Stupid +

powerdesal

[quote]When the pair were allegedly found having sex by a policeman, he is

said to have let them off with a caution. However, later, after the

couple were discovered in the same position
, they were arrested, and

Miss Palmer is said to have become aggressive.[/quote]

Jeez, and I thought it was only dogs that couldn't be separated once they started.

[quote user="Lotmontel"]And...' Let That Be A Lesson' to us ex-pats / immigrants / newcomers (however we call ourselves!) that it is usually better to follow the national / local rules! [:D][/quote]

It MIGHT be nice if those who immigrated to the UK took THAT advice[:(]

[quote user="trees 2"][quote user="Lotmontel"]And...' Let That Be A Lesson' to us ex-pats / immigrants / newcomers (however we call ourselves!) that it is usually better to follow the national / local rules! [:D][/quote]

It MIGHT be nice if those who immigrated to the UK took THAT advice[:(]
[/quote]

when i migrated to the uk i never followed the local costume of getting drunk every friday/saturday night... should i have been punished for that? [:)]

[quote user="Polremy"]I thought the issue was keeping within the local/national LAWS and realising that if you don't you just might be punished - and possibly severely![/quote]

No, I'll resist telling the tale of the punishment doled out to a set of Iraqi immigrants fighting with Bengladeshi immigrants, on the streets, of our town, knives, swords, petrol bombs and machetes.

Oh, go on then: community leaders called in to coffee with the local police chief. NO prosecutions!

Now...........imagine the result had it been MY white lads attacking Iraqi immigrants to tell them to stay away from white girls..................[:(]

When in  Jeddah Saudi Arabia an American rep failed to turn up at a presentation we were doing .After many enquiries it turned out he was in a police cell.. He had apparently had an accident at a road junction with a Saudi National. The judges ruling was that if he had stayed in America the accident would not have occurred. He was locked up for I believe 6 months. That was about 25 years ago, I hope things have improved since then?

On the TV's at the Hotel you were advised of the days when Families went to public buildings,when single men were allowed to shop and of different times to use swimming pools etc. A bit strict but at least you knew the rules and the penalties if you caused problems. Pity a big rule book wasn't dished out to those entering UK. However with all the rights , inability  and unwillingness to prosecute any thieves/druggies etc I think it might be a trifle too late.

Regards.

No sympathy from me I'm afraid. Even the most feeble minded cannot fail to be aware that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable in that part of the world.

I hope she enjoyed it because it'll likely be some time before she'll be whoring on the beach again.

Lucky it wasn't Saudi, they make the Emirates look positively liberal [:-))]

PS: I see she works (or rather worked [:P]) for an advertising agency, what's that they say - 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' !

I happen to know Jumeira beach very well. It's where I used to ahhhhmm...

I do remember well though that the police used to be very tollerant towards Westerners in that part of the world. I think it was to do with the fact that the police chiefs were usually British nationals and also that the nationals themselves in Bahrain and Dubai were usually very courteous.

Back in the 80's I went through a Dubai radar trap and was stopped and given a ticket. The policeman was very appologetic but I told him not to feel bad and I would pay the fine. For some strange reason ( I think picking up my girlfriend on the way to Jumeira beach) I went through the same radar trap again half an hour later doing the same speed. The policeman who stopped me was the same one who had stopped me a half hour before. He had smile on his face as he handed me the ticket. "You will have to appear in court for two tickets. This has never happened before". Well I did feel a bit silly and I remember the smiles on their faces at the court.

You now pay the speeding fines when you re-register your car annually. I havn't had one for a couple of years now (touching wood frantically) but last time I did, because it was only one offence I was told that I just wasn't trying hard enough !!!!!!!

The guy in front of me was peeling lots of notes off a wad to pay multiple fines.

The jumeira beach road is one long radar trap [:(] with a low speed limit.

Powersdeal may know? I got the impression that in Qatar things were even stricter.? I was lucky enough to stay in that Pyramid shaped hotel in Doha while doing a carpet job. On the TV it reminded you of all the do's and dont's  of Ramadan and also of all the free services available at the Doctors and Hospitals. I believe there is also no income tax?

Regards.

I also believe Qatar is more strict than Dubai, for that matter Sharjah is much more strict than Dubai (no alcohol or pork products on sale) and its next door. Whilst Dubai is, on the surface, more 'liberated' there are still very strict no-no's. Drugs, public sex ,drunk driving and being drunk in a public place (this includes in a taxi) are just some of them. Whilst co-habiting is also illegal, everyone knows it happens but as long as it is not openly flaunted there is not normally a problem. Public shows of affection are usually limited to a quick kiss hello / goodbye at the airport, this is not a problem, much more would possibly be.

Ramadan can be real pain, except that the working hours are reduced. [:)]. You have to be aware and stock up with (highly taxed) booze before Ramadan starts or go without, as the booze shops are closed. There is no restriction on drinking in private at your own home etc at any time, Ramadan or not.

There is no income tax in the UAE, (or any GCC state) or, strictly speaking, the income tax rate is Zero. This makes a difference because there is a double taxation agreement with France which means French expats can claim to pay tax in the UAE (at zero rate) and not pay tax in France. So the French expats tell me.

I think the bars in hotels ( Dubai, no bars in Sharjah hotels at any time) are still open in an evening after 'Iftar' at sundown. It was buying booze for home consumption I meant.

The booze shops are pretty crowded by Expats during the week before Ramadan, stocking up for the month.

I think Ramadan starts mid Sept this year. Shame I will miss it    [:D]

I remember flying to Malaysia one New Year's Eve.  As Midnight approached (I think from the turbulence, probably over the Middle East), champagne corks were popped. 

As I was sitting next to a Muslim chap, I got to drink his champagne as well as my own!  Nice!

• 2 weeks later...