Ambulance chasers

Gemonimo

A week ago my mother aged 88 took a tumble down some badly maintained steps in a public place and ended up in hospital with a broken elbow, multiple contusions and shock. No sooner was she back in her flat with brilliant care set up by the hospital than she received a telephone call from a very agressive person offering to take her case if she would like to sue the owner of the building where she had fallen.

Luckily me daughter took the call and told them in no uncertain terms to take a walk. No sooner had they hung up than they called my sister (my mothers carer) and tried it on again. They were given the same response as my daughter.

Is this agressive cold calling normal? Where did they get my mother and sisters phone numbers from? If it is becoming the norm, is this sort of practice legal?

What upset my family most of all is that my mothers accident happened as she came out of a church hall, not some public building in bad repair and it would never cross their minds to sue the church. Jen

[quote user="Benjamin"]............or a tip off from a hospital employee.  [Www]

[/quote]

...and they get a percetage? I'd like to think Cat is right and that it's in the public domaine via the local rag.

Edit. I'm using Safari and the quotes and smileys don't sork. Sorry!

My local hospital in England had the reception refurbished, part of my dear Tonys NHS reforms which in practice could have been done by a TV makeover team, I digress!

They got rid of the WRVS run newspaper shop and tea room in order to make retail premises which would in theory do what the volonteers did but pay rent to the hospital. Unfortunately the rent demanded excluded such niceties and instead a firm of ambulance chasers set up shop there, they dont even have to chase them now as they are also right beside the ambulance drop off point.

So for a few thousand pounds a year in rent to the hospital this firm has an unending flow of "victims" to pounce on and "manages" claims costing the NHS god only knows how much.

You couldnt make it up could you[blink]?

JR yours is not the only hospital to have these companies on their premises ...we have a huge teaching hospital with one just inside the front entrance advertising their services ....For a patient to go in and ask  for legal advice ..well I suppose thats OK and  they could get the same advice in their local high street. and they present themselves for the advice ....For a patient to get called   " at home "  from a stranger who has knowledge of their injuries...phone number and possibly their name and address .. and next of kin .....thats out of order ....I would be steaming if I thought my medical records were on show to people outside the medical profession  who had a commercial interest in trawling through them .... .... I know contacts between morturies and funeral directors  have been made in the past where a financial interest may be present ......I think that is also  a fast way out the door for staff nowadays if there  is shown to be an association .

Thanks for your interest and opinions. I don't know whether my sister will pursue this in any way and my mother certainly isn't in any state to do so. They are just very saddened that people actually behave like this.

I don't think this situation is unique to an anglo saxon culture. When my house burnt to the ground during the night, by eight the following morning I was greeted by a group of 'experts' from different companies hovering around the ruins which were still warm and smoking, all offering to handle my claim.

Geronimo - I'm going to play devils advocate slightly and say that if you mother is going to have problems because of this fall  or others are going to be to be put to extra trouble etc in caring for her perhaps she should consider going for compensation,(if appropriate) the Church is almost certainly insured.

My father in law fell over and broke his hip years ago, due to a raised paving stone. It looks months for him to regain proper mobility and over 2 years for the council to pay, I think it was something like £6000. It was dealt with through our normal solicitor.

I'm inclinded to agree with you Russethouse simply because in the space of an afternoon my mother has gone from being a healthy 88yr old (albeit with memory problems) living independently, she is now dependent, in pain no longer very mobile and requires care.

I asked my sister if she would think differently if mother had slipped on a wet patch in T**cos and she said yes so she's not against the principle - just who they'd have to sue.

My father in law lived with us at the time of the accident, so my sympathy is with your sister.

Would it be worth at least finding out if the Church has public liability insurance and making discreet enquiries ?

Is your sister worried that her relationship with other churchgoers will be effected in some way perhaps ?

BTW Our solicitor told us to take a coin and go and photograph the offending slab with the coin stood next to it for scale, as he had known the council to tarmac the offending areas when they got wind of the court case.

Hope your mother feels better soon.

Thanks for the idea of photographing the offending steps but it might have to wait until I get over to the UK next week. It must have been very difficult for you when your father in law fell and I hope he has completely recovered. Caring for elderly relatives is not that easy when they are one hundred per cent fit; when they are ill, bed ridden or in pain the stress is magnified. For all those carers out there - bravo.

Any building open to the public, even sporadically must have Public Liability Indemnity, or they are mad!

It normally covers those responsible in the event of accident, such as in a parish church, the PCC (Parochial Church Council).

Our church does and particularly for the church hall as it is hired out for a variety of non-church activities.

Essential.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Thanks for the idea of photographing the offending steps but it might have to wait until I get over to the UK next week. It must have been very difficult for you when your father in law fell and I hope he has completely recovered. Caring for elderly relatives is not that easy when they are one hundred per cent fit; when they are ill, bed ridden or in pain the stress is magnified. For all those carers out there - bravo.[/quote]

Thanks for the good wishes but it was some time ago now and my father in law passed away 10 years ago. However it is etched on my memory.

Sadly my father in law had emphysema so couldn't have an operation and just had to wait for the hip to heal, never the less he went on to live a good few more years