Argan Oil

Christine Animal

There was a programme about this oil produced in Morocco on Envoyé Spécial last night, "the most expensive oil in the World" and I had never even heard of it.  It will probably become even more expensive as there are less and less trees to make it from.

It is supposed to have so many virtues, even to help against cholesterol.  Has anyone tried it or know about it?

I had a look in the supermarket today and bought a face cream and some gélules.  There's probably about 2% of argan oil in the cream, but it says over 30% in the gélules.  I feel better already!   [:D]

http://www.arganoilmorocco.com/

Here's the tree, the one you see goats climbing up in.

http://www.argania.org/gb/arganier/arganier.htm

[:D]  [;-)]

probably off topic but I ve tried a moisturizing cream yesterday that I find absolutely wonderful. In seconds my skin was very soft, I felt " comfortable" , it is non greasy, perfect.. Is it possible to give the brand name on the forum?

( I don't work for this brand name !! [:D] )

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Christine I tried it when I was in Morocco a couple of years ago.  They smear it on their bread with butter and eat it with tajines and couscous.  I put on 8lbs in a week and that was with 1 hour work outs every morning in the hotel gym. 

I bought back a small bottle of it for my skin but have never tried it. Frenchie can you PM me the brand of cream you used?[:)]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I bought back a small bottle of it for my skin but have never tried it. [/quote]

I went to a 'bien être' show last week in Vannes with some French friends and all 3 of them bought face cream and suchlike containing argan oil. I apologise for not knowing product names as I am not into expensive face creams - give me pure and simple any day - but they were all very enthusiastic about this oil and quite knowledgeable about it and as they do all have v good skin for their respective ages; not a one being under 60, perhaps there is something in it that is worth considering. The prices were not astronomical either so perhaps a bio and well-being show is the place to find these argan oil products.

Sue

Sue, my cream wasn't expensive, though I don't know how much argan oil is in it.  It was only a few euros at Leclerc, Les Floressances, Crème de Jour Argan.  It has argan oil and argan butter in it, plus other natural ingredients, nothing "d'origine animale" and not tested on animals.  It has a very nice texture even if I smell like an old goat !   [:P]   No, it has orange originel extract and cinnamon milk and that's what it smells of.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Chezstevens"]I believe the Goat's digestive tract is an integral part of the process.[/quote]

Urban legend... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argan_oil

[/quote]

Non-culinary is harvested in this manner as article suggests - glad that Morroccan standards don't allow this method to enter the food chain!!  Loved touring Morrocco on my M/C and the area where Argan oil is produced is beautiful and the oil comes in litre bottles sold at the roadside.

• 2 months later...

Christine, I ve found some shower gel " à l huile d argan" and a hair conditioner too, in Fabio Lucci, Niort..

Does wonder on my hair.. silky and easy to detangle.. ( is that the right verb by the way ? Im never sure of that one !!) [:)]