Free banking - at last!

Daft Doctor

At long last we've been able to secure banking in France which is truly free by default! We have just returned to Axa Banque as our principal bank, having got sick of paying over 250 euros a year in fees at Banque Populaire des Alpes for no extra benefit whatsoever. Our Axa current account and normal transactions, along with gold Visa cards x 2 are free, no charges whatsoever, no cotisations carte or frais de gestion compte. We only pay something if we don't spend 900 euros each per 3 month period on our cards, which for us is no challenge whatsoever. Axa is an online bank, though phone contact is easy and emails are dealt with within 2 working days. We are understandably pleased!

There is now a 'mobilité bancaire' service throughout France, so changing all our prélèvements, etc, was easy, all done via an online mandate generated by Axa. The only challenge was closing our account and leaving BPA, akin to Brexit negotiations at some point, but we got there with no exit costs (think they've now been banned in France?). BPA didn't once ask why we were leaving or show any interest in keeping us, but can't say I'm surprised. When I questioned the level of their fees last year, the manager looked at me and said 'well, you're paying for me, aren't you!', as if I should be grateful...........

Interesting, I am on my 2nd and 3rd French banks now and still deeply unsatisfied, for my own protection I have to have the next one in place in order to close an existing one hence the 2nd and 3rd.

Is there any provision with AXA banque for paying in cheques, perhaps by post?

I wont ask about cash as that would be stretching things, I dont mind having to stockpile that [:D]

Will have to look to see if I am spending €900 per trimestre on the bank cards, probably am.

Hi Chancer, you're right about cash, can't pay that in directly, but it might be possible via a local Axa agency, you would need to check that. You do indeed send cheques to a central Axa sorting office in Paris, a bit of an inconvenience if you process a lot of them I suppose.

Well done and thanks for the info DD. You have started an interesting thread.

Following Normans post are we now seeing a more competitive banking sector in France? (don't want to go to the brexit argument btw)

For our situation, we are with BP and a couple of years ago cancelled our cards as they were costing lots and we were not using them much which is a different situation to you.

We(me) were(was) very pleased when they recently sent us info in the UK to enable us to access our account through the internet.

I must admit that I am very annoyed when one has to be looking at best options all the time nowadays.

My other half (Chartered Accountant with a big firm) seems to accept this as normal (though not acceptable).

Hope this doesn't upset TP.

NB being very cynical is it really free. - they are probably getting something from you every time you have a transaction.

We are with ING, it is free. Providing you keep either a certain amount in your account (think its over 5000) or you pay in a certain monthly amount. We both have debit cards, current and savings accounts. No cheque book or easy ability to pay in cash. The telephone staff have always been most helpful. The amounts you can take out on the card each month are much less restrictive than our CA card.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]Has anyone tried Orange as a bank?[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, different branch of the corporation etc, but Orange manage to completely fork up my phone bill every couple of months. I wouldnt trust them with a childs piggybank, just on principal.

[quote user="dave21478"][quote user="BritinBretagne"]Has anyone tried Orange as a bank?[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, different branch of the corporation etc, but Orange manage to completely fork up my phone bill every couple of months. I wouldnt trust them with a childs piggybank, just on principal.

[/quote]

Poor, poor you. They have provided me with excellent service.

Hi Norman, yes I didn't see your post re Boursarama, and if they offer free banking too, that is great news.

The 'Mobilité Bancaire' service is something everyone should be aware of though, as it is now offered by all banks and makes the task of changing banks relatively simple and cost free. BPA used to charge 90 euros (complete rip-off) for closing an account, but they've had to conform and ditch the charge. The point is that if anyone wants to benefit from cheaper banking, be it Axa Banque, Boursarama, ING or whoever, they can do it without breaking sweat.