

I wonder what she said when they fuzzed the sound? Even Kelly looked shocked!

Nonetheless I think the person who made the biggest fool of themselves was Vic Reeves who is old enough to know better than to get ratted before presenting an award.

I thought Sharon was a role model for middle aged ladies, not youngsters!

I laughed at her comment re the Artic Monkeys 'what did they come as?' and thought she was right to shoo Vic Reeves off stage, but on the other hand I thought the whole thing was pretty dire and probably the only way to improve it is probably to lessen or do away with the alchohol content, or pre record it. As a live show, its pants IMHO

As for Amy Winehouse, yes great singer, but why does she hop up and down and hold her skirt as if she's a toddler wanting the toilet, rather urgently ?

Showing my age [:$][:$]

I had seen that some time ago...but even though his behaviour was a tad inappropriate he was not the presenter of the show. I do think that there is a difference and that Sharon was in a position where she should have been way more professional Obviously one can never be 100% sure how artists are going to behave on a live TV show; Serge Gainsburg's behaviour being a classic example.

On the odd occasion that I have had the total misfortune to perceive Ms Osborne on the box (normally when Mrs GS is watching some sentetious rubbish!) I have recoiled from her grating voice and synthetic appearance.

One gathers that after she used to appear on a prog with her brain-fuddled idiot spouse, she somehow found additional fame and fortune as a presenter and "Celeb" in her own right.

This morning (Mrs GS again!) early TV was awash with presenters who ought to have grown up by now - faint hope! - extolling the virtues of overpaid tone deaf adolescents, fresh out of detox or their local nuthouse strutting their stuff; their language seems to consist of endless superlatives such as "Fantastic" "Superb" , "Stunning" et al, as they eulogised, breathlessly about their heroes.

I think I now need a quick burst of Vidor's Tocata or similar to refresh my fevered braincells!

And, whilst it's playing, I'll ponder on my own heroes of yesteryear, such as Hawthorn, Moss, Collins, Fangio, Hillary, Hunt, Reg Harris, Len Hutton and Tony Rolt who only passed away very recently.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Why is swearing acceptable in a man of a certain age, but less so in a woman? 

[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's necessarily acceptable, but a question of the persona, and the image. You expect bad behaviour from people like Ozzie Osbourne or Keith Allen, but Sharon's performance yesterday evening came across as being as artificial as her surgically and cosmetically-assisted (I can't say enhanced) appearance. I think you have to have seen it to know whether I'm making sense or not. Some women get away with it, certainly. And with some men it's just artificial laddism.

Artsole, thanks for the link. It just shows that however bad British telly may get on occasion, then somewhere in mainland Europe can be relied on to sink even lower.

Carolski and all the rest of you (except the Sticky One) - why were not watching Grand Designs on the other chanel? A programme with a presenter who (like Kirsty and Phil) has class and charm.

I suspect that you were hanging on for Grand Old British Institution Sir Paul McC.

(Why does he dye his hair?) 

Hmm.  I freely admit, I was watching a recording of the NASCAR shootout at Daytona...  Wouldn't actually know Ms Osborne if I fell over her.

Personally, Renaud, I have no idea why anybody dyes their hair, particularly a bloke whom everybody already knows is approaching his sell-by date!

[quote user="Renaud"]

I suspect that you were hanging on for Grand Old British Institution Sir Paul McC.

[/quote]

Don't worry, I had turned over by the time he came on.

And, like Gluestick, I'll get into trouble with a certain lovely person for saying so, but class and charm are not epithets that normally appear in the same sentence as estate agents. [:D]

Unless it was your first time (or you have a one room house and your other half insists) - isn't watching the Brits and then complaining it was full of foul-mouthed-show-offs-the-worse-for-drink a bit like watching Grand Designs and complaining it was full of houses?

Why don't they cancel channels 2,3,4,5 et al and reinstate that nice man in the dinner jacket who obviously went to a jolly decent school, and he can read out salient newsworthy items between passages of Brahms (or Elgar for a more patriotic feel). All rounded off by God Save the Queen?

Personally I shall be sticking to reading Greek and Latin classics, bracing cold showers and giving myself a bloody good talking to.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Yup, Gluey, in general I prefer the sound of a nice 'Vette in the mornings!

JE

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, JE.

BTW on Utube there is a wondrous clip of the 1950s BRM on full chat!

Cor! Now that's a sound!

Or a Lola T70 Spyder in CanAm tune with a big block Chevvy!

[:D]

Ian, in a year when I think its fair to say that reasonable talent has raised its head above the parapet, would it be too much to expect the show to actually improve?

Whats clever or cool about being drunk on stage? In one guest presenters case, too drunk to even remember what he was doing when he got there.And he was certainly old enough to know better.

[quote user="Ian"]Unless it was your first time (or you have a one room house and your other half insists) - isn't watching the Brits and then complaining it was full of foul-mouthed-show-offs-the-worse-for-drink a bit like watching Grand Designs and complaining it was full of houses?

Why don't they cancel channels 2,3,4,5 et al and reinstate that nice man in the dinner jacket who obviously went to a jolly decent school, and he can read out salient newsworthy items between passages of Brahms (or Elgar for a more patriotic feel). All rounded off by God Save the Queen?

Personally I shall be sticking to reading Greek and Latin classics, bracing cold showers and giving myself a bloody good talking to.
[/quote]

Surely, Ian, you must accept that british TV and radio is a wall-to-wall exercise in self-adulation?

Most TV even ostensibly "Serious" news skims over pretty critical stuff and focuses on the doings of coke heads and Celebdom: and of course, the all important bladder bashing!

Most "Chat" programmes have endless items about soap operas; adult people discuss the plots: what happened last week; who is appearing in what!

In the main, it's mindless drivel!

There are real musicians about, in all disciplines: there are singers who can sing: and there is the odd programme worth watching.

However, these are in the minority.

I play a pretty mean 1960s era lead guitar: I enjoy a pretty catholic taste in music, from good rock and some C & W, folk, Jazz, Swing and of course, serious music too.

I grew up on live music: not canned synthosound and underdressed overpaid bimbos miming.

My feathers come up when I hear a bunch of tone deaf pimply kids who spend more time jigging around as if they suffer from St Vitus Dance than singing and without even a comb and tissue between them, call themselves "A Band"!

A young friend of mine (his parents are our family friends) is fast building an excellent rep as a sound engineer and has now worked with some leading acts.

He's the one that should be getting all the awards! Without him the acts would sound dreadful.

I like your prescriptor for self-improvement, BTW. Jolly good show!

[quote user="cooperlola"]So, come on Gluey, give me a link, there's a good chap....[/quote]

OK: There goes another evening! [;-)]

BRM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8qPlOKB0I&feature=related

Pre-War Auto Union

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hvTggX3ADlY&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=myxMudtFX6g&feature=related

Mercedes W125 GP Car.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZwGa50eqM

and of course, the all important bladder bashing!

Grief! They have morris dancing on too?? [geek]

It sounds like I missed a good show. Mind you, I have only French TV (supplimented by the odd DVD), so my standards are pretty low. But you do see presenters wearing some jolly nice blazers on TF1, France 2, et al, so perhaps things aren't too bad.

Bad behavior on TV: is the medium a mirror held up to society or is the converse true? Who is apeing whom? Should "apeing" have that "e" in it? It looks OK to me but I have had a long celebratory lunch. Long enough that even Shazza Osborne could start to look alluring. Too long, in other words. I'd better go and lay down.

Surely, if TV mirrors society: and then TV goes on to applaud, euologise and even encourage that sort of behaviour, then the behaviour will worsen?

Never mind RRE: you can probably get someone in the UK to send you a DVD of the gorgeous, stunningly attractive Jade Goody teaching viewers Sarf Lunnon culture on Big Bruvver....................................................