Trouble With My Interest Boxes

Grecian

I know that it is a bit late in the day, but I have until 6th June to hit the button. This is my first year of declaring online, and whilst if things go smoothly I can see the advantage of declaring online, although the 3916 has been a bit of a pain.

I have a problem with the interest boxes, I have declared the actual amount in box 233, then in box 234 it is asking for a percentage rate, for which I entered 0%. The form then automatically posts the final figure at the end of the 233 boxes, also in box 240 and box 242 the 2TR box. This all seems fine to me but then at the end of the 2047 form it brings up an automatic table of all the foreign income that I am declaring, the only problem is that for the interest amount under Montant it is showing double the amount of interest that I have declared. I have not used the report facility and have entered the correct amount of interest in the 2TR box on the 2042, so all tax and social charges will be calculated on the correct amount.

Am I making a mistake or missing something on the 2047 form, as I cannot get the reporting box to show the correct amount of interest that I am trying to declare.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Well I can answer my own query as to why my interest is being doubled up, but this has now thrown up another question. Basically on the 2047 I have entered the interest twice, once in the aforementioned boxes starting at 233, and then further down the form in another 2TR box, with the side heading of 'Intérêts et autres produits de placement à revenu fixe'. Looking back at last years form I entered my interest starting at box 222, but basically the same set of boxes that this year start at 233.

I tried entering the interest in just the second 2TR box only, but the form would not let me proceed without entering something in 233. So I am guessing that using the 233, 240 and 244 boxes are the way to go.

Can somebody explain to me why there are 2, 2TR boxes on the same form.[:-))]

First, it is better to complete 2047 first and then "report" the figures back automatically to 2042. This avoids figures from 2047 being added to figures already in 2042 rather than inserting them into empty boxes.

To answer your question on 2TR. You need to read the notes for 2047.

There are separate sections on page on page 3 of the notes for the lines beginning 230 and 238 (although those all total down to 2TR in line 242 explaining what goes in those lines.

On page 4 there is a paragraph on the section 26 explaining the figures which need to be put in that 2TR for different interest charges.

So the two 2TR lines can contain different figures as they are for different cases of interest payments. I assume those are totalled on the "report" page and then transferred to 2042.

I've not worked out how the data in 2TR is used in calculating any tax. The whole Avis d'impot makes little sense to me when compared to the supplied figures!

When I submitted my form I completed lines 230-242 (in the way you had calculated your interest except I used an interest rate of 0.01 as there were reports of problems last where 0% was assumed to be an unfilled box and was replaced by 17%). I then just ignored all the lines from 250 onwards as they were not relevant to me. If you have completed the 233 etc lines you need to put the result in 242 2TR not on the other 2TR

Thanks for your reply pomme, much appreciated. I agree that it would be better to fill in the 2047 first, but when I logged into my account for the first time, only the 2042 was showing, it wasn't until I hatched the 8UU box for the foreign bank accounts that the 2047 showed up on the side.

When I first moved to France I used an accountant for the first three years, until I discovered he was useless, and for the last 5 six years I have completed the form myself, up until this year on paper. To be honest I just followed what he done when filling in the boxes, so I have always put my interest figure in what was until this year box 222. It was my own mistake that I must have entered the same figure in the lower of the 2TR boxes, and then went back and filled in from 233 afterwards, thus as you mentioned the figures were added together, and was producing double the actual interest payment.

I have taken your advice and amended the percentage figure to 0.01%, I see that it does not change any of the calculations. I was aware that the figures from the 2047 has to be carried over to the 2TR box on the 2042. I have manually entered all figures from the 2047 to the 2042 form. Maybe next year if I am not in jail, the whole process will be a lot easier.[:D]

Once again many thanks.