It's not just French ones!

Albert the InfoGipsy

Had a conversation with a UK civil servant in HMRC today.

Having spoken to the Centre for non-residents in Bootle about moving to France I was told to ring my own tax office (Lothian) and ask for a Form PAC5. So I rang the number and got the usual 'We need to ask some questions to identify you'. Fair enough.

'Full name?'

'DoB?'

'NI Number?'

'Address? .... Ah! which one do they have? I moved three times in the last year before coming to France. Gave her the latest address. '

'Any pensions?' Yes.

'Who with?' Old employer name has changed twice since I left, so guessed the one they wanted.

'Pension payroll number?' What??? Couldn't find it.

'Sorry, you have not passed identification, so I can only answer general questions.'

Fair enough. OK, how do I get my form?

'You need to write to us giving your personal details and asking for a form.'

Fair enough. What address do I write to?

'You didn't pass identification, so I can't tell you that!'

Oh! Good grief!

Ah so it's not just me.

I phoned through to the UK about Pension Credits and had the same experience. Made it to question three I think and was told the same thing. No explanation other that I'd failed the security check and that I'd have to submit a written application. I have a feeling that the data held on me was not up to date somewhere - even though I get mail here in France from various UK government departments.

By the way if anyone is interested it seems you can get pension credit as long as you are over 60, and even if you are not in receipt of a state pension. That's what I was told anyway so my application is on it's way.

By the way if anyone is interested it seems you can get pension credit as long as you are over 60, and even if you are not in receipt of a state pension. That's what I was told anyway so my application is on it's way.

If you are not a UK resident then I don't think it applies to you.

Oops yes, thanks for pointing it out gosub.... I should have made that clear - it's a bit like winter fuel payments in that you do of course have to be a UK resident.

We actually plan to move back to the UK in the new year which was why I mentioned it. Not sure though if once you get it you can then move out of the UK - again, like the fuel payments.

[quote user="gosub"]

If you are not a UK resident then I don't think it applies to you.

[/quote]

And its means tested.

and it doesn't include an E121