Ouchhh

Frenchie

I got burnt tonight, on the tip of my fingers ( right hand) while taking my " tartiflette" out of the oven...

really painful.. I left my hand under running water for a while, but now it is still hurting.. I know it happened to me alre&ady, but I don't remember what is best to do.....

[8-)]

Sorry to hear about you little accident Frenchie but whilst immediate cooling can help to minimise the actual extent of the injury after about 5 or 10 minutes the damage is done and if you could keep your hand under the tap for the rest of the night it won't make it better, it may help relieve the pain though as you have found.[:(]

I hope the tartiflettet was good, whatever it is [kiss]

It is one of my son's favourite dishes..

I thought I'd please him when he comes back from a week end with his dad, who's really basic as regards cooking ..[:)]

With a green salad, it is a real treat.

My fingers won't prevent me from sleeping, I hope it will be better in the morning..

I have put some Biafine on it now...

so sorry - hope it feels better soon. Last time I had tartiflette it was at a resto on the slopes in Champery (Swiss side of Avoriaz) - it was a beautiful day, fantastic snow, good friends .. and too much wine. I was skiing like a bomb afterwards, missed a turn and ended up with a broken and dislocated middle finger. Fortunately I was with a GP and 2 dentists- 2 held by head and shoulders, whilst the 3rd pulled on my finger until it re-engaged, the strapped it with a velcro ski tie! Ouch. It is still very wonky!    Delicious tartiflette - but also very dangerous it seems.

[quote user="ErnieY"]No, never heard of it Clair, nor had 'er indoors, but she has now and says thanks for the recipe [;-)][/quote]

I'm sure you'll both enjoy it!

The only change I would suggest to the recipe would be at the end, where it says to put the whole cheese onto the potatoes. Traditionally, the cheese is sliced in two horizontal halves and each half placed onto the potatoes skin up.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="ErnieY"]No, never heard of it Clair, nor had 'er indoors, but she has now and says thanks for the recipe [;-)][/quote]
 Traditionally, the cheese is sliced in two horizontal halves and each half placed onto the potatoes skin up.
[/quote]

And where traditionally do you put the Branston? [:D]

I do sympathise Frenchie, burns can be very painful indeed.  I always have Aloe Vera growing in the garden or in a pot.  If you burn yourself then (as stated above) minimum 10 minutes in cold water to stop the skin cooking then rip an aloe vera leaf off and squeeze the juice over the burn. I don't know how but it works wonders.  I was told this trick by a blacksmith from Arizona and he sould know a thing or two about burns!

Thanks, really, for your answers..

Now I ll make sure I ll always have aloe vera at home, as well as that Manuka Honey I had never heard of..

Where can it be found ?

You're all very helpful.

Today it still hurts a bit but less than last night..

As for the tartiflette, yes, I cut the cheese in two halves and place it on the dish, skin up.

Tartiflette s a real treat .

It is good to swap French and English recipes. ( Sweet17 gave me the recipe for chicken soup yesterday.)

[quote user="teapot"][quote user="Clair"] Traditionally, the cheese is sliced in two horizontal halves and each half placed onto the potatoes skin up.

[/quote]And where traditionally do you put the Branston? [:D][/quote]

Sacrilège!

You'll be wanting pickled onions with it next! [:-))]

Frenchie,

I agree with another post earlier - Lavender oil is brill.

I carry it all times - when my daughter got burnt whilst swimming during the summer a few years ago I covered all the burns with the lavender oil - it does not sting and heals the skin leaving no scar. It is the only natural oil that can be applied directly to the skin (did an aromatherapy couse a while back).

The healing properties were discovered by a French chemist who having burnt his hand on a bunsen burner, had a bowl of lavender oil nearby and putting his hand into the bowl, discovered these properties- that is what we were taught in our class anyway!

Hope your fingers have stopped hurting now.

As cooperlola will attest, my digestive tract is not my best bit, and on that basis tartiflette ought not to be a good thing for me to nosh. Yet every time I eat it I enjoy it and it offers no disturbance to the cooperlola2 equilibrium. At the race at Le Mans, there is sometimes a chap with a huge wok-like thingie - maybe 2 metres or more in diameter - into which he hurls the tartiflette ingredients to huge effect. He truly does have the world's largest wooden spoon to stir the pot! It is then served in cardboard containers and is excellent. You can also get it in supermarkets frozen - or, on a good day, you can get cooperlola to make one, which is always successful. I think she made one alfresco last year on a campsite in Belgium - much enjoyed by  a dozen or more people - using someone's gas-powered wok. Cooperlola hankers after such a device herself, now!