Am I alone with this pain?

Bugsy

My arthritis is really playing up these last few weeks. I'm struggling around like a flippin' zombie and swallowing pain-killers like the're going out of fashion, but with only limited results.

Any fellow sufferers have any magic remedies I could try........................

Arh, The joys of getting old, [:)][:)]

Bring on the sunshine.......................

Sorry I have no cure either although I do suffer with scoliosis brought about by a damaged sacro-iliac nerve and how I have chosen to walk to compensate for this.

Massage and physio help as does a drier climate. It is generally much worse just before my period is due.

Gary

This may sound daft but try gentle exercise, walking , stetching etc as much or as little as you can manage. This will move the joints which will only get worse through inactivity and lubricate the muscles. Remember to do a gentle warm up before doing anything, just walking on the spot helps and then warm down after.  Have you tried a daily cod liver oil pill, works wonders for my sport worn out knees.

Everything mentioned works for me at times - but none all the time. I'm going through a very bad patch just now with my back; the best thing just now seems to be placing my 'grain' cushion, heated in the microwave, and just sitting. All movements using arms eg peeling/chopping veg etc hurt like mad, so I'm doing as little as possible. I do find when the pain moderates a bit that walking helps, but on grass, not pavements!

Hope the pain has eased a bit.

Jo

Thank you to all who have made suggestions .

I've had this a long time and generally just put up with it but the last couple of days have been really bad. Trouble with it is you know that sensible exercise is good but when you struggle to even get dressed the thought of a brisk walk is fairly low down the list...[:D]

Oily fish for tea then............................................

Crikey, it's even trying to snow now.

I suffer as well and when I was in France for the summer last year, I was walking around like a pidgeon and I am only fifty, I am very partial to red wine and brandy and whilst in France we have a bottle of red wine every night with our dinner, I could not understand why I was worse in France than at home and it was summer.Anyway I went on a diet when I got home, cut out all wine and brandy and like magic all the pain just vannished.I looked it up on the internet and it said in some cases red wine can make the condition worse and that I probably have a gout form of it.Anyway since christmas, I have not been on the diet and red wine has slipped into the picture again and guess what the pain is back.I watch how much I drink and only have red wine at weekends, if I fancy a drink I stick to Vodka, pretty tastless, but I am sure better for the joints.So after all these years I have found out the answer and incidently my mother has done the same and it works for her.Am not sure it will work for everyone , but worth a try all the same.

Gary - I am coming to this late I know. I have arthritis in my wrists and thumbs, and bits and pieces in other places, and I have found glucosamine and cod liver oil tablets work to an extent - we use Seven Seas, don't know what you would have in France. I agree with Chris about warmth - mine can get quite icky after a while in a cold workshop, but then I am usually concentarting on something else!

Now my ankle is another matter - ibuprofen gel and paracetemol for that, to reduce inflammation of the achilles tendon. Only works to a small extent, and exercise makes it worse rather than better.

Come to think of it maybe the booze does play a part? Since cutting it out 9 months ago & completely changing diet there's been no problems this winter...there has to be longer term alternatives than remedial drugs? Losing weight, change of repetetive movements, diet change etc will all play their part. I'm certainly aware of weak spots, fingers, elbows and knees from climbing and other high impact stuff over the years and have changed the stuff that made it hurt, it takes discipline and consistency though.

Recommend LITOZIN, (rosehip basically), it has some effect, when I mentioned it to the doc he spurted his coffee back into the cup and laughed; (but he did specifically say lose weight and lay off alcohol especially brandy! unless it's clear, gin or vodka?, I decided balance was the thing, so I do everything, (except jogging. . .)

[8-|]  Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone.

Wow, loads of stuff to consider. Alcohol is not a problem with me, apart from an odd glass of wine with a meal, I don't even like the stuff [:)].

Glucosamine I've got but keep forgetting to take them plus they are the size of suppositories [+o(]

I actually feel quite a lot better today (the suns out) and my neighbour gave me some Dextropropoxyphene [:-))] a sort of strong paracetamol ....................wonderful pain blockers.

Time for some very gentle gardening I think.................................

Gary.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Glucosamine I've got but keep forgetting to take them plus they are the size of suppositories [+o(]

Gary.

[/quote]

Perhaps you are putting them into the wrong end then, Bugbear; try sticking them where they are intended to go, eh?

Sorry, dear Bugbear, not being flip; you do have my sympathy.  Just trying to make you smile, that's all.  Is it fine enough to get out on the bike?

My surgeon (sounds grand having a surgeon - he's not really 'mine' as I have to share him with the rest of the Cardiff population) recommends fish oil capsules.  Now these little blighters do have a tendancy of repeating themselves (if you know what I mean), which somewhat cramps my style.  So I've taken to swallowing capsules that I bought for my 8 year old son but in double quantities.  I buy them by the shed load when back in the UK in Boots.  I'm the shopper that Boots must love to have. 

The capsules are:

Boots Smart Omega 3 Fish Oil Chewable Capsules

When I forget to take them, my dodgy knee (parachute injury - but that's another story) plays up.  When I remember, I am 10 years younger and less achy.

P.S. Professor Bugbear - I didn't place you into the post-50s age category.  I thought you were much younger.

[quote user="Cathy"]

P.S. Professor Bugbear - I didn't place you into the post-50s age category.  I thought you were much younger.

[/quote]

My mind is [8-|] but my body......................I wish..................................[:D][:D]

Dick: [:D][:D]

My wife uses Chondromax from Healthspan, they post all over the world. It has a combination of Chondroitin and Glucosamine. Fish oils are really great for her too but the quality varies enormously, again she uses Healtspan but there is nothing like a bit of oily fish. See this article in the Daily Mail about research into Cod liver oil and how some arthiritis sufferers were able to reduce their anti inflamatories by up to 30 percent when they took two teaspoons of cod liver oil a day.

We have found over the years that a number of things need to be in place to help, fish oils play their part but they are helped enormously if your diet is good and you exercise regularly. Marathons are not recommended[:)]