Are there any Andy Murray supporters out there?

mint

Anyone tennis fans following the US Open and anyone supporting Murray?

Haven't been able to find out where to watch the games so have been contenting myself with following the results elsewhere on the media.

Murray must have some fans I suppose though I am not one of them!

Hi Sweet17,

I'm a Nadal supporter but I'm pleased to see Murray playing well at the US Open. As he is the only British player at that level I do follow him and am pleased when he does well.  I think I will still be hoping for Nadal to win the semi-final.

Like you I haven't been able to watch any matches as we don't have Canal +. However, I was looking at the TV schedule this morning and saw that Eurosport are showing all the men's quarter finals tomorrow so will try to catch some of that.  Up until now they have only shown the women's matches and I don't follow those.

Hi lorna

Like you, I am a keen Nadal supporter.  I believe in a guy with Nadal's determination and dedication to his game.

Would be great if Nadal could win this title to add to the others he's already won this year.

I don't think one can write off Federer yet, however.  He cannot possibly be the spent force that the cruel media would have him be.

Yes,  I feel a bit sorry for Federer, he has had a hard time of it this year. I wonder whether the illness is still affecting him. But he has been at the top for a long time so maybe this is the end of his supremacy.  In recent matches he has been making vast numbers of unforced errors and that is quite unusual for him.

This year is the first time I've had the time and opportunity to watch and follow the tournaments. I hadn't realised how many the players have to play. I was soon impressed by Nadal and his attitude - he never seems to expect to win, takes one match at a time and never gives up. Although I'd like to see him win the tournament I wouldn't be too worried if he doesn't make it. He has already achieved so much this year and I think most of the top players are exhausted and looking forward to a rest.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Is it just for his tennis skills that Nadal is so admired?[6][/quote]

The answer is undoubtedly 'No', but probably not quite in the way that you are thinking[:P]. There are lots of very skilled players (Murray is one) and some of those are possibly more skilled. Many also have other characteristics which can be admired [:D].

If you follow Nadal and read his blogs or listen to interviews it is hard not to be impressed by him. He is very family oriented, down to earth and seems to be impossibly unaffected by the life he has to lead (and fortune he must be making). He is clearly very intelligent and has a disarming knack of not giving interviewers the answers they seem to be expecting. I am amazed how he and other players who are all so young can conduct themselves so well especially when they may have just spent hours in a gruelling match in melting temperatures.

lorna, you are so right in all that you have said.

The boy is wise beyond his years and I like his "niceness"; still his uncle as mentor, still likes Majorca and going out fishing in his friend's dad's boat, so (apparently) unaffected by his fame and fortune (not to mention the hordes of young women after him).

Just such a nice lad and with such a wonderful "I'll try my best" attitude, never underestimating his opponent and just giving 100% and more each and every game.

Hell, you've got to admire that, haven't you?

Has anyone noticed that Andy Murray has unusual fluctuations in his approach to some matches?  For example, he was injured and couldn't play for GB in the Davis Cup, but was able to win matches really well the following week.  Then he didn't do very well in the Olympics - out in round two, I think.  Yet only a couple of weeks later, is doing so well in a grand slam.

A cynic might say that money was a particularly good motivator in tennis matches  [;-)]

Now you mention it, yes, it is really very strange.

Even stranger, at the moment, he is 2 sets up against Nadal in the semi. How on earth has this happened?

Nevermind, rain has stopped play and Nadal will have "regrouped" by the time play recommences.

Vamos, Rafa!

[quote user="Thibault"]

Has anyone noticed that Andy Murray has unusual fluctuations in his approach to some matches?  For example, he was injured and couldn't play for GB in the Davis Cup, but was able to win matches really well the following week.  Then he didn't do very well in the Olympics - out in round two, I think.  Yet only a couple of weeks later, is doing so well in a grand slam.

A cynic might say that money was a particularly good motivator in tennis matches  [;-)]

[/quote]

Can't really blame him.

And tennis, like football should not be olympic sports anyway, particularly football as that is a professional sport.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="Thibault"]

[/quote]

Can't really blame him.

[/quote]

Well....the LTA paid a very large sum of money to get him a coach - can't think of his name but he was a US ex-player - who was brought over to work specifically with Murray.  Presumably this was done not only that Murray could improve his game and make money, but also represent his country at the few events the UK take part in, ie Davis Cup and Olympics.

His attitude, particularly with regard to the Davis Cup, contrasts rather poorly against the efforts of Henman and Greg R over the past few years. 

However - a good match against Nadal [:)],  It is good to see a UK player in a final.  I am quite torn re the outcome of the final - I want a UK player to win, but I prefer Roger Federer and would like him to win, especially after his poor year.  [8-)]

Congratulations to Andy and good luck in the final!

Last words on/from Nadal though [:)].

Nadal on the match:
'Andy played better than me both yesterday and today and he deserved to win. No excuses, no complaints.'

On the change of court etc.:
'The conditions are the same for both players and he simply played better'

On the final:
'Good luck to both and let's hope we see a great tennis match.'

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2008/09/murray-was-bett.html

Edit: sorry about the font changes - not intentional.

It's not exactly that I don't want Andy Murray to win; it's that I can't stand the crowing...from him, from his mother, his strength coach, his tennis coach, his cook, his psychologist, the British media and so on and so on.

Couldn't stand the biased commentary when the game was in progress and it spoiled it all for me.

Contrast all that when Nadal thrashed poor Federer in the French Open (3 straight sets).  The Spaniard gave a modest and brief  interview, accepted his trophy and left the stadium quickly without fuss or milking the moment.

IMHO, it's not the winning that counts but the way it is done and the conduct of the victor afterwards.  That's the difference between the men and the boys and no one could persuade me otherwise.

In the immortal words of whatisname, "Play up, play up and play the game!" (though he was writing about war as a game so the stakes were rather higher).

I haven't seen/heard Murray's comments yet - will check it out.

I was going to listen to the Canal+ commentary via the mosaic screens and just happened to try selecting one of the channels which was showing the end of the match and was surprised to find that it came up! Normally we just get a screen telling us we need to subscribe.

I couldn't believe how hard both players were hitting the ball even during long rallys - I don't know how they sustain that. Murray played really well, definitely the best I've seen him play. I didn't think Nadal played badly, he just couldn't find a way to get the better of Murray.

Watching the two of them I thought that either would beat Federer easily - we'll see!

Just watched the match this morning. It was good to see Federer playing so well again and to win a major tournament.

Murray looked tired and seemed to have an injury. I was surprised he didn't call for some treatment. Still, a good result for him to have got so far.

I have read that the tape of Nadal's after match interview should be required viewing for all tennis players:  for his graciousness in defeat, his tribute to his opponent and his attitude towards his loss.

He apparently was happy to have got so far and he was going home to his beloved Majorca to rest and do some fishing!  No sign of frustration or any regret, by all accounts.

Remarkable chap!